Latest Updates:
Poll
Poll Question: What is your favorite non-Lopez 1 e4 e5 Black Rep. book?
bars   pie

Beating the Open Games    
  14 (40.0%)
Play 1 e4 e5!    
  1 (2.9%)
The Chess Advantage in Black and White    
  7 (20.0%)
Play the Open Games as Black    
  13 (37.1%)

Total votes: 35
« Last Modified by: Anonymous3 on: 08/24/10 at 02:55:02 »
Normal Topic Favorite Non-Lopez 1 e4 e5 Black Rep. Book? (Read 5342 times)
chandrashekharkoravi

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Favorite Non-Lopez 1 e4 e5 Black Rep. Book?
Reply #3 - 08/13/13 at 08:25:49
Post Tools
Actually I liked all the books..Is there any way to get this books in cbh or pgn format with all explanations ???

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #2 - 08/24/10 at 10:44:42
Post Tools
Why isn't there an 'Other' option?  Huh

I think the Shoulder Chip Attack is an effective answer to 1...e5. Why isn't it covered in any of the four books above?

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Volcanor

Reply #1 - 08/24/10 at 09:09:45
Post Tools
I use the 4 books regularly and like them all. Since they are repertoire books and there are so many possibilities for Black in the Open Games, I don't rely on a complete repertoire given by any book. And I pick up what I like in the 4 books.

The book repertoire I'm following most is the Emms one (Play the Open Game as Black). Either because his recommandations are the one most to my taste, or because I started building my repertoire with this one. Which book to rely on is also a question of the player's strength. In this regard, I think that for most players up to 2000 Elo, the Davies book (1.e4 e5!) does the best job: just enough information and variations to play the black side with confidence. The higher your rating, the more I belive the Marin book (Beating the Open Games) becomes the best one.

Reading your comment, I think that I'll start playing the Ponziani as White  Wink

IP Logged

Anonymous3

I Love ChessPublishing!

Favorite Non-Lopez 1 e4 e5 Black Rep. Book?
08/24/10 at 02:50:57
Post Tools
Vote for your favorite non-lopez 1 e4 e5 Black repertoire book. For this poll, disregard "Beating the Open Games" coverage of the Ruy Lopez Exchange variation and "Play 1 e4 e5!" and "The Chess Advantage in Black and White's coverage of the Ruy Lopez.

Let me explain what I think are the pros and cons of each book:

Option 1) "Beating the Open Games"
Pros: None.
Cons: 1) White may be able to gain a slight advantage against the recommendation against the Ponziani and can against the recommendation against the Max Lange Attack. 2) Some missing lines but most of these lines were covered in the update and 2nd edition of the book. 3) Didn't use relevant sources such as the 3 books below or any other relevant 1 e4 e5 books. 4) With the exception of the Scotch Game, recommends the most boring lines. 5) Books format.

Option 2) "Play 1 e4 e5!"
Pros: None.
Cons: 1) White can gain a slight advantage against the recommendations against the Spanish Four Knights and Center Game 2) Missing coverage of 6 Qf3 in the Scotch Game and 10 Qd2 in the King's Gambit. 3) Least detailed. 4) Bibliography is limited.

Option 3) "The Chess Advantage in Black and White"
Pros: 1) Recommended lines
Cons: 1) White can gain a slight advnatage against the recommendations against the Evan's Gambit and Ponziani.

Option 4) "Play the Open Games as Black"
Pros: 1) Gives multiple options for Black in most lines. 2) Most detailed.
Cons: 1) White can gain a slight advantage against the recommendationagainst the 3...d5 Ponziani and maybe 3...Nf6 4 d4 Nxe4 as well, Spanish Four Knights with 4...Bc5, and Max Lange Attack 2) Supposedly not computer checked, 3) Most dated.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo