Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Guide to the Bogo-Indian (Read 1986 times)
bragesjo
God Member

Long live the Nimzo Indian

Re: Guide to the Bogo-Indian
Reply #3 - 09/17/17 at 20:03:20
Post Tools
If you want explanations there is the DVD "ABC of the Bogo Indian". First there are some explanation, including of lines not in repertour.

After that comes repertour. The notable things is that the repertouar vs  4 Bd2 recommends c5!? and vs 4 Nc3 Bxc3.

However for a repertouar there are probebly better sources.
I think that the Bogo Indian is a more simple and less complex, less concrete, less theoretical and less sharp opening than Nimzo Indian.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #2 - 09/16/17 at 17:03:02
Post Tools
I guess the the Bogo book that comes closest to complete is The Modern Bogo 1.d4 e6: A Complete Guide for Black by Antic and Maksimovic (2014).

It's much longer than the others just mentioned and seems to give Black several options in many of the lines. Despite ostensibly being more about the specific move order 1.d4 e6, it looks like more than half of the lines covered transpose to the "real" Bogo-Indian. (Disclaimer: I neither own nor have read this book).

The normal answer here when there isn't a "complete" style book available is ChessPublishing, but the Bogo-Indian is quite a rare bird in the updates. On the other hand it's a solid opening where theoretical evaluations don't change dramatically every week, so CP should still be useful.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #1 - 09/16/17 at 16:12:35
Post Tools
I remember some pretty good ones from a while back, one by Steffen Pederssen and another even older one that I liked more by Shaun Talbut. They're probably pretty dated by now, unfortunately.

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Guide to the Bogo-Indian
09/16/17 at 14:50:44
Post Tools
It seems as though most works on the Bogo-Indian tend to be repertoire books, which recommend specific lines rather than explain or rationalize the positions and ideas derived from playing the opening. Is this because the Bogo shares enough characteristics with the Nimzo-Indian that it's superfluous to go into extensive detail? Or only because the Bogo is regarded as an alternative to the Nimzo in a repertoire? Regardless: are there any good guides to the Bogo in toto?

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo