Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Pairings programs and double encounters (Read 876 times)
Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Pairings programs and double encounters
Reply #3 - 05/06/22 at 15:36:21
Post Tools
Hi.

Come to think of it a pairings program that can just copy the present tournament with results already input included could be good as well.

What could be done to simulate having double round is to copy the tournament once point where double round should be turned on is reached, put all results as 1-0w.o. for winners and ideally 0,5-0,5w.o. for drawing players (seems weird but I think some programs allow this). Or if you wanna keep colour balance maybe adding some token player to the tournament in order to pair players with uneven colour balance against; with the real player having the colour they have more of. W.o. is usually colour neutral asfaik while bye counts as white for most programs I believe.

And then simply pair remaining rounds. Points would be the same even after changes. Colour balance should be good, since w.o. doesn't have effect on that. Order numbers (a feature of Monrad-swiss) should be remembered if using the original tournament and not the copy. At end of tournament (or when last round has been paired) results and pairings for rounds played before change can be checked in copy tournament and put back. Downside is it would be hard to know Bucholz score (or whatever tiebreak used that is based on previous results) before having put back all the pairings and results. In a blitz tournament that's probably not to important though. You could also pair the last round, put back all results, allow players to check table and then let the players play the round.

You may not actually need a pairings program double encounter off/on feature for this to make it work in other words.

Have a nice day.

Edit: Hoping w.o. doesn't actually count as players having played each other; which I think is the case.

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 05/06/22 at 14:52:32
Post Tools
Hi.

I see. That seems to me like it would work best in a pretty even field rating wise. If a strong player faces a weak player in a two game match it's going to be two games used for sporting wise a relatively uninteresting pairing. The fact that two wins is so desirable makes it a little bit more interesting I guess. Maybe with three points for double wins you would get a slightly faster, compared to normal scoring, clarification of what rough place in the tournament table people are going to spend their tournament. Interesting games can start quicker then I guess. Or people end up playing 1-1 or 1,5-0,5 (is this 2p for winner btw or still 1?) and just stay where they are in the table roughly. I don't know.

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #1 - 05/06/22 at 08:12:18
Post Tools
I've played a tournament where the pairing system is standard. But you played two games with your opponents (one with White and one with Black).
  • two wins: 3 points
  • win and a lose: 1 point
  • two draws: 1 point
  • two loses: 0 points

It was both interesting and fun ! It was a semi-rapid tournament, it would be difficult with long time controls.

No 100% related to your question, but nice to point out this possibility. Especially if you manage the tournament. You only need a normal pairing program to do that. And you can simply use the standard [1, 0.5 , 0] possible result if your software does not allow to use other results. In our case, we used the 3 point bonus to discourage the mutual agreement in share points (one for you, one for me)...

Salut

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Pairings programs and double encounters
05/06/22 at 06:49:38
Post Tools
Hello.

Oddly specific question...

Is there any pairings computer program out there where you can toggle double encounters on and off? What tends to happen is you select double encounters allowed or not and then pair at some point. That locks the setting regarding double encounters in place. If you want to turn on (or off) double encounters it just doesn't work.

I ask because when pairing small blitz tournaments (20-30 people) it is not the most exiting or rewarding for the players to have single encounters only. They just play through the field and basically have lots of unexciting games. On the other hand if double encounters is enabled from start (if that's even allowed by the pairing program for non-round robins), what happens is the best players play each other very early on in the tournament. Maybe slightly less early with Fide-Swiss compared to Monrad Swiss but still. I would like to have the option of toggling double encounters on at some pre-announced point of the tournament (a round corresponding to somewhere 50-70% in... not actually sure) and watch all the dramatic second games between top players happen in the latter to last part of the tournament.

Likely a similar effect as I would like to get could be accomplished by having a qualification round and then main round between players placing near each other in the qualification. There is some level of cumbersomeness to having separate qualification rounds though. Having everybody in the same tournament table all the time looks more aesthetic Cool.

Have a nice day.

Edit: Big bonus points if it can also do Monrad-Swiss (as any good pairings program!)
« Last Edit: 05/06/22 at 14:35:01 by Confused_by_Theory »  

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo