Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Asking for Info on "Sharper" Openings (Read 7282 times)
an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Re: Asking for Info on "Sharper" Openings
Reply #27 - 07/21/20 at 12:57:11
Post Tools
Stigma - I replied to you in a new thread Pattern Recognition and Intuition https://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/chess/YaBB.pl?num=1595336134

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #26 - 07/20/20 at 23:38:13
Post Tools
A bit pushed for time tonight, so I can't address all the points that have been raised. But I will make a start.

First and most important, I hope nobody seriously wants to discuss what to recommend to young beginners, adult beginners, the typical ChessPub member, Sammour-Hasbun and the young Kasparov all at the same time. Obviously no single recommendation can be given to all of these, and it's bound to lead to a muddle.

The post I responded to specifcally mentioned beginners and traditional general manuals. I get a sense you guys are expanding the subject to players of virtually every conceivable level and pretending I would still give the same one-sided advice! Spoiler alert: Of course I wouldn't.

an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 07/20/20 at 06:28:35:
Stigma wrote on 07/20/20 at 04:33:29:
The problem with the "traditional general manuals" is precisely that every single one I've seen devotes too little space to tactics and safety and gives the learner the false impression that tactics is just one skill among many equally important ones.

Every single one... You mean manuals by no-names like Tarrasch, Lasker, Capablanca, Euwe? Hmm, wonder what conclusion we can draw here?

I was not in fact thinking of those specific manuals. There are countless similar books in this genre that try to get people started in chess and teach a little bit of everything. I was writing from my general impression of the genre, but if you asked me which specific books helped formed that impression I would probably mention Tarrasch, Wolff, Koblenc, Agdestein, Ken Whyld and Daniel King. Maybe My System too - a lot of part 1 is beginner-level, but only a few tactics are covered.

I read Tarrasch' The Game of Chess as a beginner, but got very little out of it. I only took a leap in playing strength when I added Reinfeld's two classic "1001" tactics book (and a bit later Silman's Reassess Your Chess).

A friend gave me Emanuel Lasker's Manual a few years ago, but I haven't studied it. I will look and check if maybe he's a positive exception and prioritizes tactics higher than the others. As for Euwe, I have five of his books, but I'm not entirely sure which of them would qualify as a true general manual.

I guess you were trying to imply that all these greats were obviously right and I'm wrong, but remember they were mostly writing before the pioneering work of De Groot and Chase and Simon demonstrating the huge reliance on pattern recognition in master-level chess. We know better today, or at least I believe I do. It's a common finding that top performers in a field of expertise struggle to explain how exactly they do what they do so well.

The small number of tactical examples found in most of these manuals can even obscure the need for drilling puzzles by volume to get tactical patterns into one's intuition, leaving people to try to work out all the tactics at the board via some logical method, which is just not practical.

I'm not sure it works the way you think it works. This certainly needs study, maybe that science will be done someday.

As far as I'm concerned the studies have been done and there's now little doubt of the central value of pattern recognition and intuition in chess.

The best general manual I can think of right now is Patrick Wolff's The Complete Idiot's Guide to Chess, but it's mostly for adult and teen beginners, and the idiotic title may turn some people off it. Children might as well go straight for the Steps Method (paper or digital) or the fun workbooks by Coakley or Bardwick. I also hear good things about Susan Polgar's Learn Chess the Right Way series, which is also available on Chessable.

I don't think Patrick Wolff drilled tactics in volume. He's kind of the poster child for improving by analyzing your own games. Susan Polgar might have done a ton of tactics when she was young. After all, her father wrote that huge book, which has a lot of tactics; but then again it's not just tactics. I bet the young Polgars did a lot of everything.

This was just an aside about specific book suggestions for beginners. I wasn't discussing the authors' own development at all.

To summarize my views: Tactics may be a very important or indeed the most important part of the game, but it doesn't follow that it needs special emphasis. Or rather, it might need special emphasis during a limited time frame, but not forever. People don't stagnate because they aren't studying enough tactics, nor do they progress continuously by studying mostly tactics. They stagnate because they become fixated on one part of chess, usually openings, but it could certainly be tactics, and they keep doing the same thing over and over again even when it stops working. The way to progress continuously is by figuring out what they are missing most and working on that. Rinse and repeat.

This is well put and I largely agree. I wasn't arguing, at least not here, that tactics need special emphasis forever. Again, I was talking about beginners. And further down (in reply #24) you acknowledge that on absolute beginner level not hanging pieces or missing one-move tactics is essential. So I guess our disagreement is really about for how long in a player's development tactics should definitely get special emphasis. I would say that when a player has mastered all the basic tactics to the extent that he can spot them for himself and avoid them coming from the opponent most of the time, he's no longer a beginner and is free to adopt a more balanced training regimen.

About stagnating, I do see quite often adult club players stagnating because they are held back by weaknesses in tactics and calculation. These are the people who dismiss most of their losses with "it was just a random, stupid blunder" and throw the scoresheet straight in the trash. If only they would save those games and look at them calmly and systematically, they could realize those blunders are not random but constitue a glaring weakness and a barrier to further progress.

an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 07/20/20 at 16:50:14:
  1. After the skill of "I go here, they go there, visualize the resulting position" is learned, "tactics" turns into an entirely different category of knowledge. The correct use of tactics then depends on the player's strategic knowledge.
  2. All players, without particularly emphasizing tactics, naturally improve at tactics as they progress through the ratings ranges. Some more than others, but on the the whole all the boats are rising with the tide. Being able to exploit errors more than other players at your rating can do depends on the difference between your tactical ability and everybody else's. By focusing on tactics, you leave behind the old cohort, but the comparative advantage in the new cohort is not that great. Which is okay, but if you try to do the same thing again you are going to quickly run into a wall.

Agreed about the diminishing returns, though I don't think there's ever been a human player who hit an absolute ceiling where no further progress was possible in the field of tactics, certainly when conceived broadly to include calculation and threat avoidance.

When a player has reached a level where it's really hard to use tactics to get past one's peers, I'd say we're likely not on beginner level anymore (more like expert or master level, in fact). So it's important to be clear what level(s) we're talking about. Disclaimer: I'm not saying the best way to get to expert/master is doing almost only tactics.

After all of this, maybe it will surprise you to hear my ideal as a player is to be as well-rounded as I can, with no glaring weaknesses, in order to be well set to read my opponents and direct games towards exploiting their specific weaknesses. I don't think most people would look at my games and conclude I'm a one-sided tactician. It's just that, like most sports have their basic skills that must be drilled to "unconscious" (i.e. effortless) competence, so too with chess. And in my mind tactics are at the top of that list of basic skills for chess, even for positional players.

I still try to get in some extra tactics training before tournaments and I do better on average when I manage to find time for that. But I would not insist other experienced tourmanent warriors should do the same if it's no use for them.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #25 - 07/20/20 at 22:41:59
Post Tools
Drilling tactical puzzles is worthwhile and important, but its not the be all and end all that some make it out to be.  Its ok to learn other things too.  My first coach was a big proponent of playing over annotated games, but he didn't really care what you studied as long as you were exposed to as much chess as possible.   

Was reminded of this when I saw a recent interview of Jan Gustaffson, where he said:

Q:  What do you think is the most overrated piece of advice you hear and why?

A:  "Solve tactics exercises", "Analyse your own games, ideally without a computer", "Study the Endgame". None of those strikes me as a bad idea, but them being passed on as the one road to chess improvement always confuses me. Sooo many titled players that never did that and just played a lotta blitz/read a lotta chess books/clicked a lotta buttons. Of course, you gotta put in the time, but the advice on what to use it on strikes me as not based on much evidence.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #24 - 07/20/20 at 16:50:14
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 07/20/20 at 13:32:21:
I also agree with AOC (and Heisman) that once students largely stop leaving material en prise or hanging to 3-ply tactics, a broad study program is warranted. The fact that players commonly find Yusupov's strategic and positional chapters much harder than his tactics chapters tells me suggests that if anything tactics is a little overemphasized at intermediate levels today.

Somehow I missed this part when I first read your post.

Talking about leaving things en prise (1-ply blunders, or 0-ply if it was already en prise), of course "tactics" at this level is going to dominate every other skill in chess. It takes no cleverness whatsoever to exploit this. It's the equivalent of leaving a twenty-dollar bill on the bus seat and then walking away. Working by experience alone and progressing to 2-ply or 3-ply will be slow going. (Maybe cover your bill with a magazine first, so they have do some work?) Anybody who does some tactics puzzles, whether it be forks, skewers, mates, or whatever, is going to make rapid progress and jump up in rating.

Tactics can be used both positively, to further our own plans, or negatively, to punish our opponent's lapses. Each one is subject to diminishing returns.
  1. After the skill of "I go here, they go there, visualize the resulting position" is learned, "tactics" turns into an entirely different category of knowledge. The correct use of tactics then depends on the player's strategic knowledge.
  2. All players, without particularly emphasizing tactics, naturally improve at tactics as they progress through the ratings ranges. Some more than others, but on the the whole all the boats are rising with the tide. Being able to exploit errors more than other players at your rating can do depends on the difference between your tactical ability and everybody else's. By focusing on tactics, you leave behind the old cohort, but the comparative advantage in the new cohort is not that great. Which is okay, but if you try to do the same thing again you are going to quickly run into a wall.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #23 - 07/20/20 at 15:13:54
Post Tools
Supposing the players to be evenly matched short-circuits the whole idea by controlling for the right-hand side.

I don't follow. My idea is much simpler than that. The player who is good in tactics has a rating, and is therefore evenly matched with somebody. Where is the short-circuit?

Your Kasparov anecdote is interesting. Kasparov is a workaholic. He did drills and... Fischer also did drills. Fischer was obsessed. He did drills and... I agree about De la Maza, I had a hard time not mentioning him in my post.

cathexis is an adult, as are most people reading here. My approach for elementary schools was 5% tactics puzzles (difficulty selected for the individual player), 90% play, 5% lecture (very basic stuff) at the end. But the classroom setting is more art than science.

I would also think that different sets of coefficients would be needed at different overall rating ranges, and that the dominance of the tactics coefficient on the left would decrease as the overall rating on the right increased.

Not sure it's by rating. There's a strong individual component. The other factor is previous tactics work put in. If I am correct that tactics is just one skill amongst others, there is a strong diminishing return even at lower ratings.

Stigma's idea is to evaluate weak players' skills and create separate opening, strategy,  endgame, and tactics scores... (I leave off the dominating part since it should be obvious by now I don't agree with it.)

Beginners don't need to do this step, the scores are all basically zero. Experienced players need to do this step all the time, and work on their weaknesses. But it requires analyzing your own games, which is where the majority fall down. As a coach, this was always my biggest input. Give me ten recent games, I can figure out what you need to be working on. It would be a little cheap to say, "Since you're not a GM, you need to work on mostly tactics", although I know coaches who take this route. What I often saw was that players who were good at tactics (relative to their rating) were poor at strategy (relative to their rating).

An anecdote. I was analyzing with Jorge Sammour-Hasbun, extremely strong tactician, we were going over his most recent game. Igor Foygel, extremely strong strategist, became interested and sat down to analyze with us. The position was complex, nothing was clear. Being neither a strong tactician nor a strong strategist, I wasn't saying much. Every time Igor made a tentative suggestion, Jorge would grab the pieces and execute a combination like it was a blitz game. After a few episodes, Igor said "All you know is take, take, take!" Nothing against Jorge, he is after all much stronger than me, but there is a noticeable "tactical" style that some players have. De la Maza explicitly said that's how he played, it was horrifying to read. These players can become GMs, but it's still not the correct way to play. Kasparov learned strategy from Karpov by playing a match for the world championship. If he hadn't, Karpov would have won.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #22 - 07/20/20 at 13:32:21
Post Tools
A player who is superior in opening knowledge, strategy and endgame technique will frequently lose to an opponent who's just better at tactics (including preventing tactical disasters for one's own side).

If these players have the same rating, the first one absolutely needs to study tactics, and the second needs to study everything but tactics.

Put into a crude mathematical model, Stigma's idea is to evaluate weak players' skills and create separate opening, strategy,  endgame, and tactics scores; then create a valid equation with a weighted sum of these these separate skills on one side and overall rating on the other. The tactics score, he claims, will have a much greater coefficient than the others. So where the left-hand side's skill scores are controlled as described by Stigma, the two players will not have equal ratings on the right unless the tactical superiority of the one is very slight. Supposing the players to be evenly matched short-circuits the whole idea by controlling for the right-hand side.

If "evenly matched opponents are gifting each other material at about the same rate", surely that means when one of them gets better at not gifting the other material, s/he has improved and they're no longer evenly matched.

Surely. But the higher they go on their tactical ability, the more likely they are to be losing in some other area.

Again, if you stipulate at the start that a player with a strong tactics score is losing (by implication to someone not as strong tactically), then of course the other terms are responsible; but Stigma is saying that he will not be losing to his previously-equal opponents once his tactics score improves (by implication even if their other scores improve).

I would also think that different sets of coefficients would be needed at different overall rating ranges, and that the dominance of the tactics coefficient on the left would decrease as the overall rating on the right increased. It is obvious that for super-GMs, opening and strategic knowledge can win games in a way impossible for weak players. That would be one way to construe AOC's last quoted sentence, and I would agree. But even Kasparov drilled quick tactics problems before his last title match (too bad he didn't get to use them, he he).

Now, a plain weighted sum is probably not how I would relate chess skills, even if they could be well defined. Also, it is an open question whether time spent doing  tactics puzzles improves tactics skill in slow play better than actively reading annotated games (which also show you new tactical ideas) and playing slow games and analyzing them afterward without a computer. Tarrasch's beginners' book and Lasker's manual both treat tactics by presenting extensive sets of examples somewhat longer than typical beginners' puzzles today--annotated game excerpts, in other words. If today's internet-addled readers could go through these with the patience of Tarrasch's readers, I think his method would be effective.

My own feeling is that DeLaMazza poisoned the discourse with claims that are shady, to say the least (see http://empiricalrabbit.blogspot.com/2012/06/michael-de-la-maza-verdict.html?m=1) and yet are still influential. I also think modern methods are structured the way they are because they work for children, whereas Tarrasch was writing for adults, or older children with the attention span of adults, capable of active study from a manual.

I also agree with AOC (and Heisman) that once students largely stop leaving material en prise or hanging to 3-ply tactics, a broad study program is warranted. The fact that players commonly find Yusupov's strategic and positional chapters much harder than his tactics chapters suggests that if anything tactics is a little overemphasized at intermediate levels today.
« Last Edit: 07/20/20 at 17:22:00 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #21 - 07/20/20 at 06:28:35
Post Tools
If you feel so strongly about it, I can't expect to change your mind, but at least I can lay out my thinking:

A player who is superior in opening knowledge, strategy and endgame technique will frequently lose to an opponent who's just better at tactics (including preventing tactical disasters for one's own side).

If these players have the same rating, the first one absolutely needs to study tactics, and the second needs to study everything but tactics.

If "evenly matched opponents are gifting each other material at about the same rate", surely that means when one of them gets better at not gifting the other material, s/he has improved and they're no longer evenly matched.

Surely. But the higher they go on their tactical ability, the more likely they are to be losing in some other area.

The problem with the "traditional general manuals" is precisely that every single one I've seen devotes too little space to tactics and safety and gives the learner the false impression that tactics is just one skill among many equally important ones.

Every single one... You mean manuals by no-names like Tarrasch, Lasker, Capablanca, Euwe? Hmm, wonder what conclusion we can draw here?

So when I've recommended a general manual* to someone, I have almost always felt a need to also recommend some tactics work on the side, for instance Chandler's two excellent books, regular training on a tactics server, or a level of the Steps method.

I don't disagree, as long as the learner also does some endgame work on the side, and middlegame work on the side, and openings work on the side, ad nauseum.

The small number of tactical examples found in most of these manuals can even obscure the need for drilling puzzles by volume to get tactical patterns into one's intuition, leaving people to try to work out all the tactics at the board via some logical method, which is just not practical.

I'm not sure it works the way you think it works. This certainly needs study, maybe that science will be done someday.

The best general manual I can think of right now is Patrick Wolff's The Complete Idiot's Guide to Chess, but it's mostly for adult and teen beginners, and the idiotic title may turn some people off it. Children might as well go straight for the Steps Method (paper or digital) or the fun workbooks by Coakley or Bardwick. I also hear good things about Susan Polgar's Learn Chess the Right Way series, which is also available on Chessable.

I don't think Patrick Wolff drilled tactics in volume. He's kind of the poster child for improving by analyzing your own games. Susan Polgar might have done a ton of tactics when she was young. After all, her father wrote that huge book, which has a lot of tactics; but then again it's not just tactics. I bet the young Polgars did a lot of everything.

To summarize my views: Tactics may be a very important or indeed the most important part of the game, but it doesn't follow that it needs special emphasis. Or rather, it might need special emphasis during a limited time frame, but not forever. People don't stagnate because they aren't studying enough tactics, nor do they progress continuously by studying mostly tactics. They stagnate because they become fixated on one part of chess, usually openings, but it could certainly be tactics, and they keep doing the same thing over and over again even when it stops working. The way to progress continuously is by figuring out what they are missing most and working on that. Rinse and repeat.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #20 - 07/20/20 at 04:33:29
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 07/20/20 at 03:56:40:
At the beginner level, literally any learned skill will win a lot of games. It doesn't matter what skill it is, because the beginner is lacking everywhere. Mating, attacking, material-winning, yes even openings, the beginner needs them all. I think a beginner would be better served with one of the traditional general manuals which present all phases of the game. Of course combinations are covered as well.

There's not really a special need to focus on material-winning, because evenly matched opponents are gifting each other material at about the same rate - win some, lose some. The pain of losing should be sufficient to make the beginner more alert.

You've written so many wise things on the forum that I thought I'd jump in here when I disagree with you for once! I agree with Heisman that tactics and especially material-winning tactics are hands down the most important things for beginners to work on, of course without entirely neglecting other aspects of the game. A player who is superior in opening knowledge, strategy and endgame technique will frequently lose to an opponent who's just better at tactics (including preventing tactical disasters for one's own side). If "evenly matched opponents are gifting each other material at about the same rate", surely that means when one of them gets better at not gifting the other material, s/he has improved and they're no longer evenly matched.

The problem with the "traditional general manuals" is precisely that every single one I've seen devotes too little space to tactics and safety and gives the learner the false impression that tactics is just one skill among many equally important ones. (Heisman's books may be the exception here if you count any of them as a general manual). So when I've recommended a general manual* to someone, I have almost always felt a need to also recommend some tactics work on the side, for instance Chandler's two excellent books, regular training on a tactics server, or a level of the Steps method.

*) The best general manual I can think of right now is Patrick Wolff's The Complete Idiot's Guide to Chess, but it's mostly for adult and teen beginners, and the idiotic title may turn some people off it. Children might as well go straight for the Steps Method (paper or digital) or the fun workbooks by Coakley or Bardwick. I also hear good things about Susan Polgar's Learn Chess the Right Way series, which is also available on Chessable.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #19 - 07/20/20 at 03:56:40
Post Tools
Good post, lots to think about. Now I should check out Chandler's book. I've seen it everywhere, but literally never opened it because the title is so, um, stupid?!

ReneDescartes wrote on 07/20/20 at 00:26:59:
Heisman points out that most games between weaker players are decided by tactics (or  blunders) that lose material, so he advises studying general material-winning exercises, not mates.

This is a non-sequitur, because most games between all levels of player are decided by blunders that lose material. The only difference is the beginner's blunder hangs material outright in a simple position, whereas the GM's blunder is five moves deep in a complex position.

At the beginner level, literally any learned skill will win a lot of games. It doesn't matter what skill it is, because the beginner is lacking everywhere. Mating, attacking, material-winning, yes even openings, the beginner needs them all. I think a beginner would be better served with one of the traditional general manuals which present all phases of the game. Of course combinations are covered as well.

There's not really a special need to focus on material-winning, because evenly matched opponents are gifting each other material at about the same rate - win some, lose some. The pain of losing should be sufficient to make the beginner more alert. The biggest problem I see is that people are not analyzing their games, they just play another one. So they don't even know how many blunders they are making, or failing to exploit.

IP Logged

cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #18 - 07/20/20 at 01:57:53
Post Tools
Thanks, Rene. You read me very well.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #17 - 07/20/20 at 00:26:59
Post Tools
Chandler's How to Beat Your Dad at Chess, recommended by Yusupov, has 50 of the very most common patterns including all the named mate types. Chandler even names a few of his own. It's an updated and more efficient Renaud and Kahn. At a more advanced level, Viktor Henkin (=Khenkin) has 1000 Checkmate Combinations. It is really an algebraic version of his scarce Tal's Winning Chess Combinations--and to my mind, the best book on this topic. Though Henkin doesn't give the names, he adumbrates a set of elementary  patterns far more comprehensive than Chandler's, each given with complex examples. Of course, seeing the mates won't help you without practice finding them, so you should do exercises, too. Both Chandler and Henkin have exercises. There are many, many other resources, including a new Chessable course that I think also gives the named mates.

Heisman points out that most games between weaker players are decided by tactics (or  blunders) that lose material, so he advises studying general material-winning exercises, not mates. But unless you know some mates, you'll have no idea how to  conduct an attack on the opposing king when the position demands it.

To be clear, familiarity with mates is necessary, but not sufficient, to attack well. And frankly I believe, though others here may not, that systematically attacking the castled position is an intermediate skill: kids win lots of games without knowing how to do it, but can't win lots of games without controlling their material-losing blunder rate. Still, I disagree with Heisman on this point of studying mates. Firstly, I don't see why we shouldn't teach mating before teaching the general art of attack, just as we teach players to build a strong center before teaching how to use one. First the prerequisites, then the main subject, right? My favorite Ivaschenko basic tactics books, for example, start with mates. Secondly, many mating combinations include ancillary forks, skewers, and so on that win material; and since in a mating combination you often sacrifice a lot of material, usually have to account for at least six squares for the enemy king, and always have to be sure there are no saving interpositions etc., mating exercises force you to calculate with great accuracy. They thereby help develop general calculation skills useful even where there is no king involved.

If you're looking for one mating book now I would recommend Chandler. Henkin is too much to digest, and it omits the names.
« Last Edit: 07/20/20 at 11:36:44 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #16 - 07/19/20 at 23:27:40
Post Tools
  • Shouldn't this be in a separate topic?
  • The number of different mates is arbitrary. Depending on who creates the list, some mates will be considered "the same", another list would have them broken out as "different".
  • In chess there is no such thing as "complete", except for marketing, or quitting.

IP Logged

cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #15 - 07/19/20 at 21:58:55
Post Tools
Topnotch really intrigued me with his suggestion of learning Checkmate Patterns. (I do see he was suggesting more than that, BTW.) Now this site lists 36:

https://chessfox.com/checkmate-patterns/

But I believe even "The Art of Checkmate" lists only approx. 24 or so, depending on how you read the chapter titles. And of course there are a zillion titles that list the "top mates,"  or most common, etc. But I am a completist; if there are 36 *named mates* I want something that will teach me all of them, regardless of rarity. I have looked around for "Checkmate patterns" as a search entry but have yet to find the book that has them all - if the listing on the linked site is correct. How many are there really? And which book describes them all? I have no problem with the linked site Topnotch posted but I always prefer a published physical book over a video or a .pdf print-out.

IP Logged

pirx
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 07/15/20 at 17:51:44
Post Tools
Fianchetto positions can be sharp and they are rarely boring. See Nakamura's games as black with the Leningrad Dutch, which he plays when he needs to win. You can play the Leningrad with white, and that is fun too. As black against 1.e4 the Tiger Modern is easy to learn and again not boring. Personally I don't think improvers should waste too much time on openings. The main thing is to play fun games, not worrying too much about the result. And never accept a draw if there is anything left on the board. Good luck!

IP Logged

VGA

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 07/14/20 at 22:11:19
Post Tools
I was just talking generally about fianchetto positions and why I don't like them for myself.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo