Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Latest Kirsan insanity (Read 4318 times)
GeneM

Tournament winner gets
two fun filled knights!

Re: Latest Kirsan insanity
Reply #8 - 07/04/11 at 04:53:32
Post Tools
Women's chess has had separate "World Champion" titles for Blitz Chess; at least Zsuzua Polgar claims to have held that Blitz title.
She usually states her claim in muddled terms, as part of a phrase something like "4 time world champion".

Neither Rapid nor Blitz will do anything to increase the popularity of chess. At most a one-time novelty interest could occur. However, audience members will immediately realize they cannot follow a Blitz game with any concurrent understanding, making it mindless and thus dull.
More to the point, almost all chess spectators do not begin to spectate a given game until it is over. The next day, or 50 years later, they load the game into Fritz and they replay through it.

The 50 years later thing --- this is a great advantage owned by digital sports like chess. In comparison, nobody has any interest today in rewatching a 2003 midseason American baseball game between the Chicago Cubs versus the St.Louis Cardinals.
When I have time to replay through an old game between Peter Leko and Levon Aronian, I am not going to replay through a lower quality speed game like Rapid or Blitz.

GeneM , CastleLong.com , FRC-chess960
IP Logged

punter

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 06/26/11 at 21:26:58
Post Tools
Quote:
That a lot of them tend to play Classical as well is no surprise, but there's a lot of people that just don't care for slow games.

Me for example. I would love to see classical chess replaced by rapid matches (say 2 rounds of 2 games instead of one classical game or even 3 rounds of 2 games). It would be fun to watch, fun to play and easier to organize weekend tournaments (which could be attended by people who cant afford travelling for weeks to play chess anymore).

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #6 - 06/25/11 at 03:25:04
Post Tools
zepled37 wrote on 06/25/11 at 02:21:42:
BPaulsen wrote on 06/23/11 at 23:11:49:
It would also do much to popularize chess, because you'd attract the people that aren't patient enough to sit around for slow games, but enjoy the excitement of fast play. Keeping separate ratings based on time controls makes a lot of sense as well.

Not sure how much people would enjoy it if all they did was play blitz and rapid as they probably wouldn't improve that much.  Aren't most blitz and rapid players people that play both those and classical time controls.  Who plays only blitz that is a fairly serious player?

Many, many people don't have the time/patience to play slow chess, but enjoy playing a bunch of short games for the rush.

That a lot of them tend to play Classical as well is no surprise, but there's a lot of people that just don't care for slow games.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

zepled37

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 06/25/11 at 02:21:42
Post Tools
It would also do much to popularize chess, because you'd attract the people that aren't patient enough to sit around for slow games, but enjoy the excitement of fast play. Keeping separate ratings based on time controls makes a lot of sense as well.

Not sure how much people would enjoy it if all they did was play blitz and rapid as they probably wouldn't improve that much.  Aren't most blitz and rapid players people that play both those and classical time controls.  Who plays only blitz that is a fairly serious player?

IP Logged

battleangel
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/24/11 at 11:17:46
Post Tools
very good step, finally!
classical chess is not suited anymore for people nowadays, people nowadays don't have time time and the will to compete in a classical chess tournament of 9 rounds, where only 1 round is played each day.
Soon there will be 9 rapid chess rounds in one day!

IP Logged

Blue Flaneur
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 06/24/11 at 04:42:37
Post Tools
pretty cool idea if you ask me.

that would be sweet to have events like that rated.

blitz, rapid, and classical can all co-exist happily.

IP Logged

Tricklev

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 06/24/11 at 01:40:36
Post Tools

Some countries already have seperate ratings depending on time controll, I don't see it as a bad idea, for the reasons you already mention.

I hope the absolute champion idea has nothing to do with the classical WC. I do see some exciting games being played between Official blitz WC vs Official rapid (and classic) champions though. As long as those matches aren't some bad idea of trying to find the absolute champion, or mixing the titles up, which would just negate the effect of the different titles anyhow.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #1 - 06/23/11 at 23:11:49
Post Tools
I seriously hope that he's not dumb enough to believe a blitz/rapid champion should have anything to do with the classical champion. Edit: I don't think the "absolute champion" idea is worth anything either.

If he actually put some thought into this he'd realize champions at the different time controls can exist independently much like you have weight classes in powerlifting/olympic lifting.

By changing a certain factor (time versus body-weight) you can substantially alter the outcomes enough to merit having champions based on that factor, while having no negative repercussions.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

snits

Latest Kirsan insanity
06/23/11 at 19:15:36
Post Tools
http://www.whychess.org/node/324

Quote:
Regarding the results of the FIDE Presidential Board in Al Ain, the UAE, the Commission for Modernization considers the issue about introduction of separate ratings for rapid chess and blitz. Within the frames of this project it is proposed to start calculating new ratings from January 1st, 2012.
Besides, it is supposed that there will be held the official World Rapid Chess Championship and World Blitz Chess Championship with subsequent tournament matches for the Absolute Champion title between winners thereof. Established for carrying out full-scale reforms, the Commission headed directly by FIDE President receives till September 1st all the offers in respect of bringing chess into accord with the tempo of life.

Am I reading this correctly that the tournament matches between the winner of the rapid and blitz events will decide the champion in place of the classical system?

Edit: Ah, later on at the bottom of the page he says there would still be a classical system under this proposal and this absolute champion system.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo