Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Classical Dutch - White Seems Better (Read 107532 times)
HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Re: Classical Dutch - White Seems Better
Reply #56 - 10/01/17 at 03:05:08
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 07/03/14 at 13:15:45:
Here's the PGN for Simon Williams' video on http://www.chesspublishing.com/content/:

In the notes to 13...Bd7 14.d5 Be8 15.Bf4 exd5 16.exd5 Nb4: why not 15.dxc6 ? Which seems more or less winning on the spot. Williams offers the same line in his Killer Dutch. It's a sideline (13...b5 remains the main option), but it seems as though Black needs to be looking for resources: 14...Be8?? isn't one of them.

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #55 - 01/23/16 at 20:26:46
Post Tools
After reading Williams recent book, and despite the main lines not being theoretically watertight for black, I've decided to give this opening a go. At my level, i'm pretty happy to play a thematical hack on the kingside.

Sort of played two games so far, the first a souped up version against the English, where i sacrificed two pieces to open up and mate my opponent and a dutch position that transposed from an exchange Alekhine that bamboozled my opponent and i was able to win after using some ideas i picked up in the book.

So safe to say that i'm learning a lot and finding it fun  Cheesy

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #54 - 12/31/15 at 02:10:21
Post Tools
Well, that was unpleasant.
If he had tried gh2+ then the PC says it is still a game, but it looks to me like white will hold out.
Going all in - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Tomorrow is another day, another year.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #53 - 12/30/15 at 16:13:11
Post Tools
Simon is playing a classical dutch set up today against Romanishin at Hastings. He's about an hour up on the clock, just as things are getting hairy - He's sacked one knight and is going give up another piece for an attack on white's king...he's ran out of attack Sad

« Last Edit: 10/03/17 at 10:33:04 by GMTonyKosten »  

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Roger
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #52 - 05/26/15 at 03:13:12
Post Tools
It worked so well for me that I downloaded the pdf from his website too, I keep the Dutch classical or stonewall as a weapon now, together w/ Win with the Stonewall Dutch (Johnsen/Bern/Agdestein) and The Diamond Dutch (Moskalenko). Matter of taste, I don't know. I tryied some 1.f4 to be a move ahead in the key positions, let's see... Smiley

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #51 - 03/17/15 at 22:54:04
Post Tools
najdorfslayer wrote on 03/13/15 at 20:33:00:
Bibs wrote on 03/13/15 at 11:08:21:
Not impressed? Care to share specifics of your concerns...?

Well 3 major chapters on the Main line. He gives lots of data on ...a5 saying, he doesn't play it any more because it's basically busted.

He then gives another major chapter on ...Qe8 saying that he doesn't rate it and that he has a 0/4 score with it.

He then gives a chapter on ...Nc6 saying it's dubious but a good surprise weapon.

All that I could possibly t
live with but does not inspire me to take up the Dutch.

Also the book is very thick. But most of it is not analysis but overloaded with needless diagrams. Analysis not so deep.

I need to read it a bit more and I may change my mind, it's just personal taste but compared to say a Quality Chess book it doesn't cut it.

I am sure others may like it. Me personally didn't

This pretty well sums it up. It's nowhere near as comprehensive as Tony's Killer Sicilian book and its surprising its in the same series. It's also not as good as his book on the french.

I found it odd that so much of the book is given over to lines that he thinks are dubious or busted. Its not even just the mainlines but also the 2. bg5 line where he gives an early Rh7.

Still after all that criticism i enjoyed reading it (i'm a fairly weak player) and maybe the classical dutch is in relatively poor shape and he is just being fair in his assessment..

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

akita

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #50 - 03/14/15 at 08:01:49
Post Tools
Is the Williams book a re-hash of his e-book does anybody know? I suspect it is but I hope there is some new analysis in there somewhere?

Akita

IP Logged

najdorfslayer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #49 - 03/13/15 at 20:33:00
Post Tools

Well 3 major chapters on the Main line. He gives lots of data on ...a5 saying, he doesn't play it any more because it's basically busted.

He then gives another major chapter on ...Qe8 saying that he doesn't rate it and that he has a 0/4 score with it.

He then gives a chapter on ...Nc6 saying it's dubious but a good surprise weapon.

All that I could possibly t
live with but does not inspire me to take up the Dutch.

Also the book is very thick. But most of it is not analysis but overloaded with needless diagrams. Analysis not so deep.

I need to read it a bit more and I may change my mind, it's just personal taste but compared to say a Quality Chess book it doesn't cut it.

I am sure others may like it. Me personally didn't

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #48 - 03/13/15 at 11:08:21
Post Tools

IP Logged

najdorfslayer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #47 - 03/12/15 at 22:35:17
Post Tools
I got it today after reading it I am not overly impressed Sad

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #46 - 03/06/15 at 22:41:29
Post Tools
Well the Dutch book by Williams is all over European chesswarehouses in stock, so it should be available now. It also shows for the American shop Chess4Less, so it seems that everywhere has it. I hope that Houska's book is available soon.

I actually ordered this Dutch book. I am interested Smiley

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #45 - 03/06/15 at 21:03:33
Post Tools
DenVerdsligeRejsende wrote on 03/06/15 at 00:39:48:
RoleyPoley wrote on 03/05/15 at 21:47:18:
Everyman website has Houska's book as an April release.  Sad

http://www.everymanchess.com/display.php?id=770 shows March 2015, same with the Dutch book http://www.everymanchess.com/display.php?id=781 though?

Yes, sorry. Not sure where i thought i had read that the date was now April...maybe i misread the US date for the UK/EU one  Roll Eyes

I hope there are no serious problems behind the scenes at Everyman. As they have a new website, i'm guessing there are none. Maybe it's my imagination but it does seem that their books are being delayed more often than in the past, and their details of new books are not being updated on Amazon as quickly (some of the books recently released, or being released soon dont have the preview pages or even pictures up yet.)

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #44 - 03/06/15 at 00:39:48
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 03/05/15 at 21:47:18:

http://www.everymanchess.com/display.php?id=770 shows March 2015, same with the Dutch book http://www.everymanchess.com/display.php?id=781 though?

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #43 - 03/05/15 at 21:53:45
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 03/05/15 at 01:00:18:
RoleyPoley wrote on 03/04/15 at 23:45:28:
Isnt this much larger than his ebook?

Not really no - his eBook is around 450 pages - I'm guessing that any differences are strictly in formatting.

RoleyPoley wrote on 03/04/15 at 23:46:16:
Also, this covers a full repertoire (including 1nf3 and the English which i dont think his ebook did.)

His eBook also covered the Dutch versus the Flank Openings. I'm willing to bet this is a direct port - I'm willing to invest the money into the book if he solved any of the problem variations contained within this thread.

If it is a direct port, i hope he has some recent stuff in it. Be a shame if it is just pretty much the ebook, unless few people got it originally.

I might give it a spin if the lines are straightforward enough (or rather, allow black a straightforward hack on the kingside  Grin ). Reading through the excerpt, his writing seems a little more aggressive than his book on the french which i really enjoyed reading.

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #42 - 03/05/15 at 21:47:18
Post Tools
DenVerdsligeRejsende wrote on 03/05/15 at 01:14:18:
A bit offtopic but I notice that Houska's Caro-Kann book has the same month publication at Williams' book (March 2015), but only the latter is published. I am not sure what happened to the Caro-Kann one, but hopefully it comes soon.

With regards to this Classical Dutch book, to me it seems likely that it is the same bigger size like The Killer Sicilian in terms of height and breadth? I know very little about this opening, although I må agree with the title. It just sees out that is White is += to me. I personally would play the Leningrad if I played the Dutch, but that is just my feeling. Anyway perhaps when playing the Dutch what matters more is to get a sharp, dynamic position without worrying about the actual point of when (or if) equality is gained?

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo