Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Everyman announces book on the Leningrad (Read 91035 times)
Göran

ChessPublishing is great!

Re: Everyman announces book on the Leningrad
Reply #54 - 12/01/10 at 20:17:26
Post Tools
You are right and thanks for mentioning it.

But I still think that the spirit of my post is valid both concerning publisher and reviewer. A book could be excellent for lower rated player but not for higher rated, and the opposite.
As I understand Carsten Hansen's review the book is rather good for lower rated player trying to learn the Leningrad.

What kind of proof is that?

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait
God Member

Reply #53 - 12/01/10 at 19:57:25
Post Tools
Göran wrote on 12/01/10 at 13:53:48:
My interpretation of Carsten Hansen's review is that the book is not bad but the publishers’ promise is. Promising the book is both for GMs and for Club players.

I think what was meant was "a grandmaster's repertoire for club players", rather than "a grandmaster's repertoire for grandmasters" – though the idea of a grandmaster writing a repertoire book for other grandmasters is quite a nice one Smiley

blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/
IP Logged

Göran

ChessPublishing is great!

Reply #52 - 12/01/10 at 13:53:48
Post Tools
My interpretation of Carsten Hansen's review is that the book is not bad but the publishers’ promise is. Promising the book is both for GMs and for Club players.
My understanding after reading the review is that the book is not good for 2100+ but very useful below2000.
Must be impossible to write a book that is excellent to all in the range of say 1600 – GM level.

Must add that I don't have the book but base my opinion only on Carsten Hansen's review.

What kind of proof is that?

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #51 - 12/01/10 at 12:22:53
Post Tools
Bowen wrote on 12/01/10 at 05:29:04:
On Chesscafe Carsten Hansen reviews this book and gives it a very low recommendation. He suggests that the promised theoretical coverage is relatively poor and the book would be best suited for players up to 2000 as an introduction to the opening. He gives it 2 stars out of a possible 5. Anyone with a copy of the book care to comment?

Agreed. Poor effort. Very disappointing indeed. Have plenty more than that in my own files.
Surprised Neil put out such a bad book, normally reasonable enough.
Horrible quality paper too as it happens. Yuck.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #50 - 12/01/10 at 08:09:01
Post Tools
Bowen wrote on 12/01/10 at 05:29:04:
On Chesscafe Carsten Hansen reviews this book and gives it a very low recommendation. He suggests that the promised theoretical coverage is relatively poor and the book would be best suited for players up to 2000 as an introduction to the opening. He gives it 2 stars out of a possible 5. Anyone with a copy of the book care to comment?

Since January 2010, the maximum rating Carsten provides for a book is 4 stars out of 4.

If you want a good laugh, you should read the review of 'In Your Face Chess Novelties'.  Grin

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Bowen

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #49 - 12/01/10 at 05:29:04
Post Tools

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #48 - 11/01/10 at 12:33:54
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 11/01/10 at 11:29:01:
TalJechin wrote on 10/31/10 at 22:23:54:
Maybe some of the suggestions are good, I dunno yet, but even so you should probably expect them to be "starting points of your own investigations" rather than, "play thru, memorise and play"

Sounds like his swashbuckling KG-book. That's very disappointing as his treatment of the French Tarrasch 3...Nf6 on this site is truely excellent. Or is there no market anymore for a good old-fashioned deep-sea diving opening book?

I liked his book on the French, "How to play against 1.e4" - and maybe everyman should have castled the authors between "How to play against 1.d4" and "Play the Dutch", not that I don't like Palliser's work on the first, I think he one of the most consistently good chess authors, along with John Cox and some others.  But covering the Czech Benoni, would have suited McD better, as his strength is summarising plans and manoeuvres in closed positions. The Dutch may look closed too, but it's much more critical once it opens up a little and then the bird's eye view is not enough.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #47 - 11/01/10 at 12:20:37
Post Tools
Isolani wrote on 11/01/10 at 11:42:36:
Quote:
How is the coverage of 7...c6 and 7...Nc6?

I had no time to read it much, but it seems he forgot some transpositions between the Qe8 and c6 systems (with an exchange on c6. So the "alternative main line" given by Kindermann ( 8...Na6 without a5) isn't covered, if I'm not missing something.
Something is missing for Nc6 players: how to play against an early d5, say on move 7, avoiding that system. What would you recommend TalJechin?

I think he mentioned somewhere that 7.d5 c6 would transpose to the c6-system.

Personally, I've preferred 7...c5 and 8...Na6 against that, if I remember correctly the plan is then to play Qe8, h6, g5 and Qh5 etc - but it's years since the last time I had this on the board.

IP Logged

Isolani
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #46 - 11/01/10 at 11:42:36
Post Tools
Quote:
How is the coverage of 7...c6 and 7...Nc6?

I had no time to read it much, but it seems he forgot some transpositions between the Qe8 and c6 systems (with an exchange on c6. So the "alternative main line" given by Kindermann ( 8...Na6 without a5) isn't covered, if I'm not missing something.
Something is missing for Nc6 players: how to play against an early d5, say on move 7, avoiding that system. What would you recommend TalJechin?

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #45 - 11/01/10 at 11:29:01
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 10/31/10 at 22:23:54:
Maybe some of the suggestions are good, I dunno yet, but even so you should probably expect them to be "starting points of your own investigations" rather than, "play thru, memorise and play"

Sounds like his swashbuckling KG-book. That's very disappointing as his treatment of the French Tarrasch 3...Nf6 on this site is truely excellent. Or is there no market anymore for a good old-fashioned deep-sea diving opening book?

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #44 - 11/01/10 at 01:56:25
Post Tools
I ordered the book, and it should arrive to me on Wednesday. How is the coverage of 7...c6 and 7...Nc6?

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #43 - 10/31/10 at 22:23:54
Post Tools
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 10/31/10 at 21:24:41:
How would those of you who have the book compare it with Kindermann's Leningrad System?

Well, there are many ways to compare them, but since I haven't really looked much at it after the initial disappointment... Anyway, I'd say that one page of K-man equals 3-4 of McD in information density.

Or that K-man gives a repertoire and McD some suggestions. Maybe some of the suggestions are good, I dunno yet, but even so you should probably expect them to be "starting points of your own investigations" rather than, "play thru, memorise and play"

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #42 - 10/31/10 at 21:24:41
Post Tools
How would those of you who have the book compare it with Kindermann's Leningrad System?

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #41 - 10/30/10 at 16:45:49
Post Tools
A funny thing is that every time McD writes on the Leningrad he has a new reply to 9.Qa4 and the next time he always forgets to mention what happened to the brief line he gave last time...

I guess we can assume that the "free update" will recommend Bartel's Kh8, even though it doesn't offer black much winning chances.

IP Logged

winawer77

Reply #40 - 10/30/10 at 12:16:00
Post Tools
I was looking forward to this book a lot. The first book coverage of my beloved 7...Nc6 8.d5 Na5 variation. I have to say, I also am very disappointed with this effort. I've been working on this line with a club mate of mine over the past year and the analysis we have accumulated is far more comprehensive than anything mentioned in this book.

In the main 7...Nc6 variation the choice of 9.Qa4 c5 10.dxc6 Nxc6 11.Rd1 Nd4?! is a strange choice considering that the reliable 11...Kh8 is much sounder, and is the modern way of playing this position.

Coverage of the Lisitsyn Gambit is also very sparse. In 176 pages in this book, this gambit gets a full 1 page coverage. He covers the same ground as Khalifman, albeit in one very lightly annotated game segment. After 1.Nf3 f5 2.e4 fxe4 3.Ng5 e5 4.d3 e3 5.Bxe3 Nc6....McDonald only mentions 6.g3  Huh The two main moves in this position are 6.Be2 and 6.c4 and are not even mentioned. Admittedly, even Kindermann's coverage of this gambit was light, but he at least mentioned all possible moves, rather than just quoting the 3rd most popular choice 6.g3 as the only reply, and stopping there.

He concludes this coverage by quoting the game Husser-Bronzik, Bad Worishofen, 2008. There is no meaningful analysis of any variations past move 4 (and even up to that point its basic stuff). After Black's 9th move we have the last annotation given to this game 'Annoyingly for White, he can't centralize his knight as after 10.Nc3 d4 or 10.Nd2 d4 he loses a piece.' Yeah, thanks for that... Huh

Sadly, this is a theme throughout the book - annotations that do not really add any value used extensively in place of actual coverage of variations. Even if its supposed to be taken as a beginner book, it still comes up short. Poor. Sad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo