Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) classical vs. scheveningen (Read 11127 times)
ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Re: classical vs. scheveningen
Reply #3 - 08/30/11 at 15:19:27
Post Tools
I'd probably rather face the Keres than the Richter-Rauzer; every time I think of taking up the Classical the R-R scares me away.

You might consider using a Taimanov move order to get a Scheveningen: 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cd 4.Nxd4 Nc6.  Now if 5.Nc3 d6 6.g4 doesn't make as much sense when you can play some combination of ...Nxd4 and ...Nge7-c6.  Unfortunately you'll have to deal with 5.Nb5; something to think about, though.  Another drawback is that you can't play the ...Na6-c5 lines against the Sozin (6.Bc4, 7.Bb3).  Chess is full of trade-offs.

On the other hand, if you like the Scheveningen and there is only one line giving you headaches, there is a lot to be said for buying some material on that variation, doing a lot of work, and "out booking" your opponent.  Just make sure you understand the theory and aren't only memorizing lines.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #2 - 08/30/11 at 14:39:20
Post Tools
You might consider buying The Safe Sicilian. No Sozin, no Richter-Rauser, no Keres and several transpositions to the Scheveningen (mainly if White plays g3 or Be2). It will allow you to play 2..e6. The only relevant extra option for White after 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nc6 5.Nb5 d6 6.c4.

Meeting the Sozin with 6...Qb6 does not solve all Black's problems. 7.Nxc6 bxc6 8.0-0 poses some problems.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

agropop

Use your brain

Reply #1 - 08/30/11 at 12:39:01
Post Tools
If you want to play the Classical you should have a good weapon vs. Richter-Rauzer. If you manage to do this, you'll have a great defence against 1.e4. Good luck  Wink ...There are a few topics here if you are looking for ideas.
I supose that the R-R is the Keres attack of the classical, every opening choice has its problems.

IP Logged

zepled37

I Love ChessPublishing!

classical vs. scheveningen
08/30/11 at 11:44:43
Post Tools
I've always played the scheveningen sicilian, but the Keres attack is not much fun and I haven't had much luck with it.  I'm not all that strong a player (~1600) so it's not super important, but I am considering going to the classical instead to avoid the Keres and I can many times transpose to the Scheveningen anyway.  I would look at the Qb6 lines probably to avoid a lot of theory on the Sozin / Velimirovic.

Any opinions of the Classical vs. Scheveningen?  Only thing I don't like is that I like to play 2...e6 instead of d6, but the Moscow shouldn't be too big a deal.

thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo