Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Some questions about opening repertoires (Read 22148 times)
Stefan Buecker
God Member

Re: Some questions about opening repertoires
Reply #49 - 07/04/11 at 13:38:15
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 07/03/11 at 03:13:05:
[...] But when even Stefan Buecker acknowledges that the Latvian gives white a significant edge and the statistics are so overwhelmingly in favor of white, perhaps it's time to re-evaluate.

I have changed my mind: http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1262014233/121#121

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #48 - 07/03/11 at 12:24:51
Post Tools
The topic was opening repertoires. The King's Gambit could legitimately form part of the repertoire of anyone up to 2200. The Latvian and other similar openings should not.

IP Logged

Uhohspaghettio
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #47 - 07/03/11 at 05:30:02
Post Tools
Uhohspaghettio wrote on 07/02/11 at 17:43:59:
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 07/02/11 at 17:40:09:
Uhohspaghettio wrote on 07/02/11 at 17:33:37:
I don't know why GMs play the King's Gambit a lot more than the Latvian Gambit. The King's Gambit scores only about 45% in comparison to the King's Knight opening which scores about 55%. I can't find a large enough sample of Latvian Gambit games by high rated players but it would seem to have to score 35% or less to be worse than the King's Gambit (since Black has an expected score of 45% by playing 2. ...Nc6).

Wow.

I wonder where you get your statistics from. In the last decade in games between players rated +2400, the King's Gambit scores ~55% according to my database. Historically, in all games in my database, it scores ~57%.

Are you sure you're looking at the right stats?  I think you may only be looking at White's wins, not the overall percent.

The fact that you don't know why GMs play the King's Gambit while avoiding the Latvian may be a clue for you to try to figure that out. This may be the key to your understanding of the relative virtues of the two openings.

I was looking at it yesterday on Mega Database, also you can see from this: http://www.365chess.com/opening.php?m=3&n=5&ms=e4.e5&ns=3.5 (switch to master's database) Black has the advantage.

The 365chess.com "Master's database" only has 542 games in the King's Gambit. It doesn't say whether "masters" were playing both sides or not.  It's easy to cherrypick games when the sample size is small. Try comparing GM vs GM games.

I trust chessbase databases far more than that one.  Please try running your Megabase with games played only by players rated +2500 (on both sides).

Please, look at your site again. It shows 2.f4 scores 49.1 wins for white, 18.5% draws and 32.4% wins for black. That is after 11,854 games.

That comes to about 58.35% overall winning percent for white.

After 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 scores ~56.35% according to the same database.  It is also played far more often. The online database that you mention has 255,305 games.

The Latvian only has 1521 games in that database. Even though it's played as a surprise opening, White still scores 56% according to that database.

The numbers you're referring to are of the complete database, not just master games. I never take the whole database into consideration because you could have people who don't know what they're doing or are falling into the same traps that a good player never would. I wasn't cherry picking, I never take the complete database.   

I tried Megadatabase from 2000-2010 with both players over 2500 and it has just 90 games and there it does have a percentage of 51.7% for White, while 2. Nf3 has 55.6%. 

However if you bring it down to both players over 2300, there are 557 games and White's score is only 45.5%, which is similar to what's given on chess365.com for masters' percentage and what I gave yesterday. (When there's a lot of games I have to right click on the moves for the percentages to come up). 2. Nf3 gets 55.0%.

I don't know why the KG seems to do better for players over 2500 while also better for the whole database on chess365.com but much worse for over 2300. It could be that these players weren't playing the KG in quite as serious games, mainly ones they knew they would probably win easily or ones that didn't matter. 90 games is probably just not enough. If for example a really top player took it up frequently, then it would skew the result significantly. 

Of course, statistics alone don't describe the relative viability of an opening. But when even Stefan Buecker acknowledges that the Latvian gives white a significant edge and the statistics are so overwhelmingly in favor of white, perhaps it's time to re-evaluate.

I didn't argue that the Latvian Gambit was a good opening, just that it was potentially viable and arguably at least as "good" as the King's Gambit.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #46 - 07/03/11 at 03:13:05
Post Tools
Uhohspaghettio wrote on 07/02/11 at 17:43:59:
I don't know why GMs play the King's Gambit a lot more than the Latvian Gambit. The King's Gambit scores only about 45% in comparison to the King's Knight opening which scores about 55%. I can't find a large enough sample of Latvian Gambit games by high rated players but it would seem to have to score 35% or less to be worse than the King's Gambit (since Black has an expected score of 45% by playing 2. ...Nc6).

Wow.

I wonder where you get your statistics from. In the last decade in games between players rated +2400, the King's Gambit scores ~55% according to my database. Historically, in all games in my database, it scores ~57%.

Are you sure you're looking at the right stats?  I think you may only be looking at White's wins, not the overall percent.

The fact that you don't know why GMs play the King's Gambit while avoiding the Latvian may be a clue for you to try to figure that out. This may be the key to your understanding of the relative virtues of the two openings.

I was looking at it yesterday on Mega Database, also you can see from this: http://www.365chess.com/opening.php?m=3&n=5&ms=e4.e5&ns=3.5 (switch to master's database) Black has the advantage.

The 365chess.com "Master's database" only has 542 games in the King's Gambit. It doesn't say whether "masters" were playing both sides or not.  It's easy to cherrypick games when the sample size is small. Try comparing GM vs GM games.

I trust chessbase databases far more than that one.  Please try running your Megabase with games played only by players rated +2500 (on both sides).

Please, look at your site again. It shows 2.f4 scores 49.1 wins for white, 18.5% draws and 32.4% wins for black. That is after 11,854 games.

That comes to about 58.35% overall winning percent for white.

After 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 scores ~56.35% according to the same database.  It is also played far more often. The online database that you mention has 255,305 games.

The Latvian only has 1521 games in that database. Even though it's played as a surprise opening, White still scores 56% according to that database.

Of course, statistics alone don't describe the relative viability of an opening. But when even Stefan Buecker acknowledges that the Latvian gives white a significant edge and the statistics are so overwhelmingly in favor of white, perhaps it's time to re-evaluate.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #45 - 07/02/11 at 18:44:09
Post Tools
This thread can be summed up thus:

Grin Grin Grin

It's headed for 'da lock, yo!

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Uhohspaghettio
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #44 - 07/02/11 at 17:43:59
Post Tools

Wow.

« Last Edit: 07/02/11 at 19:48:02 by Uhohspaghettio »  

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #43 - 07/02/11 at 17:40:09
Post Tools

Wow.

IP Logged

Uhohspaghettio
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #42 - 07/02/11 at 17:33:37
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 07/02/11 at 02:09:52:
Uhohspaghettio wrote on 07/01/11 at 22:23:14:
  The King's Gambit is worse than the Latvian Gambit...

Did you mispeak? Otherwise you seem to say that 2.Nf3 is a bad move.

No, the King's Gambit is an... (am I really explaining this to Markovich? Apologies in advance for my insolence. Smiley)... opening White plays. The Latvian Gambit is an opening Black plays. I said the King's Gambit is worse than the Latvian Gambit, ie. that White makes more of a mess of his game than Black makes of his game. I would agree that it's not comparing two exact openings, but in no way suggested that 2. Nf3 is a bad move.

I don't know why GMs play the King's Gambit a lot more than the Latvian Gambit. The King's Gambit scores only about 45% in comparison to the King's Knight opening which scores about 55%. I can't find a large enough sample of Latvian Gambit games by high rated players but it would seem to have to score 35% or less to be worse than the King's Gambit (since Black has an expected score of 45% by playing 2. ...Nc6). I'll take back the claim though, I don't know. I thought it was something known but I won't argue it since Houdini's evaluations (among other things) is part of why I thought that. For me it was hard to imagine White forcing a win at the super GM level with the KG, when in fact Black is actually with the advantage, while the Latvian Gambit might allow Traxler-type of complications, so that I why I thought it was worse. 

I've really liked Stefan Buecker's posts in this topic. Even though an opening may be inanimate, you can cause people to get annoyed by saying something is junk or awful. 

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #41 - 07/02/11 at 16:07:44
Post Tools
Oh, I agree completely that offbeat openings are scary beasts.

In practical OTB games, I perform relatively poorly against many of these beasts, and so I strive to put them in petting zoos so they never roam free in tournament halls. If my words alone can do this, I won't have to worry about them! There are far too many of them to refute and remember the refutations of each line.

But again, the offbeat openings for White tend to be far more successful than early Black gambits.

While I agree that GMs are more circumspect about offbeat lines than previous generations, they are far more opinionated about "regular" lines. I think close analysis allows them to be more certain in their statements. Boris Avrukh, for instance, relegates quite a few offbeat lines to the trash heap after offering in-depth analysis in his GM repertoire books.

(Your disagreements with some of his assessments with concrete analysis which makes your comments essential reading!)

IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #40 - 07/02/11 at 14:51:05
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 07/02/11 at 02:09:58:
I didn't think it possible to offend an inanimate object such as the Latvian (or any other chess opening) merely by calling it names.
To whom should I address my apology?

Grin
I know that openings are not covered by the Charta of Human Rights. Still, they deserve animal rights at least. They are like pets for us. When Schiller relegated one of my systems "into the waste bin section" of his book, it felt like watching that old lady who threw her cat into a bin.

Let me replace "insult" with "strong opinion". I admire Simon Alapin for his scientific approach to prefer moves over verbal arguing, plus heated debates. In 1904 Tarrasch and Nimzowitsch became life-long enemies when Tarrasch in a casual game with Nimzo told the kibitzers: "Never in my life was I closer to victory after mere ten moves."

GMs of today are more cautious with strong opinions. They have learned the hard way that unusual ideas are difficult to refute OTB (not talking about corr. here; different story). Last year I asked a GM what he would have played against the Latvian Gambit. He replied that he had never studied 2...f5, nor did he ever face it in a game. He would have chosen 3.Nc3 or 3.d3, he said. - Now imagine Tarrasch and Nimzowitsch in replay. Nimzo: "What do you think about my opening?" - "Err, my dear Nimzowitsch, a bit weird. Let me run the engine over night, before I tell you." The talk could have continued about engines ("yes I know, it's illegal, but who cares - it is so fast"), about copyrights ("did you know Marco continues to plagiarize my column in Wiener Schachzeitung - what a sleazebag". The nice evening could have ended with founding a Guild of Chess Authors. Two friends for life.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #39 - 07/02/11 at 02:09:58
Post Tools
Stefan,

I didn't think it possible to offend an inanimate object such as the Latvian (or any other chess opening) merely by calling it names.

To whom should I address my apology?

Regarding the topic, there are offbeat openings that could serve as repertoire choices for White, but I generally view offbeat Black gambits as more likely to fail upon close examination. The earlier the gambit is played, the less likely it is to succeed. Of course, there are major exceptions, such as the Benko (which hasn't been considered offbeat since the 1960s), but as a general rule I am likely to accept a Black gambit in the first few moves.

I have seen strong players use the Polish and other offbeat lines as White with good practical success. But generally, their offbeat Black repertoire is often a weak spot. 

Of course, playing Black is always challenging. One way to resolve the issue is  to present a moving target and learn 3-4 different lines to a sufficient level of expertise to play it against anyone of a similar rating as yourself. I personally chose to learn 2-3 systems as Black and focused on hiding my offbeat choices within main lines.

Stefan, you are right of course, these general discussions of repertoires are only marginally useful unless they are accompanied by close concrete analysis. Do you have links to the articles you mentioned earlier?

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #38 - 07/02/11 at 02:09:52
Post Tools
  The King's Gambit is worse than the Latvian Gambit...

Did you mispeak? Otherwise you seem to say that 2.Nf3 is a bad move.

But why on earth are we talking about the Latvian on this thread?  If we are, I will say that it's crap, useful only as a surprise weapon; nor will I deign to argue with anyone who holds the contrary. As for fun, walking straight into a worse position is not my idea of it. This little boy likes to win.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #37 - 07/02/11 at 01:30:57
Post Tools
trw wrote on 07/01/11 at 23:44:21:
[...] The grob game was quite interesting and if there was ever a grob contingent to post it to... I would.

Excellent - thanks! There is already such a thread: http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1058536412/26#26

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #36 - 07/01/11 at 23:44:21
Post Tools
I would not count MCO in general as the "authority" on correspondence chess. Certainly not MCO14 when MCO15 is out. Go take a look at LSS/FICGS/ICCF for yourself.

I didn't mean it's not "junk" just in terms of objectivity, it's also not junk in terms of fun and how it's an interesting opening.

Is answered by

MNb wrote on 07/01/11 at 22:34:11:
Of course everybody is also absolutely free to play junk openings if he/she thinks it's interesting and fun. Most people just don't.

And I myself have used a fair amount of junk related openings at correspondence level with varying degrees of success (Sicilian&French Wing Gambits). But of course, these openings are much better than the ones we are labeling true junk. At this point the thread is starting to deviate from the original OP topic. I would point out that such gambits took a lot more preparation for me to play at corr and otb than did any of my main line openings. But they are there for occasional surprise fun.

Stefan Buecker wrote on 07/01/11 at 22:23:05:
It would be great if you could publish these three games. Tests of these systems in strong correspondence events can be sobering, but I'd gladly see the moves to form my own opinion.

I'm not sure the games are really relevant to this discussion as they are pretty much a side argument that has been fueled. But at any rate, I reread a chesscafe article written by you during the Englund game (which is still going though hopelessly lost for him). The elephant game is of little interest as he pretty much resigned before move 12 such is the unsoundness of the gambit. The grob game was quite interesting and if there was ever a grob contingent to post it to... I would.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #35 - 07/01/11 at 22:34:11
Post Tools
The King's Gambit is worse than the Latvian Gambit and yet there are books about it.

Yeah, that's why on ELO 2600+ level the KG was played 30 times in the 21st Century and the LG zero, not even in rapid or blitz games.
Now feel absolutely free to prove your point with concrete analysis in the Open Games section. There is a very long thread on the Latvian and many on the KG. Just don't be surprised if many disagree with you.
Of course everybody is also absolutely free to play junk openings if he/she thinks it's interesting and fun. Most people just don't.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo