Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Watson Schandorff Hybrid Repertoire (Read 12687 times)
kylemeister
God Member

Re: Watson Schandorff Hybrid Repertoire
Reply #7 - 12/30/12 at 15:38:14
Post Tools
It would surely be news if 4. e3 and 5. Ne2 were somehow established as leading to "+=" against the Nimzo.  I don't know what the case is with Schandorff, but surely it wouldn't be surprising for an author of a White repertoire book to consistently say that he "prefers White" or something of the sort.

IP Logged

tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 12/30/12 at 15:33:13
Post Tools
WSS wrote on 12/30/12 at 15:12:28:
Or do you simply think that the specific lines that Schandorff offers for 4.e3 5.Nge2 are not sufficient for an edge?

I am quite confident that 4.e3 O-O 5.Nge2 is totally equal, at least after 5...d5 6.a3 Bd6, probably also after 6...Be7, but I'm not completely sure, simply because I stopped looking at it after I found more than one way to equalise in the 6...Bd6 line (using Sokolov's Nimzo book)

IP Logged

WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 12/30/12 at 15:12:28
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 12/29/12 at 21:51:25:
WSS wrote on 12/29/12 at 01:24:50:
I8.  Nimzo - (W/S) 4.e3 with Nge2l

I think Schandorff too optimistic about White's chances after 4.e3 O-O 5.Nge2.

Mark, are you advocating a 4.Qc2 repertoire versus the Nimzo such as Kaufman gives?  Or do you simply think that the specific lines that Schandorff offers for 4.e3 5.Nge2 are not sufficient for an edge?

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #4 - 12/29/12 at 21:51:25
Post Tools
WSS wrote on 12/29/12 at 01:24:50:
I8.  Nimzo - (W/S) 4.e3 with Nge2l

I think Schandorff too optimistic about White's chances after 4.e3 O-O 5.Nge2.
As for 1...g6 Schandorff's recommendations (1.d4 g6 2.c4 f5 3.h4 and 2...d6 3.e4) look attractive to me. His treatment of 1.d4 e6 2.c4 f5 is under par though. It took me less than five minutes to take the angle out of his 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Nf3 Bb4 5.Qb3.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #3 - 12/29/12 at 18:29:26
Post Tools
What about

1.d4 e6 2.c4 f5
1.d4 g6 2.c4 f5
1.d4 d6 2.c4 f5

... first aiming for a Classical Dutch / Stonewall / Nimzo-Dutch, and 2nd and 3rd options aiming for a Leningrad or Classical Dutch setups?

Classical, NimzoDutch  and Stonewall are not difficult to get a position you like against them (another thing is how to develop it), but against the Leningrad you have to prepare something. I suggest some lines with Nh3 (I played a few Leningrads against strong opposition as Black and I remember I was outlayed in the opening with that kind of structures).

I've bought Watson book but not received yet. I'm waiting anxiously.......  Cool

IP Logged

WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 12/29/12 at 14:29:30
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 12/29/12 at 04:57:57:
Are there any transpositions between, say, the Nimzo and possible Ragozin lines that could catch you out?

Thanks SF.  Interesting question... I don't believe there are any transpositional issues there.  The difference between Watson and Schandorff in the QGD is that Watson prefers a more classical Nf3 deployment while Schandorff advocates the Nge2, f3 and eventual e3-e4 plan.  Against the Nimzo I would follow the Schandorff move order with Nge2 (similar to Watson) so transpositions from a Nimzo move order should be covered. 

On the whole I am following Schandorff against the primary QGD and Slav move orders other than the ...a6 Slav where I have more faith in Watson's 6.b3 than Schandorff's 5.c5 approach.

Bill

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #1 - 12/29/12 at 04:57:57
Post Tools
You've obviously put quite a bit of thought into this.

Your repertoire against 1...d5 seems more carefully crafted than your repertoire against 1...Nf6, but I could be wrong. Are there any transpositions between, say, the Nimzo and possible Ragozin lines that could catch you out?

IP Logged

WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Watson Schandorff Hybrid Repertoire
12/29/12 at 01:24:50
Post Tools
I've purchased and highly recommend both John Watson's "A Strategic Chess Opening Repertoire for White" and Lars Schandorff's series "Playing 1.d4 The Queen's Gambit and The Indian Defenses."  I find myself drawn to a hybrid combination of the two repertoires and wanted to share my choices and get your feedback and suggestions.  I love Watson's book but in some cases I wanted a bit more aggressive line such as is generally found in Schandorff.

To minimize the typing, I will use (W) for Watson and (S) for Schandorff.  I also prefer a line against the Tarrasch from Aagaard and Nitirlis (A&N) from Grandmaster Repertoire 10.

1.  Queen's Gambit Declined - (S) Modern Exchange with 9.Nge2: slightly more aggressive than the 9.Nf3 classical approach
2.  Queen's Gambit Accepted - (W) Main line with 3.Nf3
3.  Slav - (S) Main line with 6.Ne5: Watson 3.Nc3 line seems a bit in trouble
4.  Semi-Slav - (S) Aggressive 5.Bg5
5.  ...a6 Slav - (W) with 6.b3 by transposition - seems to offer more chance for an edge
6.  Tarrasch - (A&N) 6.dxc5: forces Black to defend precisely and avoids some heavy theory
7.  Kings Indian - (S) Samisch
8.  Nimzo - (W/S) 4.e3 with Nge2
9.  Grunfeld - (S) Russian System
10.  Benoni - (S) 7.Nge2: although I have to say I've gotten good results so far with Watson
11.  Benko - (W) 4.Qc2: may force a Benko player to think more (which is what they are trying to avoid  Wink)
12.  Dutch - (W) 2.Nc3

Of course taste in playing style and opinions may vary, but I am trying to find the right mix of both author's approaches which yield the best chances.  Would appreciate your thoughts.  Thanks.

Bill

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo