Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Overlooking opponent's possibilities (Read 3882 times)
Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Re: Overlooking opponent's possibilities
Reply #13 - 04/06/20 at 13:35:05
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 04/06/20 at 11:30:35:
For 1500-2000, Heisman's lLooking for Trouble and Is Your Move Safe? are great.

Great post. I agree with everything you wrote expect I think Heisman's books have a larger range upward. I'm a long-time 2100-2200 player, and I find the 4 and 5 star problems in Looking for Trouble plenty challenging.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #12 - 04/06/20 at 11:30:35
Post Tools
I've found books on defensive tactics helpful to develop my "healthy paranoia." For 1500-2000, Heisman's Looking for Trouble and Is Your Move Safe? are great. In the former, you have to identify hidden threats and find moves to neutralize them; in the latter, you must evaluate multiple candidate moves in a given position and determine which of them the opponent can refute with a strong reply. I also do regular tactics exercises upside down when using electronic diagrams, working from the premove position, i.e., asking  "if I did this premove, what could he do to me?" For advanced exercises, there are Dvoretsky's Recognizing Your Opponent's Resources and Aagard's Practical Chess Defense.

But we still don't know from the OP what the time control is and whether we're talking about leaving a piece en prise outright, allowing a queen fork,  missing something like a backward diagonal move that's simple but hard to see, or calculating one line deeply without even looking for the opponent's early alternatives. And if the time control isn't slow---well, forget it, because you have to play slow chess in order to learn this skill.
« Last Edit: 04/06/20 at 14:16:33 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

gillbod

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 04/06/20 at 08:51:18
Post Tools
By honestly analysing your own games after playing them, you might be able to come to the real underlying reason behind overlooking your opponent's possibilities.

For example, in my case, I was surprised to learn that the reasons were less related to my chess ability, and more related to chess psychology.

When opponents play very quickly, I sought to 'punish' them for not using their time: "They've played this too quickly, they haven't considered this possibility.". I'd enter a tactical variation without being confident in it.

Obviously the above is a faulty line of reasoning; and I have lost many points by using it. Now I am aware of the problem, my play is improving. But old habits die hard.

In summary: as with many areas of chess, the best way forward is to analyse your own games.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #10 - 04/06/20 at 03:28:12
Post Tools
I haven't read it but his work was consistently very high quality: Dvoretsky (2015) Recognizing Your Opponent's Resources, Russell Enterprises, also available on Chessable.

IP Logged

ehpotsirhc

Reply #9 - 04/05/20 at 00:09:58
Post Tools
A lot of interesting advice. Thank you all. I think I definitely don't put myself enough in my opponent's shoes (I get overly focused on my ideas...). I like the idea of solving studies (there are always subtle replies to consider so it would definitely be good for training purposes)

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #8 - 04/04/20 at 14:35:55
Post Tools
ehpotsirhc wrote on 04/03/20 at 00:28:39:
Hello,
I have this very bad habit of completely overlooking strong replies my opponents can play (especially when I have a nice advantage). Any tips on how to overcome this issue? I'm planning on going through Aagard's calculation book (GM Preparation - Calculation) in order to practice calculating more accurately and making sure I consider all relevant possibilities. Any advice welcome. Thank you.

If we're talking about 'real' chess here, with a tournament rate of play, rather than on-line blitz, then unless you're too short of time:

ALWAYS take time to deliberately look for the opponent's BEST reply to your intended move.

In other words you try to put yourself in the opponent's shoes for a short while and try to 'disprove' the soundness of your intended move.

Anyone who doesn't routinely do this is guilty of playing what Heisman calls 'hope chess'.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #7 - 04/03/20 at 17:24:04
Post Tools
It’s a particular problem when attacking.  You are so focused on trying to break through that you forget to consider the opponent’s counterplay.  Larry Christiansen once wrote a terrific article about this that I wish I still had.  But maybe his books or Aagaard’s would be places to look for advice.

IP Logged

Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Reply #6 - 04/03/20 at 14:58:14
Post Tools
It's a glaring weakness of mine, so I too would be receptive to any particular recommendations, beyond studying the masters of slow poison such as Petrosian, Karpov and Andersson.

'Am I any good at tactics?'
'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #5 - 04/03/20 at 13:12:24
Post Tools
@Dink Henkler - On the subject of prophylactic thinking, is there a title you can recommend?

IP Logged

Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Reply #4 - 04/03/20 at 09:50:08
Post Tools
I have this issue as well. It's primarily a problem of lack of prophylactic thinking (the 'healthy paranoia' referenced above; there's a lot of literature on that, and I would start there.

'Am I any good at tactics?'
'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #3 - 04/03/20 at 02:34:03
Post Tools
Is it possible you are overlooking opponent moves because you are making your moves too quickly? Then perhaps it is a time management problem. Dan Heisman just put up a video about this on his You-Tube channel and I found it very helpful.

FWIW,
Cathexis

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #2 - 04/03/20 at 02:05:44
Post Tools
All players have the same issue, just not to the same degree. There are two parts to your issue.

1. "especially when I have a nice advantage"

This is due to relaxation. To overcome this, you need to cultivate a healthy paranoia. For this I recommend endgame studies. The specific reason is that unlike other puzzles, studies are guaranteed to have defensive resources that must be overcome. Your opponent is the study composer, and the first good idea that comes to your mind does not work, for a fiendish reason that the composer has prepared for you. (Maybe the second good idea also does not work.) Two books I like for the practical player are Ban Tactics of Endgames and Averbakh Chess Tactics for the Advanced Player; of course there are others. Endgame studies are about the exception, and are good for developing intuition for resources.

2. "completely overlooking strong replies my opponents can play"

It can't always be relaxation, or it would only happen when you have the advantage. Do you find that you often see the strong reply immediately after making your move on the board? If so, then it's a failure of visualization. To specifically strengthen visualization, I recommend blindfold chess. It's pretty easy to work into your current practice. If you play against an engine, look for the setting which will hide the pieces. If you are going over master games (which you should), then you can try to play through the game without a chessboard. In both cases, the important skill is to actually see the position on the board. If you can accurately calculate variations, even short ones, from the current position, then you are on your way.

And suppose you have good visualization but still have this problem? In that case it's not that you can't visualize, it's that you fail to do it. Here something like Blumenfeld's Rule can help. It was in Kotov's classic Think Like a Grandmaster. That book is worth reading if you have not done so. Kindle edition is a bargain at $2.99 on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Think-like-grandmaster-chess-book-ebook/dp/B00QT4G56E.

IP Logged

VGA

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 04/03/20 at 01:54:58
Post Tools
Missing strong opponent replies when you habe the advantage? Do you mean you miss tactics and blunder when you're not in trouble?

IP Logged

ehpotsirhc

Overlooking opponent's possibilities
04/03/20 at 00:28:39
Post Tools
Hello,
I have this very bad habit of completely overlooking strong replies my opponents can play (especially when I have a nice advantage). Any tips on how to overcome this issue? I'm planning on going through Aagard's calculation book (GM Preparation - Calculation) in order to practice calculating more accurately and making sure I consider all relevant possibilities. Any advice welcome. Thank you.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo