Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Best resources for learning 1.e4 as white ? (Read 6670 times)
TN
God Member

Re: Best resources for learning 1.e4 as white ?
Reply #16 - 05/24/11 at 16:26:33
Post Tools
Starting Out: 1.e4 by Neil McDonald is quite good, but unfortunately there isn't enough depth for a 2300 player.

If you want to play 3.Nd2 against the French, buy Tzermiadianos's 'How to Beat the French Defence'.

If you want an Anti-Sicilian repertoire as White then Gawain's new book could be worth a look. Even so, I agree with the others that a theory-intensive Open Sicilian repertoire is your best bet.

Against 1...e5, you can either choose from the dozens of good books on the Ruy, or make a compromise and buy 'Beating 1.e4 e5' or 'The Scotch Game' (both by Everyman).

If you want a low-theory but still dangerous answer to the Caro-Kann, 1.e4 c6 2.Nc3 d5 3.Nf3 Bg4 4.d4!? is worth examining. ChessPublishing is the only source I know of that covers this line at all.

Against the Pirc/Modern, bite the bullet and go into the Austrian Attack. After 5...0-0 the hack line with 6.e5 and h4-h5 has scored very well, but 5...c5 is more testing from both a practical and theoretical perspective.

Against the Alekhine, either go into the Exchange Variation and study a few model games, or play 4.Nf3 and make sure you know the theory.

There are a number of good systems against the Scandinavian; you can do worse than Nf3/Be2/0-0/d4/c4 (the exact order depending on Black's response).

Finally, against the Nimzowitsch and 1...b6, you are spoilt for choice.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Blunderer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 05/23/11 at 21:36:50
Post Tools
Ametanoitos wrote on 05/23/11 at 20:53:12:
Be patience! Quality's (or should i say Jacob's) GM Rep 1.e4 is (are) coming!!!!

yes but so is xmas - don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of quality chess and the crew.  But Aaaaggaaaard has taken on a big task - i suspect it will take longer than expected...

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #14 - 05/23/11 at 20:53:12
Post Tools
Be patience! Quality's (or should i say Jacob's) GM Rep 1.e4 is (are) coming!!!!

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #13 - 05/23/11 at 16:30:14
Post Tools
Emms' Attacking with 1 e4 is a good way to kickstart an e4 repertoire. It has lines against (most) everything, so you can use it to backfill anything you don't have an in-depth response for yet.

IP Logged

Blunderer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 05/23/11 at 13:11:36
Post Tools
I've recently starting going through the same process of moving from 1 d4.

My approach has been to use Sam Collins opening repertoire as a starting point (the Batsford book and CB DVD), with various additions as shown below:

1) Scotch - supplemented by Emms SO Scotch (there is also a book by Barsky from Chess stars, but I think Emms is at least equal to this)

2) Caro Kann - supplemented by Wells Gambit book on the Caro, and Aagaaaaard's Easy guide from Everyman

3) French - used Bologan DVD

4) Sicilian - have stuck with c3 lines of Collins, but would like to find time to use De Villa's book instead

5) Pirc / Modern - still trying to find a line I'm happy with

Still leaves the Petroff, Philidor, Alekhine and any other openings named after famous players

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 05/23/11 at 05:48:19
Post Tools
Mastering the French by McDonald and Harley and as already mentioned Mastering the Spanish are books I like. They have both the approach you talk about, not heavy theory, but pointing out playable plans, based on pawn structure. Mastering the Openings by Watson is a good overview I guess. He presents the material a in normal variation style, but with an emphasis on different options for both sides, rather than cutting-edge theory.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #10 - 05/22/11 at 03:21:21
Post Tools
punter wrote on 05/21/11 at 21:12:37:
thx, i will try to find those;
Btw. I got my hands on Bologan DVD on French defence not so long ago and it was perfect balance between theory and some games for me. I just went through the variation with some computer book as he was talking and I could see a lot of places where his analysis is not up to date but still it was very instructive and about the amount of theory I could ever need.

I haven't seen this myself yet (I normally play 3.Nd2 with White), but if you have any interest at all in the Rossolimo I recomend his DVD on that too, and probably his recent book on the same subject for deeper study.

This is easy to combine with De La Villa's Open Sicilian book; basically replacing the Sveshnikov, Kalashnikov and Grivas variations with 2...Nc6 3.Bb5.

Greet's book could be a nice and easy start with the Ruy Lopez (he uses lines with Qe2 a lot).

For more depth on the 3.Nc3 French, Opening for White According to Anand Vols. 6-7 is probably still the best book source out there (Winawer main lines including 7.Qg4; Classical 4.e5 Nfd7 5.f4).

Other than that, if you need a little bit against everything why not try a ChessPublishing subscription?

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #9 - 05/22/11 at 02:43:23
Post Tools
Quote:
My respect for 2100+'s has declined a bit
punter wrote on 05/21/11 at 21:12:37:
Well, I can't see why.

Because they lose for the same reasons as I do, as I indicated in my previous post.
Btw, please don't take this seriously. I would be very satisfied with 2-20 in blitz against you.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

blueguitar322

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 05/22/11 at 02:42:07
Post Tools
For the Ruy Lopez: Mastering the Spanish with the Read and Play Method by Daniel King and Pietro Ponzetto

For a random selection of stuff after 1 e4 (open games including the Ruy and Philidor but not the Petroff, lots on the Sicilian, some on French, Caro-Kann, and Pirc), Mastering the Chess Openings Vol. 1 by John Watson

They're both pretty good, but "Mastering the Spanish" is probably the single most helpful opening book I've ever owned.

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #7 - 05/22/11 at 00:57:31
Post Tools
In your case I'd suggest getting some "starting out" books on the various 1.e4 openings for everything bar the sicilian, french and e5

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

punter

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 05/21/11 at 21:12:37
Post Tools
Quote:
Maybe you can consult IM Merijn van Delft. A few years ago he has written a series of articles about an 1.e4 repertoire for the now gone Dutch Chess Magazine Schaaknieuws. Perhaps you can contact him via Chessvibes.

thx, i will try to find those;
Btw. I got my hands on Bologan DVD on French defence not so long ago and it was perfect balance between theory and some games for me. I just went through the variation with some computer book as he was talking and I could see a lot of places where his analysis is not up to date but still it was very instructive and about the amount of theory I could ever need.

Quote:
My respect for 2100+'s has declined a bit

Well, I can't see why. I have GM friend who beats me like 20-2 in blitz games in openings of my choice and his preparation level was always similar to mine (well, let's see what they play in latest chess informant). My respect for his ability was always huge because of that not inspite of that...

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #5 - 05/21/11 at 20:14:06
Post Tools
punter wrote on 05/21/11 at 17:48:37:
I am 2300 not 2600. At my level games are decided by someone completely screwing up the opening or by not seeing tactics not by the finest points of opening preparation Smiley

That's what they always say about my patzer level (1800). My respect for 2100+'s has declined a bit.

Indeed I meant the book you linked at. Imo this and De la Villa's are heavy enough. But I can imagine that Khalifman's 12 volume stuff doesn't appeal, even if you will find all the critical stuff there.
One problem is that many books on main lines of the Caro-Kann, Pirc, Alekhine and Scandinavian are written from Black's point of view.
At the moment I can only think of Emms' book on the Scandinavian to fit your needs.

Maybe you can consult IM Merijn van Delft. A few years ago he has written a series of articles about an 1.e4 repertoire for the now gone Dutch Chess Magazine Schaaknieuws. Perhaps you can contact him via Chessvibes.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #4 - 05/21/11 at 18:49:15
Post Tools
Sounds like you would be better off with a game collection or two on strong contemporary GMs usually playing 1.e4.

Not sure how many of those are available, but someone will surely suggest a few titles - and perhaps you already have something suitable in your bookshelves?

IP Logged

punter

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 05/21/11 at 17:48:37
Post Tools
Quote:
At this level you should go for the heavy stuff:

Well, I bought my first opening book after I stopped playing tournament chess so "heavy" stuff is not exactly for me Smiley I always played whatever I saw in chess informant or w/e my friends said is interesting variation. I think I need more something telling me "this and this is critical modern game in the opening, and those and those are typical motives" than heavy theory work, especially as I am of the opinion that computer chess theory is miles ahead of GM theory so if I need the latest move I just download the latest book of some houdini/rybka4 wizard and see what he has to say about the position.

Quote:
Experts on the Sicilian

Do you mean this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Experts-Vs-Sicilian-Jacob-Aagaard/dp/9197524468/ref=sr_1_2... ?

Seems interesting. I will check it out.

Openings a la Anand, by Khalifman

From what I can see it has 12 volumes. I can't imagine learning that much. I am 2300 not 2600. At my level games are decided by someone completely screwing up the opening or by not seeing tactics not by the finest points of opening preparation Smiley
It's enough for me to know stuff like "this is critical position and those move are playable today" along with a few examples of commented modern games I don't want to learn 20+ move variations as I see it as counterproductive at my level.

Quote:
De la Villa's book on the Open Sicilian,

I will check it out too. I haven't heard about this book before, thanks.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #2 - 05/21/11 at 15:44:11
Post Tools
punter wrote on 05/20/11 at 20:55:44:
Hi,

I haven't played competitive chess for about 10 years now. I am reasonably strong player as for amateur (2300 ELO).

At this level you should go for the heavy stuff:
Openings a la Anand, by Khalifman
Experts on the Sicilian
De la Villa's book on the Open Sicilian,

that kind of stuff.
And do some analysis of your own in topical lines.
Computer books are not enough.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo