Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) "Glek Variation" (Read 6222 times)
urusov

Re: "Glek Variation"
Reply #10 - 03/28/09 at 12:12:06
Post Tools
The problem of nomenclature is amusing: people started calling the exd4 followed by Nc6 line the Glek Variation in the 90s and then Glek switched to Na6 and started calling that the Glek Variation himself.  So while both systems should be attributed to Glek, the latter with Na6 continues to generate the most interest (as the writers here demonstrate).

I think Glek's earlier exd4 and Nc6 line is quite playable and great below master level because of its tricky tactics and piece play.  I think it became less attractive at higher levels due to Black's long-term structural concessions and the likelihood of many minor piece exchanges.

If I had the time I'd give you a thorough bibliography.  Among the better sources are the "Positional Repertoire" book by Gufeld and Kalinichenko mentioned above,  "Opening for White According to Kramnik, 1.Nf3: Modern Lines in the King's Indian Defence" by Alexander Khalifman, "The New Classical King's Indian" by John Nunn and Graham Burgess, two articles by Glek himself in NIC Yearbook (maybe volumes 39 and 41 -- it can be looked up at the NIC website), and some coverage in Gallagher's "Starting Out: KID."

As usual, the Khalifman material is most challenging and worth having.

IP Logged

ChessMonkey

You may ask yourself,
well, how did I get here?

Reply #9 - 03/24/09 at 18:58:12
Post Tools
I've been trying the Na6 classical recently (last month or so) with relatively good results, although I still am finding my way around this variation, after having played the "normal" Nc6 lines for a few decades and just having to spend too much time on theory with White's various options.  Playing Na6 eases that burden a bit, so I'm giving it a go and seeing what happens for awhile.

IP Logged

Zatox

Reply #8 - 03/24/09 at 10:44:49
Post Tools
Quote:
As in many other variations there is no clear advantage for white ...
I think there is a variation in the mainline with white pawn to c5 on the 10th or 11th move that is said to be critical ...
I don't like Na6 anyway ...
if you play Na6 in the kid ... why play the kid at all?
Nc6 is more principled and more attacking ...
Also many GM's favor Nc6.
Also this has been discusses already ...

I play Na6, the reason is because there is much less theory, Black (And white) can start earlier with playing their own chess, which is why I play this game. Nc6 is just sooo much theory. I'd rather play a more quiet (But still interesting) position with still attacking chances then learning theory until move 30.

Ontopic: I think there are to many good alternatives for KI players to make the glek interesting.
Nc6 for the theoritican
Na6/Nbd7 for people who still like to attack without being outprepared.
etc etc.

'Experts vs The Sicilian' is a great book, but it is not the Bible. - TopNotch

IP Logged

Zatara

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 03/23/09 at 03:51:04
Post Tools
thanks for the replies.  However I am not talking about the Na6 line, but an exchange on d4 and then Nc6 which Glek has used.  What is the sequence to the c5 move by white on move 10 or 11? 
Thanks,
Zatara

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 03/22/09 at 20:02:54
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 03/22/09 at 19:17:51:
This reminds me of something Keene and Jacobs wrote some years ago (7...Na6 being akin to 7...Nbd7 -- the former was originally conceived as a sort of improved version of the latter):

Many players like to play the King's Indian, but harbour reservations about the positional simplicity of the main lines with 7...Nc6.  In these variations, Black is often obliged to burn his boats early on, and if checkmate isn't forthcoming on the kingside, the result can be a demoralising defeat.  Players priding themselves on the subtle, strategic nature of their game often resent reducing the complexity of the struggle to a simple equation of "give checkmate or lose."

If you come into this category, then 7...Nbd7, maintaining the tension, is a perfectly reasonable choice.  Black reserves the possibility of playing in all sectors of the board, and leaving the centre open means that it is not so easy for White to formulate a plan.

Quite nice and on the money I think. Perhaps Cyronix has a point that if want to play the King's Indian you have to do so wholehearted. But some flexibilty is nice.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #5 - 03/22/09 at 19:17:51
Post Tools
This reminds me of something Keene and Jacobs wrote some years ago (7...Na6 being akin to 7...Nbd7 -- the former was originally conceived as a sort of improved version of the latter):

Many players like to play the King's Indian, but harbour reservations about the positional simplicity of the main lines with 7...Nc6.  In these variations, Black is often obliged to burn his boats early on, and if checkmate isn't forthcoming on the kingside, the result can be a demoralising defeat.  Players priding themselves on the subtle, strategic nature of their game often resent reducing the complexity of the struggle to a simple equation of "give checkmate or lose."

If you come into this category, then 7...Nbd7, maintaining the tension, is a perfectly reasonable choice.  Black reserves the possibility of playing in all sectors of the board, and leaving the centre open means that it is not so easy for White to formulate a plan.

IP Logged

cyronix
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/22/09 at 18:49:42
Post Tools
Oh damn, you are right.
I just read the "Glek-Variation", but I didn't look at the moves ... Smiley
the Na6 variation is also called "Glek variation" ...
I made an error here and I am very sorry ...

to answer your last question:
the nimzo is a clear positional equalizer ... straightforward ...
so is the kid, it is a straightforward attacking opening ...
but this *Na6* move ... it just doesn't fit!
on the one hand you give white the queenside so you can play on kingside, but then you you change your mind and try to develop your queenside too, although your piece coordination is aimed for playing kingside ... this is not straightforward ... it's just a way of moving forward and backwards, this way you won't move much neither in one direction nor in the other ...

Schaakhamster wrote on 03/22/09 at 16:11:45:
Quote:
I think there is a variation in the mainline with white pawn to c5 on the 10th or 11th move that is said to be critical ...

if this topic would about Na6 you might have a point

and even then, if your logic is carried further: why play the king indian when the nimzo-indian is more popular on gm-level?

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 03/22/09 at 16:11:45
Post Tools
Quote:

if this topic would about Na6 you might have a point

and even then, if your logic is carried further: why play the king indian when the nimzo-indian is more popular on gm-level?

IP Logged

cyronix
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/22/09 at 13:53:59
Post Tools
« Last Edit: 03/22/09 at 15:26:20 by »  

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 03/22/09 at 05:35:13
Post Tools
I don't recall seeing anything on it recently.  It seems that the usual view is that it should be slightly better for White.   

The Glek was advocated in a repertoire book by (the late) Gufeld and Kalinichenko about 12 years ago.  Just recently Kalinichenko came out with what I suppose is an updated edition of that book (surely they wouldn't just put out a reprint, would they?).  

IP Logged

Zatara

I Love ChessPublishing!

"Glek Variation"
03/22/09 at 04:30:40
Post Tools
Hi all,
What ever happened to the Glek Variation in the classical?  1.d4 Nf6 2c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4. e4 d6 5.Nf3 0-0 6.Be2 e5 7.0-0 exd4 8.Nxd4 Re8 9.f3 Nc6.  Is there a road to clear advantage??
Thanks,
Zatara

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo