Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Running engines in Winboard (Read 27538 times)
Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Re: Running engines in Winboard
Reply #12 - 07/05/09 at 21:58:23
Post Tools
I did it!!

I've successfully got an engine to run in Winboard -- many thanks! As you can see it was a WB engine -- haven't had time to try an UCI one yet but prob. will tomorrow.

It was also my third attempt! Crafty doesn't work -- I get a message saying "The system could not find the file specified" -- but I'm using the exact name of the .exe file I have. Also when I tried with BugChess the board appears on-screen but never gets beyond the "Program Starting" (or whatever the words are) stage (which I've noticed before in other contexts). But Scorpio 1.9.1 worked fine and immediately! Will keep trying with others. Meanwhile I append my .ini file entries in case they're of interest! (As you can see, my hard drive is actually D:.)

}
/firstChessProgramNames={"Crafty 23.0" /fd="D:\Program Files\Winboard and engines\Crafty 23.0"/fcp='crafty-23.0-win32'
"Bugchess 2163" /fd="D:\Program Files\Winboard and engines\BugChess 2163"/fcp='BugChess2_V1_6_3'
"Scorpio 191" /fd="D:\Program Files\Winboard and engines\Scorpio 191"/fcp='Scorpio'
}
/secondChessProgramNames={"Crafty 23.0" /sd="D:\Program Files\Winboard and engines\Crafty 23.0"/scp='crafty-23.0-win32'
"BugChess 2163" /sd="D:\Program Files\Winboard and engines\BugChess 2163"/scp='BugChess2_V1_6_3'
"Scorpio 191" /sd="D:\Program Files\Winboard and engines\Scorpio 191"/scp='Scorpio'
}

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #11 - 07/01/09 at 19:37:42
Post Tools
I'm immensely grtaeful for this, Instruct1 -- many thanks!

I fear it will be Friday/Sat. now before I get the chance to go through this properly, but I'm looking forward to it!  Smiley

IP Logged

Instruct1
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 07/01/09 at 18:35:56
Post Tools
The below may look complicated, but it really isn't.

When we left off we had set up two Winboard protocol engines to use with the Winboard GUI (as shown by the above graphic). Now we will look at installing a UCI protocol engine.

I am using as the example the free chess engine - Ufim 8.02. Ufim can be used as either a Winboard or UCI protocol enginge, we will be installing it as a UCI engine. The process will be the same 'basically' for all other UCI engines.

I have made a folder for the engine in the Winboard and Engines folder and I have downloaded the engine and extracted the zip file's contents to the Ufim folder.

In the Ufim folder is a file named ufim802.ini. That file is used when running Ufim as a Winboard protocol engine. We will not be using that file in this example.

Now make a folder named - polyglot - in the Winboard and Engines folder and go to this URL - http://www.geenvis.net/ - and download Fonzy Bluemer's version of polyglot (On the page click "Polyglot section" toward the top of the page and it will take you to the download page). The current version listed for download at this time is - Polyglot 1.4w23 (26 may 2009). After downloading the zip file extract it to the polyglot folder that you made. You can delete the folder named "Src" unless you want to keep the source codes. [IMPORTANT: If you decide to delete the Src folder there are some read me files that you will want to save from it before deleting the folder. The read me files will have useful information in them that you will want to look at.] You can also rename the polyglot exe file from polyglot1.4w to the more simple polyglot. You do not have to rename it but it will keep things simple if you do rename it.

While in the polyglot folder make two new folders, one named books and another named polyglot GUI.

While we are at this stage lets go ahead and download some ready made opening books for polyglot to use. We will put them in that books folder that was made in the polyglot folder. Polyglot books have a .bin extension, but only books that were made by polyglot can be used by polyglot.

There are only two places that I know of to download ready made polyglot books, there may be other places but these are all that I know about. As stated in a post above, you could also use polyglot to make your own books.

1). Go to - http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/html/download.htm - and download the varied.bin and performance.bin books that Marc Lacrosse made.

2). Go to Guenther Simon's site - http://www.rwbc-chess.de/ - and in the left side menu click Downloads and on the new page you will see something like default.bin and Rybka.bin, etc.

Extract all of the books that you download into the books folder. All of these opening books should have different names so there shouldn't be any conflict with their names, but should there be any conflict you could aways give a book a different name and then save it to the books folder.

We have the Ufim engine and polyglot installed, now we need to make a polyglot ini file for the Ufim UCI protocol engine. You can use that how to make polyglot ini file post on the Winboard forum that I referenced above and make the file manually but we will be downloading Alex Guerrero's polyglot GUI and make the polyglot ini file with it. Go to Alex's website here - (for some reason the URL does not work correctly in the forum. Doing a search engine search for: alex guerrero winman polyglot_gui - should locate the download page) - and toward the bottom of the page you will see where to download the polyglot GUI. Alex also has a nice Winboard manager on the page that you might want to look at sometime. Download the polyglot GUI rar file and extract it to the polyglot GUI folder that you made.

With the polyglot GUI utility extracted to the polyglot GUI folder, double click the Polyglot_GUI.exe file to open it and navigate to the Ufim chess engine folder and double click the Ufim exe file.

This window should open.

(graphic is big so just providing a direct link to it)

http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss100/tri-star/hints2/09.jpg

I really need to make reference again to the how to make a polyglot ini file post in the Winboard forum as a lot of explanation of the polyglot ini file and its entries can be found in the post. It is beyond the scope of the post to explain everything but it can, I think, get a person pointed in the correct direction.

http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49621

After making the selections in the polyglot GUI click the save button at the bottom and the polyglot GUI utility will close. Now go to the polyglot GUI folder and you should find a polyglot.ini file that the utility has created there. After the polyglot ini file has been made by the polyglot GUI utility, you can always open the ini file with a text editor and make manual changes to it that way. No harm in making manual changes to it.

rename the polyglot ini file to ufim802

and move it to the polyglot folder. The important thing to know is that the polyglot.exe file and the polyglot.ini file (regardless of the name of it) need to be in the same folder.

I used to keep my polyglot folder structured differently than I do today, and I like my old way of doing it but this is a screenshot of my present day folder. I am mostly showing this screenshot to show how I have several UCI engines installed to be used with Winboard and to show the different polyglot ini files in the same folder.

(Direct link to the graphic)

http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss100/tri-star/hints2/13.jpg

This is the polyglot ini file for Ufim that was made by the polyglot GUI in the above example.

http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss100/tri-star/hints2/14.jpg

Now you have the polyglot ini file for Ufim made and set up. Now it is time to make an entry in the winboard.ini file, to tell the Winboard GUI where to find the engine.

And once again I have wordwrap on in notepad!

http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss100/tri-star/hints2/15.jpg

Then opening Winboard and choosing Ufim, ok is clicked.

And going to 'Mode' and selecting 'Machine White'.

Ufim makes the first move. I in turn would move one of the black pieces. (The time controls, etc. would be changed before starting the game - if changing them is desired.)

http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss100/tri-star/hints2/18.jpg

Michael, I did not attempt to explain everything here, but did what I could to get you, or anyone else interested, started - if so inclined.

There are exceptions to some things stated above.

Remember in one of the earlier post made above, in one of the graphics I stated that /scp='crafty_230' or /fcp='crafty_230' did not need the .exe extension on the end of them?

This is a quote from the Winboard GUI help file:

"If the engine name has more than one period in it (for example, QChess1.5.exe), you must include the ".exe" extension; otherwise you can leave it out."

So there are times when the .exe extension would be needed. Maybe in some other cases there might be exceptions to what is stated above, depends on which engine is being dealt with.

Wishing you a good one.

IP Logged

Instruct1
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 07/01/09 at 01:46:23
Post Tools
Michael, I need to make something more clearer here, just so there won't be any confusion.

In the winboard.ini file in some of the above graphics, it may look like some of the engine data entries are on two separate lines - particularly the Crafty engine.

Each engine's individual entry in the winboard.ini file is actually on a single line. I had wordwrap on in notepad when the screenshots were taken.

The way the engine's entries look entered on their own separate lines:

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #8 - 06/30/09 at 19:56:22
Post Tools
Edited:
Moderator's Note: Instruct1, I don't see anything wrong with what you have provided.  In fact, you have performed a great service for some of our members!

I have not checked with Tony Kosten yet (just to make sure), but I love what you've done!

IP Logged

Instruct1
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 06/30/09 at 14:20:07
Post Tools
I know the ChessPublishing.com forum has rules against posting links to other forums, but if allowed I would like to post a few links below. The links are to the Winboard forum. The Winboard forum is a speciality forum in a way that ChessPublishing is. The Winboard forum does not advertise or sell products.

Michael Ayton wrote on 06/30/09 at 13:26:53:
Thanks again. I guess the real reason I want to use Winboard as well as Arena (which really I prefer) is just that I like to learn new skills! (Also using a range of GUIs and not just one just makes for a nice change now and again!)

I have a few Fritz versions and a few other GUIs but I prefer Winboard. Smiley I like H.G. Muller's version because he is updating it but I still prefer to use Winboard_X. But I don't hate the other GUIs either, I really use them all.

Michael Ayton wrote on 06/30/09 at 13:26:53:
What are Polyglot books and where do you get them? -- and what is Polyglot anyway?

When I wrote the post above attempting to give some helpful hints I did it and the graphics from scratch. But in the past me, a novice, wrote some post on the Winboard forum that I thought might be helpful to other people looking for answers or guides.

One of the post was this one called 'How to make a polyglot ini file'. It has been a long time since I have read the post but maybe it will provide some answers. Btw, I use the Polyglot GUI to make ini files, the post below kind of explains the manual way of doing it.

(some of the graphics in the below posts may look cut off depending on the screen resolution being used.)

http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49621

Two other post were these:

A Basic Guide for setting up Winboard with a UCI Chess Engine

http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49603

How to set up Pro Deo in Winboard

http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49677

Michael I must admit that some of those post above, the way I layed things out, look pretty complicated. At least the process does, but it really isn't.

Like I wrote above I'll attempt to write you out a UCI in Winboard helpful hints post, from scratch, using the folder structure that you outlined above (in a day or two I'll get to it since you aren't in a hurry). Plus, today I am setting up Winboard and UCI engines a little bit different than the way I outlined in the above Winboard forum posts. I suppose that is really just it, we are allowed to experiment though some structures/guidelines need to be adhered to within that experimenting.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #6 - 06/30/09 at 13:26:53
Post Tools
Thanks again. I guess the real reason I want to use Winboard [i]as well as[/i] Arena (which really I prefer) is just that I like to learn new skills! (Also using a range of GUIs and not just one just makes for a nice change now and again!)

Yes, In Arena I have (just recently) learnt to use Arena books (suffixed .abk) with different UCI and WB engines (but of course you can also use the engine's own book, as you say). None of them seems half as big as the book that came with my ancient Fritz 6, though! I don't think I'll ever get to writing my own books -- that's a bridge too far for me!

What are Polyglot books and where do you get them? -- and what is Polyglot anyway? I had thought it was a program to allow UCI engines to work in Winboard, but in WB 4315m it appears to be an [i]engine[/i]!? At least if I choose it (polyglot.exe cpw.ini, both colours) at start-up I can play chess against it, and it appears to have a decent opening book! (Or perhaps it's cpw, whatever that is, that's the engine??)

IP Logged

Instruct1
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 06/30/09 at 13:10:44
Post Tools
[quote author=nmga link=1246272882/0#0 date=1246272876]
Second question -- once I can get engines to work, how do I associate opening books with them? Do I simply copy the book to the same sub-directory as the engine, or do I need to do something more? (And will opening books of all types work, or just those with a .BIN suffix?)[/quote]

I'm not an opening book expert or really even a novice. I generally use the opening book that comes with the engine, if the engine has one.

I'm not sure, if say, you were using the Crafty engine that you could use a different book with it in Winboard, other than the one that comes with Crafty. I know that Crafty has its own book making capability but I've never made a book for it. Whether or not a different book for Crafty could be used in Winboard other than a Crafty generated one someone else will have to provide an answer.

For UCI engines in Winboard I think you are pretty much tied to using polyglot books or the engines own book (for example Hiarcs, in Winboard it can use a polyglot book or its own book). Polyglot has a book making capability and I've made polyglot books before but at that I am a complete novice, others are around that are considered experts.

If all you are looking for is different book using capability you might want to stay with Arena. As you may know, when using Winboard protocol engines in Arena you can have the engine use its own book, you don't have to use Arena's book with it. I do not currently have Arena installed, but I believe this is true.

As to .bin books, all .bin extension books are not equal. If two chess engines use book files that have the .bin extension, that does not mean that the books are interchangeable between the two engines.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #4 - 06/30/09 at 13:07:17
Post Tools
This is masterful stuff, Instruct1 -- thank you very much! All the graphics are clear.

'Cos of work pressures it'll probably be late tomorrow before I can get with this properly, but I shall take your advice and then report back! I like understanding how things work a bit if I can, so I'll enjoy learning how to do these things manually as you suggest before using the manager.

IP Logged

Instruct1
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 06/30/09 at 12:13:33
Post Tools
Edit: I am using an 800x600 screen resolution and on posting the below I notice that some of the graphics got cut off. If any of the graphics look cut off to you, you could copy the graphic to your harddrive to see all of it.

Michael if you will allow, I will try to show you how to set up Winboard with engines without using 'Tom's Simple Engine Manager'. Then later if you want to use the manager you can, but you will be a little bit more experienced (seasoned) for the process.

Setting up chess engines in Winboard is not that complicated or hard and once you get used to it you will think it somewhat routine. Most engines follow the same guidelines for setting them up but it really depends on how the engine's programmer developed the engine as to whether a few extra steps are needed to get the engine running. Just have to take it on an engine by engine basis and check the programmer's 'read me' files/documentation, if there is/are any.

What I would like for you to do is uninstall 'Tom's Simple Engine Manager' and delete everything in your Winboard and Engines folder except for your 'Crafty 23.0' folder.

Then download the Winboard 4.3.15m executable file from this link and extract it to your Winboard and Engines folder (this is the download link as provided by the Winboard 4.3.15m developer - H.G. Muller).

http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/WinBoard/WB.4.3.15.zip

After extracting the exe file, double click the Winboard exe file to open it and select the option 'Just View or edit games' and click ok. Then close all of the Windows that opened. What is happening here is a winboard.ini file is being created in the folder that the winboard exe is in.

Then open the winboard.ini file by double clicking it. It should open in a text editor like notepad.

The section in the ini file to locate is shown below in the graphic. We will return to the ini file in a second.

I don't know if you are using Jim Ablett's or Peter Skinner's compile of Crafty but I am using the J. Ablett compile because it is the only one that will run on my old OS. It doesn't matter which you are using since the process will be the same for both.

In the Crafty 23.0 folder I have extracted Crafty 23.0 and I also downloaded the Crafty opening book (I am using the book from Peter Skinner's site) and I extracted the book into the Crafty 23.0 folder. Use the opening book that is for Crafty; the book was designed to be used with the engine.

Now returning to the winboard.ini file, I remove the - GNUChess
"GNUChes5 xboard" - entries.

and for entering the data for Crafty 23.0 I enter what is shown below.
Notice the /fd= and /fcp= entries, and the /sd= and /scp= entries.

These entries need to be in the correct sections. The /fd= and /fcp= entries go in the firstChessProgramNames section. And the other entries go in the secondChessProgramNames section.

(The grahic may too big so I am just posting a link to it.)

http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss100/tri-star/hints/06.jpg

For the Crafty chess engine there is a special consideration and that is the crafty.rc file (The file is in the Crafty 23.0 folder, if you downloaded Crafty from the Peter Skinner site you need to download the rc file from his site and put the file in the Crafty folder where the engine is. In this file is where you would input the path of the Nalimov endgame tablebases (if using any), the hash size, etc.

In this example I did not change any data in the crafty.rc file. I'm kind of tired and just trying to provide you an example. Smiley

Now I have only entered one Winboard engine into the winboard.ini file but I will provide another quick example. This time I will enter the Winboard protocol engine - Marquis.

I put the Marquis engine in a folder named Marquis in the 'Winboard and engines' folder. A Note: Marquis comes with its own opening book and that book file is shown in one of the graphics below.

And below is shown what and where I enter the data in the winboard.ini file for the Marquis chess engine.

And I open the Winboard exe and choose Crafty from the selection and click ok.

If I want to play a game against the engine as white pieces I would make the first move and the engine should then make a move.

If I want to play the black pieces I would go to 'Mode' in the Winboard menu and select 'Machine White' and the chess engine should make a move with the white pieces.

If wanting to play an engine versus engine match then choose the engine to play the white pieces from the first selection box (selection box - the box that first appears when Winboard is started) and choose the opponent for the engine from the second selection box and click ok. When the board appears and after the engines have initialized, go to 'Mode' in the menu and select 'Two Machines', and the engine versus engine game should begin.

Now if in setting up chess engines in Winboard if at any time you receive any error message, then you will need to take a look at how you entered things in the winboard.ini file to see if you made any errors there. If you did not make any entry errors, then it will be something else that is wrong.

Others may set up their entries in the winboard.ini file differently than what I am showing above, take a look at how they set things up because you may like their way better.

Later, today or tomorrow, I will try to give some hints on setting up UCI engines in Winboard. If it will be of any help to you.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #2 - 06/29/09 at 14:26:00
Post Tools
Hi Smyslov_Fan,

Winboard is indeed freeware, yes -- but I was wanting to know how to set up within the Winboard GUI engines other than those that come preloaded with it. Thomas McBurney's manager (also a free download) is said to represent the easiest way of doing this, but annoyingly it comes without instructions/a help file ... Angry

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #1 - 06/29/09 at 13:36:26
Post Tools
I looked at your link and was not familiar with it.  Can't you just download Winboard and winchess anyway?  I thought they were shareware/freeware.

PS:  Regarding your other questions, I don't know if it's possible to create your own database using only freely available software, but good luck!

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Running engines in Winboard
06/29/09 at 10:54:36
Post Tools
Does anyone know how properly to install Winboard and UCI engines in Winboard 4.3.1.5m using this utility?

http://home.pacific.net.au/~tommyinoz/tomsengman.html

(I already use Arena, but wanted to use Winboard too, partly for variety but partly also because I want to explore opening books other than the .abk ones permitted in Arena.)

I have Winboard installed in a directory called D:/Program files/Winboard and engines. In this directory I have (to give one example) made a sub-directory called Crafty 23.0 and extracted Crafty into it from the zip file. I tentatively assume that the reason Crafty, unlike the preloaded Fairy-Max, won't now start from the manager is that I need to write something in the manager in the 'Command line options' box. But what? I can't seem to find this out by looking in Crafty's 'Read me' file, and the same is true for all other engines! (I notice that Gnuchess 4 and 5, preloaded in Winboard 4.3.1.5m like Fairy-Max, also have nothing written in this box and also won't work, so how do I discover what I should write for them, if this is the problem?)

Second question -- once I can get engines to work, how do I associate opening books with them? Do I simply copy the book to the same sub-directory as the engine, or do I need to do something more? (And will opening books of all types work, or just those with a .BIN suffix?)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo