Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Delayed Wing Gambit (Read 19257 times)
Markovich
God Member

Re: Delayed Wing Gambit
Reply #4 - 12/11/10 at 15:36:16
Post Tools
I don't know; I recall that one of Keres' collected games was with 2.Nf3 d6 3.b4, and that he had good things to say about it.  Ultimately I don't think that either move is quite sound, but each subjects Black to problems that he may not be familiar with. 

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #3 - 12/11/10 at 11:58:34
Post Tools
I believe 2.b4 is better than 2.Nf3 d6 3.b4 because the knight on f3 greatly reduces White's attacking options, since now Qg4/h5 is not possible and White cannot play Ra3-g3(h3) to lift his rook to the kingside.

But why are you choosing the Wing Gambit over say the Open Sicilian or even the Alapin?

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #2 - 12/11/10 at 11:57:21
Post Tools
I believe 2.b4 is better than 2.Nf3 d6 3.b4 because the knight on f3 greatly reduces White's attacking options, since now Qg4/h5 is not possible and White cannot play Ra3-g3(h3) to lift his rook to the kingside.

But why are you choosing the Wing Gambit over say the Open Sicilian or even the Alapin?

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

TheHug
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 12/11/10 at 08:08:18
Post Tools
Oh ok so I know with the normal lines black has more options. after he takes the pawn.

1.e4 c5 2.b4 cxb4 3.Nf3 so there is like 3 or 4 playable options

3.Nc6, d5, e6 I don't know them all without looking at my opening book so this is just examples so. With playing 2.d6 first for black. Would that not restrict his options?

IP Logged

TheHug
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Delayed Wing Gambit
12/11/10 at 08:04:58
Post Tools
Oh ok I've asked about the Wing Gambit in the past. Now I have a more general question. Is there any advantages of playing the delayed wing gambit over the normal?

So...
1.e4 c5 2.b4!?
or
1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.b4!?

Objectively speaking these kind of gambits are nothing more than surprise weapons. But some high level CC friends of my were play the normal lines and trying to find the best way to go for black and came up with ...3.cxb4 Nf3 4.Nc6 and this looks good to me. Of course if asked I can show one game that was played between the highest 2 players it was a good match that ended in a draw. I'll be graceful for any help as I'm thinking about trying this in a tournament game soon!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo