Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Book on open Sicilian for White (Read 20404 times)
dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Re: Book on open Sicilian for White
Reply #20 - 02/03/10 at 13:54:41
Post Tools
He wrote that 15 months ago, you know.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #19 - 02/03/10 at 11:25:14
Post Tools
notyetagm wrote on 09/24/08 at 20:29:17:
An upcoming book by EVERYMAN CHESS is just what you need. Smiley

http://www.everymanchess.com/display.php?id=491

This book looks stupendous! It is exactly what I need, as I am actually stupid enough to follow McDonald's recommendation in Starting Out: 1 e4! and play the Open Siclian.

Seven Ways to Smash the Sicilian
Yury Lapshun Nick Conticello

One of the main reasons the Sicilian is the most popular opening is that is it promotes such bold and aggressive chess. But as White it's not enough just to attack; you must do so in the right way, using the appropriate weapons. In this book Yury Lapshun and Nick Conticello introduce, categorize and analyse the 'Seven Deadly Sacrifices' White has at his disposal. It's impossible to play Open Sicilian positions with either colour without an intimate knowledge of these sacrifices, and by using illustrative games the authors teach you everything you need to know, including the vital skill of how to recognize when favourable sacrificial conditions arise.

*The ultimate guide to Sicilian bashing

*Covers main lines of the Sicilian

*Includes a feast of entertaining games and violent sacrifices

Published June 2009 EU, July 2009 US | ISBN 9781857445954
Format Paperback, 192 pages

This post is almost identical to another one you made elsewhere:

notyetagm wrote on 07/22/08 at 21:11:22:

This book looks stupendous! It is exactly what I need, as I am actually stupid enough to follow McDonald's recommendation in Starting Out: 1 e4! and play the Open Siclian.

One of the main reasons the Sicilian is the most popular opening is that is it promotes such bold and aggressive chess. But as White it's not enough just to attack; you must do so in the right way, using the appropriate weapons. In this book Yury Lapshun and Nick Conticello introduce, categorize and analyse the 'Seven Deadly Sacrifices' White has at his disposal. It's impossible to play Open Sicilian positions with either colour without an intimate knowledge of these sacrifices, and by using illustrative games the authors teach you everything you need to know, including the vital skill of how to recognize when favourable sacrificial conditions arise.

A book is "stupendous" that you haven´t even seen yet? Do me a favour. I´ve seen that you have started a thread on another "upcoming" everyman book elsewhere in a similar fashion. These kind of posts are blatant advertising, please stop hijacking the forum like this.

IP Logged

edgy

"Long ago he was one of
the singers"

Reply #18 - 09/24/08 at 20:48:40
Post Tools
notyetagm wrote on 09/24/08 at 20:29:17:

Be aware that it won't offer a repertoire  nor detailed coverage of opening lines.  It's just about the typical White sacrifices, and how and when they work.

Caissa have mercy on a miserable patzer: http://altergoniff.blogspot.com
IP Logged

notyetagm

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #17 - 09/24/08 at 20:29:17
Post Tools

IP Logged

Alluren
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 09/24/08 at 08:58:46
Post Tools
Thanks all for your contributions. I guess, I'll start with experts vs Sicilian + Khalifman books. They seem to be the closest from what I'm looking for (Bg5 or Be3 + 0-0-0 lines).

The informants are great but they lacks text explanations which is for me important (at least at the beginning).

IP Logged

Holbox

Saigón Café

Reply #15 - 09/24/08 at 07:02:02
Post Tools
"Desmontando la Siciliana", You better buy it at the editorial site. I have used it some times with a very good service.

http://www.esferaeditorial.com/es/compra.php

"Ladran, luego cabalgamos", NN

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #14 - 09/24/08 at 04:42:23
Post Tools
Boki,
Thanks for that tip. Very easy to miss non-English texts.

A proven author. Looks a hefty time. May well be worth a look.

Found it here:

http://www.indalchess.com/tienda/product_info.php?cPath=21_39&products_id=108&os...

Any Spanish know if this site is reliable?

best,

Bibs

IP Logged

boki

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 09/23/08 at 23:02:29
Post Tools
Besides the Anad-books by Khalifman and experts vs. sicilian there is also a nice spanish book by GM de la Villa "desmetando la siciliana".
However it is quite difficult to get.

It is  a very nice book, all main lines , English attack vs Najdorf, Jugoslavian attack against dragon and so on.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 09/23/08 at 08:33:05
Post Tools
All good advice so far.

In addition Dangerous Weapons the sicillian contains quite a few white lines which are sound enough and - importantly - feel like 'proper' open Sicillian lines.

You'd probably want to replace some/many of them eventually but they're certainly good for getting a feel for the kinds of positions you're after long term without massive theory.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #11 - 09/22/08 at 18:44:12
Post Tools
Yeah I'm not so sure I would use Starting Out: 1. e4! I would lean towards using the Khalifman series if you want strong lines, but you'd have to be willing to do a little bit of work, because the Sicilian covers Volumes 8-10 now, and 11 is coming out soon, with 12 and probably 13 to follow! Experts is quite good too, but with the amount of material to cover in the open sicilians, you expect some shortcutting or missed variations. I also greatly prefer the tree format in Khalifman to complete games. In my opinion the complete games format loses more and more value as the material gets more and more complicated. In the case of the entire open sicilians complex, a tree format is a better choice imo.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #10 - 09/22/08 at 18:20:55
Post Tools
McDonalds Starting out 1 e4 recommends open Sicilians and he appears to be useing Adams games a lot. Only problem with this book is that there are many umentioned moves and some annotations are not 100% accurate (for example Anand- van Wely) and sometimes not deep enough.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #9 - 09/22/08 at 14:33:25
Post Tools
I would certainly use "Experts vs The Sicilian" as a start. When I played the open sicilian myself, I was using "Beating The Sicilian 2" and "Beating The Sicilian 3". A good thing with these books is that you get a feel of which sicilians there are and possible transpositions. Both books (EVTS and BTS) advocate main lines. This is very hard work but should be quite rewarding. I haven't studied EVTS that close, but it seems good. The chess stars series that TalJechin mentioned is of course another option. It's more recent. Again, main lines are given and you'll have many many pages to digest.

Another way would be to look at certain 1.e4-players. Adams is now playing the open sicilian and play calm but not lame variations.

PS. I find it a bit odd that people suggest anti sicilians when the original question asked for material for the open sicilian.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #8 - 09/22/08 at 12:29:01
Post Tools
There is also 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.Nf3 e5 to deal with. And both the GP and the KIA, even in these limited versions, demand a surprising amount of work.
At the other hand 7.Nd5 against the Svesjnikov is not very theoretical.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

Reply #7 - 09/22/08 at 09:07:31
Post Tools
Yes I agree with you, that repertoire for White is interesting. But Sveshnikov's players could try to get their opening after 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.Nf3 e6 4.d4 cxd4 5.Nxd4 Nf6 and now the most played is 6.Nb5 which often result into a Sveshnikov transposition with 6..d6 7.Bf4 e5 8.Bg5. So, what would you suggest, the second most popular: 6.Nxc6?

Other well-known idea is to get an "optimal" c3 Sicilian with 2.Nf3 and 3.c3 only against 2..Nc6 or 2..e6 where Black is now less flexible. Of course against 2..d6, 3.c3 is not the same system.

IP Logged

flaviddude

Re:  use sneaky move order
Reply #6 - 09/22/08 at 02:45:03
Post Tools
One approach worth considering is

1. e4 c5
2. Nc3

(a) Nc6
3.Nf3 (e6 or d6)
4.d4 cxd
5. Nxd4 and black has missed out on the Nadjorf Kan and Sveshnikov.

you are still going to have to learn to play against the classical, dragon, scheveningen and Taimanov  but you have greatly reduced what yo need to learn.

(b) 2...d6
3.f4 with the best version of the Grand Priz Attack.

(c) 2..e6
3. Qe2 with a King's Indian attack.

I am hopelessly addicted to the King's Gambit

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo