Latest Updates:
Normal Topic C44-C45: New Everyman Book on the Scotch Game (Read 8111 times)
George Jempty

Participant 1996 US Corres.
Champ. Qualifying Rd.

Re: New Everyman Book on the Scotch Game
Reply #8 - 02/28/11 at 23:15:18
Post Tools
clickclick wrote on 02/23/11 at 10:28:30:
Exciting new for Scotch enthusiasts - Everyman has announced a monster tome on the Scotch, covering the opening from (it seems) both side's perspective. The authors are Palliser and Dembo, in my opinion the two most diligent authors working for Everyman.

The extract is already up, but it would be more helpful if Everyman extracted a chapter from one of the main lines.
Cheesy

Anybody know how much material it has on 4...Qf6, I've seen two or three books in the last decade or so that have zilch.

IP Logged

Volcanor

Reply #7 - 02/25/11 at 09:52:27
Post Tools
I compared the chapter about 4... Bc5 5.Nf5 and 5.Nb3 (extract availabe on website) with the most recent book I own on this subject, Play 1.e4 e5! by Davies from Everyman Chess too. The latter is a repertoire book for Black from 2005, with one full game (game 52) of 3 pages covering both these variations (15 pages for YD&RP). You cloud expect the comparison to be unfair for Davies, but it's quite the opposite! Two exemples:

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 exd4 4.Nxd4 Bc5 5.Nf5
Here Davies recommands 5...d6!?, which is unmentionned by YD&RP. It's not played often, so no big deal. But he justifies his choice by mentionning the main line 5...d5 6.Nxg7 Kf8 7.Nh5 Qh4 8.Ng3 Nf6, with the move 9.Bb5!? bothering him. Whether or not it's annoying for Black (I rather think Black can claim equalitiy or more in this position), I'm disapointed that this move is unmentionned by YD&RP. They discuss 9.Be2, 9.exd5 and even 9.b4 (what's the point?), but not a word about 9.Bb5!? which certainly deserves more consideration than the 2 latter moves.
It's true that 5.Nf5 isn't play at high level, so relatievely poor coverage of this line may be acceptable. But keep in mind that 5.Nf5 is seen occasionaly at amateur level!

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 exd4 4.Nxd4 Bc5 5.Nb3 Bb6 6. Qe2!? is on the other hand more topical at high level, with Ivanchuk and Carlsen playing it during the last decade. YD&RP end their discussion by claiming that White may currently be slightly better in this variation. If we consider Davies' recommandation, he goes for 6...a5, forcing White to play 7.a4. Hence, White's main idea (going for opposite-side castling) is not so effective or more dangerous for him/her. Davies and YD&RP mention the same game (Novikov-Aleksandrov from 2005) and agree that Black has a good game. If they are consistent, YD&RP should have an improvement for White. Indeed, they just mention a move along the varaition, after 7.a4 Nge7 8.Nc3 Nb4, 9.Nb5!? (instead of 9.Bg5) may be critical. They stop here... The next moves could well be 9...0-0 10.c3 Nbc6 11.Be3 Bxe3 12.Qxe3 with differet options for Black: I particularly like 12...f5!? and I doubt that White can claim an advantage, but I would be interested to have the expert opinion of YD&RP about it. Do they think White is better?

I'm slightly disapointed by this comparison. Or impressed by Davies' work! Of course, this chapter is probably not the most important one in the Scotch, and I'm waiting to see the whole book, that I hope to be better than this chapter.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #6 - 02/24/11 at 16:53:10
Post Tools
Given the about 200 pages Lev Gutman spend on 4...Qh4 it's not hard to imagine 400 pagen on the entire Scotch Game.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #5 - 02/24/11 at 14:48:28
Post Tools
I agree, if it's 400 pages, "monster" apt.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

clickclick

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 02/23/11 at 21:13:48
Post Tools
Well, compared to the recent Barsky book on the Scotch, I thought a 400 pages book on the Scotch would be pretty 'monster', and especially more so considering Palliser is one of the authors (as one of the previous posts already stated)

IP Logged

Arcticmonkey

Russell Peters ftw

Reply #3 - 02/23/11 at 14:15:50
Post Tools
well, i would suspect they do consider Gustafsson's lines in their book, i would guess that would've found either and improvement or other lines that he didn't consider, since they have the benefit of hindsight and also a good 3/4 months of games played.
I think this book will be a monster book, precisely because Palliser in particular is very very very very very very thorough very. Dembo is also quite thorough, in fact i thought originally that Dembo was supposed to be writing this book entirely by herself but since it proved too exhaustive (it is a very big opening to cover) she enlisted pallisers' help.
And yes, Dembo and Palliser are probs they would be the most diligent which means precisely that this book will be packed with theory. Lucky i don't play the scotch as white.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #2 - 02/23/11 at 12:40:14
Post Tools
clickclick wrote on 02/23/11 at 10:28:30:
Exciting new for Scotch enthusiasts - Everyman has announced a monster tome on the Scotch, covering the opening from (it seems) both side's perspective. The authors are Palliser and Dembo, in my opinion the two most diligent authors working for Everyman.

The extract is already up, but it would be more helpful if Everyman extracted a chapter from one of the main lines.
Cheesy

I agree with your appraisal of Palliser and Dembo.  But I doubt if this'll be a "monster tome" in the sense of being an exhaustive treatment of the theory.  That sort of thing has been pretty much dead in the chess literature, or dying if you count ECO (which I think is too summary to count as exhaustive).  If it is, that'll be fun, though.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #1 - 02/23/11 at 11:19:54
Post Tools
I am curious if they have considered Gustafsson's lines from both his DVD and his blog (where he updated his DVD lines with the recent Tata Steel tournament).

IP Logged

clickclick

I Love ChessPublishing!

C44-C45: New Everyman Book on the Scotch Game
02/23/11 at 10:28:30
Post Tools

Cheesy
« Last Edit: 07/19/11 at 13:49:42 by Smyslov_Fan »  

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo