Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Caro-Kann the easy way by Engqvist (Read 1613 times)
Alias
God Member

Re: Caro-Kann the easy way by Engqvist
Reply #7 - 01/02/24 at 08:14:32
Post Tools
FreeRepublic wrote on 12/02/23 at 01:03:34:
I couldn't find this at Gambitbooks.com (tablet) or Forwardchess.com (PC and tablet). Gambit App books and ForwardChess Ebooks offer a complete solution.

One PC (and Mac) strategy is to have a robust set of games in Chess Opening Wizard (COW) taking 40% of the screen and the Kindle book using 60% of the screen. That way, you can play the moves of the game in COW. You can copy text from the Kindle book and paste it into COW. You must use two programs, but it does work.

There is a bit of a learning curve, compared to the integrated solutions from ForwarcChess or Gambitbooks. However, I think it may be the better approach if you want to add your own comments and analysis.

Gambit only has books from Gambit.
Forward has books from several publishers, but Batsford is not one of them.

You should be able to buy the ebook from https://www.batsfordbooks.com/book/the-caro-kann-the-easy-way/

"Ebooks bought directly from us can be read through the Glassboxx App on Android and IOS mobiles, tablets and on Kindle Fire."

I guess that Glassboxx is not a chess app, but rather a general app for reading ebooks.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

FreeRepublic
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 12/02/23 at 01:03:34
Post Tools
I couldn't find this at Gambitbooks.com (tablet) or Forwardchess.com (PC and tablet). Gambit App books and ForwardChess Ebooks offer a complete solution.

One PC (and Mac) strategy is to have a robust set of games in Chess Opening Wizard (COW) taking 40% of the screen and the Kindle book using 60% of the screen. That way, you can play the moves of the game in COW. You can copy text from the Kindle book and paste it into COW. You must use two programs, but it does work.

There is a bit of a learning curve, compared to the integrated solutions from ForwarcChess or Gambitbooks. However, I think it may be the better approach if you want to add your own comments and analysis.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #5 - 12/01/23 at 16:43:56
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 12/01/23 at 07:46:08:
The amazon kindle sample has the introduction and a large chunk of chapter 1 (4...Bf5).
https://www.amazon.com/Caro-Kann-Easy-Way-Thomas-Engqvist-ebook/dp/B0CLSP6ZTQ

Thomas Engqvist wrote:
Quote:
If Black understands that this opening stands or falls with the knight on b8, he understands one of the most fundamental things about the Caro-Kann. It is all about the knight on b8, and it might become your favorite piece if you start to play the Caro-Kann! The b8-knight is the soul of the Caro-Kann Defence. The ultimate dream is to decide the game with this knight ...

Weird.

I think that that excerpt was quite useful and much better than the other. The quote is interesting, not weird.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #4 - 12/01/23 at 07:46:08
Post Tools
The amazon kindle sample has the introduction and a large chunk of chapter 1 (4...Bf5).
https://www.amazon.com/Caro-Kann-Easy-Way-Thomas-Engqvist-ebook/dp/B0CLSP6ZTQ

Thomas Engqvist wrote:
Quote:
If Black understands that this opening stands or falls with the knight on b8, he understands one of the most fundamental things about the Caro-Kann. It is all about the knight on b8, and it might become your favorite piece if you start to play the Caro-Kann! The b8-knight is the soul of the Caro-Kann Defence. The ultimate dream is to decide the game with this knight ...

Weird.

IP Logged

Kerangali

I am every one and every
zero

Reply #3 - 11/30/23 at 16:11:28
Post Tools
I remember this immortal quote from this forum: "We Caro-Kann players are not interested in interesting positions".

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #2 - 11/30/23 at 12:43:36
Post Tools
Dink Heckler wrote on 11/30/23 at 11:20:29:
Cover: 'The Easy Way'
Page 129: '50...Kd6! to hold this grotty ending'

Grin

IP Logged

Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Reply #1 - 11/30/23 at 11:20:29
Post Tools
Cover: 'The Easy Way'
Page 129: '50...Kd6! to hold this grotty ending'

'Am I any good at tactics?'
'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Caro-Kann the easy way by Engqvist
11/30/23 at 10:15:53
Post Tools
I noticed a new book on the Caro Kann. There are plenty of others but since it was written by fellow swede Thomas Engqvist I'm a bit interested in it.

Has anyone got it yet? Is it good? What lines are suggested?

Batsford info: https://www.batsfordbooks.com/book/the-caro-kann-the-easy-way/

Sample pages can be found at https://www.newinchess.com/the-caro-kann-the-easy-way

Not much can be understood by the sample pages. It is Bf5 vs advance variation.

The eBook can apparently be viewed with a Glassboxx app. As it seems to be used for other types of books, I assume that readers can just view the pages. I assume there is no board, no engine et c. Has anyone here any experience with that app?

I couldn't buy the eBook as I couldn't change the country from UK to Sweden and was thus not allowed to make the purchase.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo