Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Esserman "Mayhem in the Morra" (Read 174400 times)
MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Re: Esserman "Mayhem in the Morra"
Reply #98 - 09/27/12 at 22:42:29
Post Tools
Whether the accusation is justified ot not, if the subject is some form of discrimination and the discussion grows longer the probability of an apologist using a variation of "don't whine" approaches 1.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #97 - 09/27/12 at 15:02:35
Post Tools
People are overly sensitive.

If people didn't have something to take offense to how would they ever go about their daily lives? Grin

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #96 - 09/27/12 at 02:09:20
Post Tools
IM Andrew Greet wrote on 09/26/12 at 15:48:41:
But I do think some people need to grow a thicker skin when it comes to some of the comments that have been mentioned.

I'll decide that for myself, thank you.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

IM Andrew Greet

Reply #95 - 09/26/12 at 15:48:41
Post Tools
And on a related note (this is going slightly off topic, hence the separate post):

To whatever extent some male players may perceive a qualitative difference between themselves and female players, I believe this is at least partially due to the many high-profile, women-only competitions such as the Women's World Championship, Grand Prix, various team championships etc, not to mention WGM/WIM titles, all of which reinforce the idea that women should be put in a different category from men. (I hasten to add that I DO NOT buy into this, and I think the differences between top male and female players can mostly be attributed to the huge difference in numbers between males and females who learn the game in the first place. I also think titles such as WGM should be abolished on the basis that they are demeaning to female players, but that's another topic.)

I have raised this point because I find it rather ironic: Kosteniuk has become famous and made a good career precisely because female chess players have consistently been put in a different category from their male counterparts, so does anyone think she herself would be in any position to complain, even IF the comment was made in a sexist way? (I'm not saying it was - but just making the point that most top female players seem to have done quite well out of being regarded differently from their male counterparts.)

Anyway to summarise, if you don't like the style of the book then fine; although I personally love the enthusiasm and humour, clearly it won't be to everyone's taste. But I do think some people need to grow a thicker skin when it comes to some of the comments that have been mentioned.

IP Logged

IM Andrew Greet

Reply #94 - 09/26/12 at 15:32:46
Post Tools
Firstly, I should make it clear that I work at Quality Chess, and was involved with proofreading of the Morra book. But putting any company bias aside, I think some people are being MUCH too sensitive about this case of perceived sexism. The fact is that women still make up just a tiny minority of competitive chess players, and if it just so happens that a male player has remained undefeated against females for his career, then why shouldn't he remember that fact and mention it in conversation after a woman finally beats him?
It seems to me that, in order to judge whether the comment carried any negative connotations towards women, one would have had to actually be present and hear the tone in which it was said. None of us were in a position to do that, so I do find it strange that some people have automatically interpreted it in the worst possible way.

IP Logged

Kramnikaze
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #93 - 09/18/12 at 18:40:59
Post Tools
In the Qc7 system, Esserman doesn't mention 10..b5?! I researched this variation back in 2008 with Langrock's book and want to give you a new idea:

Scheveningen can be windy too!

1. e4 c5 2. d4 cd4: 3. c3 dc3: 4. Nc3: Nc6 5. Nf3 d6 6. Bc4 e6 7. 0-0 Be7 8. Qe2 a6 9. Rd1 Qc7 10. Bf4 b5?!

11. Nd5!N ed5:
12. Bd5: Bb7
13. Rac1 Qd7
14. Bd6!! Mayhem! Bd6:
15. e5

A) 15...Bc5 16. e6
B) 15...Kf8 16. Bc6: Bc6: 17. Rd6: Bf3: 18. Qf3: Qe8 19. e6
C) 15...Qe7 16. Bc6 Bc6 17. Rc6 Bc7 18. Ra6:
D) 15...Bb8 16. Bc6: Bc6: 17. Rd7: Bd7: 18. Qe4 Ra7 19. Ng5 Ne7 20. e6 Be6: 21. Ne6: fe6: 22. Qe6:  and blacks Rd7 or Rc7 will be exchanged and whites a and b pawn march forward.
If 22...Bc7, white will have passed pawns on the other wing by 23. Qe3 Rb7 24. Qe4 Ra7 25. Qd4 Rb7 26. Qg7: Rf8 27. Qh7:
« Last Edit: 09/18/12 at 19:50:40 by Kramnikaze »  

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #92 - 09/18/12 at 09:14:17
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 08/09/12 at 01:26:07:
Thanks.

The thought occurred to me that if you play 1.d4 c5, you have to be ready for 2.e4.

HOLY CRAP, you're right!  That gives me ideas...

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #91 - 09/17/12 at 14:47:44
Post Tools
Well, it is quite obnoxious to write "This was the first time that X lost to a woman." But there is so much in Esserman's commentary that is obnoxious, I would not put much stress on this one case. Really while reading Esserman, you gradually develop an urge to go find him and punch him in the nose.

But the chess of this work is, for the most part, quite fine and full of interest.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Chessexplained

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #90 - 09/17/12 at 14:00:59
Post Tools
I recently reviewed the book for my Youtube channel and gave it top marks.
The main reason for that is simply that I found it entertaining to read and full of great attacking chess. It's simply inspirational to see a book in the romantic attacking spirit, with few "positional" considerations. Sure, a "GM Repertoire" on for example  the g3,Rb1 Benko is the theoretically better material, but does it make you "reconsider" your chess? I for my part, after seeing some of the attacking lines in the book, thought about playing some sharper stuff in the future. It won't be the Morra, I don't even play 1.e4, but it raised the interest in sharpening my repertoire. On a side note: I played the Morra in Internet blitz on a decent level with very good results after looking at the book. Even titled players have no decent line prepared most of the time.

Btw, I am quite sure that this book contains mistakes, but that's true for all books. In fact usually it doesn't matter so much, as people simply don't know lines to the very end (see above about blitz games). I know that is not a "scientific" approach, but in reality some slight holes in variations don't matter very much, as even stronger players don't know them.

IP Logged

Bibs
YaBB Moderator

Reply #89 - 09/17/12 at 12:55:25
Post Tools
GabrielGale wrote on 09/16/12 at 15:05:55:
Why? Do I need to? Note I am not disagreeing nor commenting on the chess content nor the opinion of the majority here .......
I do read the reviews and views here before I purchase my chess books. Initially it looks like one of the books which fit one of my book-buying criterion: passion. But then ......
I have refrained from commenting until now, with the blog comment on QC blog which is not denied by the editor ......
so, back to my original question, do I need to buy the book to tell me it is sexist or that I was mistaken?

*Mod hat off*

I did find that part (Stopa/women) a bit odd to be honest. Uncomfortable.
I would have liked a few less errors.

An enthusiastically written book, and plenty of interesting analysis for sure. He makes a strong case for the Morra. Certainly worth a look.

But would have been more concise, tidier without all the 'Hey, I'm wacky' stuff.
'Hey look at me, I'm mad, I am, a mad chess player. Wild. Writing a chess book. Funnily.'
(see also: Taylor, Lakdawala)

But that's just my view. Others quite likely have different views.

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #88 - 09/16/12 at 15:05:55
Post Tools
Why? Do I need to? Note I am not disagreeing nor commenting on the chess content nor the opinion of the majority here .......
I do read the reviews and views here before I purchase my chess books. Initially it looks like one of the books which fit one of my book-buying criterion: passion. But then ......
I have refrained from commenting until now, with the blog comment on QC blog which is not denied by the editor ......
so, back to my original question, do I need to buy the book to tell me it is sexist or that I was mistaken?

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #87 - 09/16/12 at 14:07:22
Post Tools
Have you purchased the book?

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #86 - 09/16/12 at 13:22:38
Post Tools
If anyone is interested in the typos, printing errors or editorial oversights, see http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/blog/?p=1309#comment-7121.
Also if anyone was intrigued as what was the sexist comment made by the author, at least one was revealed at the same blog comments. Not sure if there were others.
On my part, I am in two minds initially. It is the author who repeats the sexist attitude of the player but then is not QC repeating and reinforcing the same sexist attitude by publishing it? A possible defence is to say it is historical but I think by now everyone knows about these sexist attitudes if they desire to dig a bit (..... after did not one of the Polgar sisters comment that she did not hear of any male opponent who lost to her of not being afflicted with some form of malady), do we really need a 2012 publication to repeat something which smells like, looks like "shit".
Further support for some complicity on QC's part is revealed by the fact that QC acknowledges it edits to quite an extent the chessic material, including checking lines/variations et al. This is to say some lines are added and/or improved by the editors. Evidence? the famous case f the missing lines which has now turned up in the QC newsletter.
Surely, the same editorial zeal (which is applauded!) should also apply to non-chessic stuff. After all this is basic Inclusive Non-sexist Language Course 101.
I think QC in not taking a stand on this has tainted its name. Albeit at the same time they publish a seemingly great book by Judit Polgar. But then ...... (I cannot say more without being defamatory).
Finally two things: some will say, let's talk chess but unfortunately this is chess! when I am constantly trying to get more girls to play and persist with chess ......
Secondly, there goes my dream of publishing with QC ......

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

Djy

Non mais y connait pas
Raoul!

Reply #85 - 09/08/12 at 10:59:31
Post Tools
Kramnikaze wrote on 09/07/12 at 08:27:21:
In your example, if you turn the page, the right moves are shown: 1. e4 c5 2. d4 cxd4 3. c3 dxc3 4.Nxc3 d6 5. Nf3 e6 6. Bc4 a6 7. 0-0 Nf6 8. Qe2 b5 9. Bb3 Nbd7 10. Rd1 or 10. Nd4.

There's a discution about this position in another thread.I don't have new Langrock (not yet) and Esserman but some months ago i've worked this one . Langrock give 10.Rd1 (by transposition ,see the other thread) but it's too stereotyded and 10.Nd4 immidiately gain a crucial tempo in view of the sacrifice on e6 and my conclusion was that black is in trouble!

La connerie c'est la décrontaction de l'intelligence  Gainsbourg
La victoire est brillante mais l'échec est mat!  Coluche

IP Logged

Kramnikaze
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #84 - 09/07/12 at 08:27:21
Post Tools
barnaby wrote on 08/03/12 at 14:43:30:
Page 245. Chapter called: Searching the Stars for a Refutation.

His main lines runs:

1. e4 c5 3. d4 cxd4 3. c3 dxc3 4. Nxc3 d6 5. Nf3 e6 6. Bc4 a6 7. 0-0 e6 8. Qe2 b5 9 Rd1 b5

This is one of several examples where moves are repeated.

I agree on those little mistakes, there's also one in the introduction page on Chapter 2 where a6 is played but in fact where Be7 must be played (wrong diagram).

In your example, if you turn the page, the right moves are shown: 1. e4 c5 2. d4 cxd4 3. c3 dxc3 4.Nxc3 d6 5. Nf3 e6 6. Bc4 a6 7. 0-0 Nf6 8. Qe2 b5 9. Bb3 Nbd7 10. Rd1 or 10. Nd4.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo