Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Be2 Sicillian (Read 13742 times)
TicklyTim

can I take that back,
please...

Re: Be2 Sicillian
Reply #8 - 09/09/09 at 12:41:27
Post Tools
trw wrote on 09/09/09 at 02:41:35:
Your post makes no sense. If white has no advantage after such a flexible move then white never has an advantage. The whole point of Be2 is how flexible it is for white.

As the white squared bishop is the one piece that has options on where it can move, I would say that committing to Be2 wasn't flexible. But as White, can take such luxuries.
What can be gained by playing 3.Be2 instead of 3.c3?

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 09/09/09 at 11:04:05
Post Tools
Your post makes no sense. If white has no advantage after such a flexible move then white never has an advantage. The whole point of Be2 is how flexible it is for white.

huh?

Be2 doesn't seem especially flexible. It is not a bad move but hardly shocking. Except for a few tricks to punish Nxe4 there isn't really anything tricky about it. It even seems sensible not play Nc6 as black to avoid variations like 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. Be2 Nf6 4. c3 Nc6 5. d4 Nxe4 6. d5, which basicly force d4 in one go by tactical means, which looks like what white is angling for. Bd7, Nbd7 or g6 all seem fine to me.  

IP Logged

Bibs
YaBB Moderator

Reply #6 - 09/09/09 at 09:30:21
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 09/08/09 at 16:49:19:
Indeed 4...Bd7 is one of several "book" moves there.  I've had the impression that if anything has been considered the main line in recent years, it's 4...g6.

Of course by playing c3 on move 3, White would have the additional possibilities of 4. Bd3 and 4. h3.

Curious but where are you getting that "Bd7" is book here? Its been played before yes but rarely. I notice adams played against twice achieving draws in both games (against Gelfand and Kasparov).

4... g6 leaves white a very pleasant game according to Basman and Soltis. But neither source mentions 4... Bd7
TonyRo wrote on 09/08/09 at 17:37:34:
I am not saying that this is the case, but judging by the way you worded your original post, it seems as though you think White should gain an edge in this line. Just out of curiousity, what makes you think that White should have something tangible after 3. Be2, which just looks to be an inflexible, premature development of a piece that probably shouldn't be moved yet? White is White sure, but White has to play actively and logically to stay White!  Grin

Point 1:
a)White has a pleasant game, so does black. Dearie me. It is move 4 and people are trying to solve chess again.
Be2 is a valid sytem, certainly. So is the sicilian. Both sides can fight.
b) Neither Basman nor Soltis very up-to-date. Best not follow religiously.

Point 2:
a) Perhaps as a moderator you may like to be more polite.
b) 'Flexible' does not necessarily equate to advantageous. Unless you are competing in the World OwnFootLicking contest.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #5 - 09/09/09 at 04:50:39
Post Tools
Well, 4...Bd7 gets a column in ECO, still something of a standard general reference.  (The one-volume Small ECO relegates it to a note.) 

As for 4...g6 leaving White "a very pleasant game," it's my impression that it (like some of Black's other moves) is generally considered as leading to equality with best play.

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 09/09/09 at 02:41:35
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 09/08/09 at 16:49:19:
Indeed 4...Bd7 is one of several "book" moves there.  I've had the impression that if anything has been considered the main line in recent years, it's 4...g6.

Of course by playing c3 on move 3, White would have the additional possibilities of 4. Bd3 and 4. h3.

Curious but where are you getting that "Bd7" is book here? Its been played before yes but rarely. I notice adams played against twice achieving draws in both games (against Gelfand and Kasparov).

4... g6 leaves white a very pleasant game according to Basman and Soltis. But neither source mentions 4... Bd7

TonyRo wrote on 09/08/09 at 17:37:34:
I am not saying that this is the case, but judging by the way you worded your original post, it seems as though you think White should gain an edge in this line. Just out of curiousity, what makes you think that White should have something tangible after 3. Be2, which just looks to be an inflexible, premature development of a piece that probably shouldn't be moved yet? White is White sure, but White has to play actively and logically to stay White!  Grin

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #3 - 09/08/09 at 22:28:19
Post Tools
Alternatively, you can also play 3.Bd3!? which is just equal of course, but isn't a bad way to force your opponent on his own resources at an early stage.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #2 - 09/08/09 at 17:37:34
Post Tools
I am not saying that this is the case, but judging by the way you worded your original post, it seems as though you think White should gain an edge in this line. Just out of curiousity, what makes you think that White should have something tangible after 3. Be2, which just looks to be an inflexible, premature development of a piece that probably shouldn't be moved yet? White is White sure, but White has to play actively and logically to stay White!  Grin

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 09/08/09 at 16:49:19
Post Tools

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Be2 Sicillian
09/08/09 at 16:31:08
Post Tools
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. Be2 Nf6 4. c3

the point is obvious that 4... Nxe4?? losses to Qa4+ so black is supposed to continue 4... Nc6 to close the diagonal and is now threatening Nxe4

but I had someone play 4.... Bd7 against me and there doesn't seem to be a clear way for white to get an edge or attack after that... I tried 5. e5 and considered 5. Qb3  and the standard reply is supposed to be 5. d3 which is so slow and defeats the whole point of this opening to play d4 in one shot....
Qc2 has been played before but then Qc7 still prevents d4 so white has to castle anyways.

suggestions?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo