Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Anti-Cheating Metrics and Chess.com (Read 1825 times)
cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Re: Anti-Cheating Metrics and Chess.com
Reply #5 - 06/07/21 at 18:57:20
Post Tools
@ hicenunc,

Well that's reassuring, not that I'm gonna be on a GM-level soon!

@ AOC,

I think I see what you mean. The best reply I can give is that most openings are associated with known specific mainlines and tabiyas (tabiyae? tabiyii?). So ethics might dictate that if you're playing multiple games at once and using computer-assisted prep, then only use a given opening variation once at any given time. So, you have to finish your Ruy Lopez Chigorin before you begin it in another game but you can always play the Breyer instead - as Black. But if White, then no more Ruy Lopez until you're done!  Cheesy

IP Logged

hicetnunc

"Do something scary every
day"

Reply #4 - 06/07/21 at 15:32:16
Post Tools
cathexis wrote on 06/07/21 at 14:01:21:
Thanks!

I was asking partially because I finally joined a chess club that right now only meets on-line (but has been around since 1954). I don't think I am all that great! But I run ideas through Stockfish after I decide what interests me. The club replies on Chess.com cheating metrics but uses Zoom when prize money is at stake. I wouldn't want to make a bad initial impression by getting flagged - one day the club will go back to OTB and so I  am putting my hopes for my future into OTB play and getting officially rated thru these nice people and the USCF which I also joined.

The scenario where you play the opening like a GM, get a decisive advantage 8 times out of 10 and play the rest of the game (by yourself) at 2200 FIDE won't get you flagged for cheating either... There's still a massive gap between well-prepared human and engine-assisted human  Smiley

48 yo, 1920 elo

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #3 - 06/07/21 at 14:58:06
Post Tools
Actually your question and the way you phrased it reminded me of an ethical and practical issue with correspondence chess and engines that has long puzzled me. This only applies to correspondence chess where engines are not allowed: USCF correspondence play, chess.com turn-based play, maybe others.

As an OTB player, there is a clear separation between "when I am playing" and "when I am preparing". But as a correspondence player, practically speaking there may be no time when I am "not playing". Now if I am playing exactly one correspondence game, then it should be obvious I can't use an engine to analyze an opening that is on the board. Later in the game, say in the endgame, then it should be okay to analyze the opening, preparing for my next outing with that opening.

But what if I am playing multiple events with different start times? Some of them will be in the opening, and others will be in the endgame, and as a busy player it may be there is never a time when I am allowed to analyze a popular / my favorite opening. How do correspondence players handle this scenario? It seems to me that ethically it unavoidably becomes a fine judgment call. Which as we know humans are not very good at.

IP Logged

cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #2 - 06/07/21 at 14:01:21
Post Tools
Thanks!

I was asking partially because I finally joined a chess club that right now only meets on-line (but has been around since 1954). I don't think I am all that great! But I run ideas through Stockfish after I decide what interests me. The club replies on Chess.com cheating metrics but uses Zoom when prize money is at stake. I wouldn't want to make a bad initial impression by getting flagged - one day the club will go back to OTB and so I  am putting my hopes for my future into OTB play and getting officially rated thru these nice people and the USCF which I also joined.

IP Logged

hicetnunc

"Do something scary every
day"

Reply #1 - 06/06/21 at 13:47:03
Post Tools
Cathexis [/quote]
cathexis wrote on 06/06/21 at 12:57:16:
I have read what is on their site and it is predictably vague for perhaps obvious reasons. Their site tried to be very reassuring but far less than informative. I would like to ask this: Suppose another player and I agree to meet there for a game. We agree to play mainline Ruy Lopez and we both have that memorized 20+ moves deep along agreed variations. We have used Stockfish to suggest best moves along the agreed upon variation. But we did this off-line in personal study. No engines are used in the actual game. Our goal is to work on middlegame possibilities going forward from there. But we don't want to just set up a position, but begin 1.e4 e5. Are we now both going to get flagged for cheating since our moves are "Stockfish perfect"? Please feel free to add any thoughts on this as it makes me wonder if Bobby Fischer showed up as "unrated" and started playing whomever wouldn't he get flagged and banned in a hot-ass minute?

TIA,

Cathexis

If you want to train with a friend, you should play unrated. As far as I know, unrated games are not monitored for cheating.

You'll never be flagged for cheating for a single perfect game (unless they detect some kind of known cheating software connecting with their website).

In general, you'll never be flagged for cheating if you're playing well or even exceptionnaly well. Just think of it this way : if you're wrongly banned for cheating, then you can go collect an IM title OTB with no difficulty (so go get your title as a consolation)  Smiley

A GM who would log as an anonymous player would get flagged for cheating. I think it happened to Gormally and they reversed the ban when he told them who he was.

48 yo, 1920 elo

IP Logged

cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Anti-Cheating Metrics and Chess.com
06/06/21 at 12:57:16
Post Tools
I have read what is on their site and it is predictably vague for perhaps obvious reasons. Their site tried to be very reassuring but far less than informative. I would like to ask this: Suppose another player and I agree to meet there for a game. We agree to play mainline Ruy Lopez and we both have that memorized 20+ moves deep along agreed variations. We have used Stockfish to suggest best moves along the agreed upon variation. But we did this off-line in personal study. No engines are used in the actual game. Our goal is to work on middlegame possibilities going forward from there. But we don't want to just set up a position, but begin 1.e4 e5. Are we now both going to get flagged for cheating since our moves are "Stockfish perfect"? Please feel free to add any thoughts on this as it makes me wonder if Bobby Fischer showed up as "unrated" and started playing whomever wouldn't he get flagged and banned in a hot-ass minute?

TIA,

Cathexis

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo