Latest Updates:
Normal Topic The king indian is risky... for whom? (Read 3501 times)
H-HH

Re: The king indian is risky... for whom?
Reply #6 - 07/10/10 at 16:08:42
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 07/09/10 at 20:29:05:
It surely doesn't.

You didn't get my point, of course it transposses, but it doesn't cease to be a possiblity for black to play solidly in hte semi-slav. So black is not obliged to play sharply also.

French defence forever, Fide 2035.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #5 - 07/09/10 at 20:29:05
Post Tools
It surely doesn't.

IP Logged

H-HH

Reply #4 - 07/09/10 at 20:08:32
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 07/09/10 at 14:29:43:
Whoever says that the Semi-Slav is more solid than the KID has never had 5. Bg5 played against them.

well that depends if 5... Nbd7( aiming for a cambridge springs) still counts as a semi-slav or not.

French defence forever, Fide 2035.

IP Logged

FrankieJay
YaBB Newbies

USCF 2357

Reply #3 - 07/09/10 at 18:43:06
Post Tools
I played the a6 Slav for many years and just couldn't learn the Semi-Slav.  It just bothered me to try to learn all that theory, but when I discovered the KID about a year ago I fell in love.  It has everything to do with taste.  My game is better tailored to lines in the Mar del Plata or Classical, and sometimes I struggle against the Saemisch or early Bg5 systems.

At any level short of super-GM all openings are pretty much playable, methinks.  KID is dangerous for both colors in my opinion, but that--my friends--is chess.  Some of us like to live on the edge of our seats.  Some like to grind.

I do think the biggest difference between the KID and Semi-Slav is that the KID involves accepting what is often a positional liability for a safer king and clearer attacking plan, whereas many of the Semi-Slav positions involve either giving up some initiative for a solid structure (Meran, Anti-Moscow) or giving up king safety for an open/attacking game (Botvinnik).

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 07/09/10 at 14:46:00
Post Tools
Actually its relatively easy for black to stodge vs the classical as long as they're happy being a little worse. (6.. c5, the Na6 stuff, Nbd7 stuff etc).

Harder in some other lines of course, but nothing notably more terrifying than the anti moscow.

Different feel though. In the MDP black is giving up tons of space and some people simply don't like doing that. I certainly really don't like the look of blacks games in those positions. (although its clearly playable Smiley)

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #1 - 07/09/10 at 14:29:43
Post Tools
Whoever says that the Semi-Slav is more solid than the KID has never had 5. Bg5 played against them. Even the Meran lines are tough. The KID is positionally risky, and Black also risks a lot if White is well prepared. For some reason people only think the KID is the Mar Del Plata, which is not true. Would you like to play against the 4-Pawns or the Samisch when you're unprepared?

I think with regards to difficulty, they are both quite theory heavy, and both also the more acceptable albeit risky choices for Black. Very similar in risk and reward, as well as required knowledge, but very different positions. It's all about what you think is best for you.

IP Logged

Pingudon

Hi chess friends!!

The king indian is risky... for whom?
07/09/10 at 14:14:41
Post Tools
I have read in the forum that some King Indian players went to play semi slav because it would be more solid... less risky. But I wonder risky for whom? White has to kwow what he is doing or he would be the one in troubles. Do you think KI is riskier than semi slav or more difficult to play for black?  Huh

GTalk  
IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo