Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) "Chess for Zebras" - $200 U.S., really? (Read 6548 times)
ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Re: "Chess for Zebras" - $200 U.S., really?
Reply #7 - 09/26/20 at 02:08:44
Post Tools
I agree with Bibs.  Two other "thinking about chess" books with more of a personal feel than Watson's are Improve Your Chess Now by Jonathan Tisdall and The Road to Chess Improvement by Alex Yermolinsky.  I loved reading both of those books, and learned a lot along the way.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #6 - 09/26/20 at 00:13:44
Post Tools
The Grunfeld one was useful, but JR's other books left me very cold. I may be in the minority here, and they have been mostly well received, but I simply did not see anything special at all. Rather irritating in fact.
Don't bother paying more than normal, cripes, no. Usual price - well, that's just another book buying decision.

Similar 'thinking about chess' type book I did really like - John Watson's SOMCS.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/85107.Secrets_of_Modern_Chess_Strategy

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #5 - 09/25/20 at 17:29:29
Post Tools
cathexis wrote on 09/25/20 at 15:20:48:
Thanks AOC et al,

Any thoughts on "Zebras" vs. & "Deadly Sins"?

They're both great, and are quite similar in content and style, to the extent that I forget what material is in which. You won't go wrong with either.

IP Logged

cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #4 - 09/25/20 at 15:20:48
Post Tools
Thanks AOC et al,

Any thoughts on "Zebras" vs. & "Deadly Sins"?

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #3 - 09/25/20 at 03:31:59
Post Tools
No not really. But the internet is making people crazy. I searched on abebooks for "chess openings" in the last seven days. Then for the highest priced item I searched for that seller's "chess openings". Just one example, they list a Claude Bloodgood book for $42.60 that is available right now from USCF for $2.00. The used bookstore I frequented pre-pandemic has also been corrupted lately by the internet. But of course there are other sellers who are quite reasonable with their prices.

For the beach, I recommend the app book directly from Gambit.http://gambitbooks.com/books/Chess_for_Zebras.html Better than a kindle book since you can move the pieces in the app while you are reading. Near the water, I protect the device with a zip-lock bag.

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #2 - 09/25/20 at 01:52:50
Post Tools
It's a great book, but $200 is ridiculous. I've sent you a PM.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #1 - 09/25/20 at 00:44:08
Post Tools
The price sounds high until you realize how hard it is to teach Zebras how to play chess.  In all serious though, that price is rather ridiculous. Of course the kindle price is very reasonable and you can get it from Amazon.co.UK for $37.96.

IP Logged

cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

"Chess for Zebras" - $200 U.S., really?
09/25/20 at 00:00:16
Post Tools
[I hate these boutique dealers that charge a fortune for hard to get books and then drive up the price for mere mortals.] Anyway,...

I know this book has been discussed before but I think that was over 10 years ago. Would members here really think this book is worth it ? Especially when "7 Deadly Chess Sins" is a mere $25?
Some of the blurbs sound interesting and the Wifey and I are going to chance a beach trip in early October. A book to read I can get away with, bringing a chess board and staying all day in the room working on tactics is liable to get me in hot water for obvious reasons.  Roll Eyes
Any thoughts on either of these books and their price points?

Much Appreciated,

Andrew

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo