Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) NEW BDG BOOK (Read 222404 times)
Markovich
God Member

Re: NEW BDG BOOK
Reply #51 - 02/25/09 at 13:36:03
Post Tools
Well if SWJediKnight intends his BDG recommendation to apply to young and improving players, I fully agree.  I think it's a good way to get an open, attacking game of chess where the emphasis will often be on finding tactics.  Granted, White's comp is not quite enough, but this is unlikely to matter much at lower levels of play.  If I thought the BDG were totally unsound, I wouldn't take this position, but Black's game isn't a total piece of cake.

I recommend the King's Bishop's Gambit, the Goering Gambit, the Belgrade Gambit, the Scotch Gambit and the Scotch Four Knights on the same basis.

By the time a player is rated 2100 or so, however, I expect him to be perfectly capable of handling open positions and finding tactics, so I think that above that level, and possibly even before then, I would recommend his shifting to something more capable of producing a real advantage, and also more conducive to the progress of his chess understanding.  1.d4, 2.c4, for example.

Definitely if an improving player can cut down the occasional chess master with gambit-style play, he should switch away from these simple, 19th-Century-style gambits.  That doesn't mean that he should shun White's side of the Anti-Moscow, of course.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #50 - 02/25/09 at 08:39:56
Post Tools
SWJediknight wrote on 02/24/09 at 18:04:44:
The Latvian does have a lot of fanatical supporters, you just don't see them on here.  Look at some of Jeremy Silman's Latvian-bashing articles for proof.

Oh I know that, it is just that the BDG has that name since Diemer. You should read some of the exchanges in writing between Diemer and Muller, real entertaining if you can stand their German.
Quote:
It's very clear that I am being tarred with the same brush as the hardcore BDG fanatics- and I think it's not right that I should suffer because Lev Zilbermints and his ilk obsess about how 8.0-0?! in the Euwe Defence wins a lot of 5-minute games.   Or do people think I displayed fanaticism in this thread?  All I did was join a couple of other members in suggesting that the BDG might be viable as a part of a wide-ranging opening repertoire below 2000 Elo (note- I even advised against making it the centrepiece of one's repertoire).  I have even admitted many times that objectively in the BDG, Black is at least equal with best play.  And then, when I was singled out from the others and scorned for daring to suggest it, I defended the validity of my position.  Am I not allowed to have anything less than utter contempt for this opening without being labelled as a Zilbermints level fanatic of it?

I am certainly not tarring you or anything if it came across as that, be assured that that wasnt my intention. Basically like you are not guilty "by association", I am not either. Smiley
I am just opposed to recommending it to others as something to improve their play with.
Quote:
Some of the former openings I mentioned are definitely better than the BDG- e.g. 1.e4 e5 2.d4 exd4 3.c3 dxc3 4.Nxc3 almost certainly fully compensates for the pawn.  But some of the others are open to debate.  Some people believe Black has the edge against the Moller, Morra and Goring Gambits with best play (I don't agree on the latter two, but that's beside the point).  Similarly, it isn't a foregone conclusion that Black has an edge against the BDG- see other threads for how open to debate this is.  

Whence the reason they are not played that much. I have quite a lot of experience with the Moller and indeed you have to try to reach equality in many lines. That is why I dropped it and started playing other lines.
I remember the games well. I would be happy at first that I could get "my" Moller line on the board, but that would gradually give way to frustration because my opponent chose yet another line in which I had to fight to remain equal.
Quote:
Again, a sure sign that I'm being tarred with the same brush as Gambit, Sloughter etc.   I couldn't care less about 8.0-0?! in the Euwe Defence and all the rest of it.  I do, sometimes, delve into these threads when people are contributing analysis on the BDG, because along with many other openings, it's a line I take an interest in.  And on occasion I've found resources for Black- e.g. 1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 c6 5.Bc4 exf3 6.Nxf3 Bf5 7.Bg5 e6 8.Qe2 Bb4! (an improvement on 8...Be7, which works nicely for White), where White might not have enough for the pawn.  Is this the trademark of a BDG worshipper?  And I probably play the BDG in, at most, 10% of my games with White- is that the sign of a fanatic?

Again I dont see you as some fanatic or worse a lunatic. Most of the lines in the BDG are at the very least entertaining and it can never be a bad thing to analyse such lines.
Quote:
If I'm uptight about anything, it's being tarred with the same brush as people whose attitude to chess is a lot different to mine.  And my defensiveness of my right to a relatively moderate view, without being tarred with the same brush as those with an extreme view, is clearly being mis-interpreted as defensiveness of the BDG.

What I object to is the recommendation of the BDG to improving players for reasons I gave earlier. I feel most players will not benefit from playing it and certainly not when they put a lot of effort in it. As I see it we just have a simple disagreement, nothing more, nothing less.
Though of course everybody knows I am always right Grin

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

SWJediknight
God Member

Alert... opponent out
of book!

Reply #49 - 02/24/09 at 18:04:44
Post Tools
Right, addressing some of the points:

Quote:
This is not the case for the King's Gambit. What do you conclude from this?

A good point.  I guess that the King's Gambit might be harder to play and/or easier to play against at lower levels than is the case with many of the other gambits.  

Quote:
Elephant yes, Latvian I am not so sure. What they lack are ardent supporters who are as fanatical as some are about the BDG. The minute someone starts doing that you will get the same as illustrated in the thread about the refutation of the TKD.

The Latvian does have a lot of fanatical supporters, you just don't see them on here.  Look at some of Jeremy Silman's Latvian-bashing articles for proof.

It's very clear that I am being tarred with the same brush as the hardcore BDG fanatics- and I think it's not right that I should suffer because Lev Zilbermints and his ilk obsess about how 8.0-0?! in the Euwe Defence wins a lot of 5-minute games.   Or do people think I displayed fanaticism in this thread?  All I did was join a couple of other members in suggesting that the BDG might be viable as a part of a wide-ranging opening repertoire below 2000 Elo (note- I even advised against making it the centrepiece of one's repertoire).  I have even admitted many times that objectively in the BDG, Black is at least equal with best play.  And then, when I was singled out from the others and scorned for daring to suggest it, I defended the validity of my position.  Am I not allowed to have anything less than utter contempt for this opening without being labelled as a Zilbermints level fanatic of it?

Some of the former openings I mentioned are definitely better than the BDG- e.g. 1.e4 e5 2.d4 exd4 3.c3 dxc3 4.Nxc3 almost certainly fully compensates for the pawn.  But some of the others are open to debate.  Some people believe Black has the edge against the Moller, Morra and Goring Gambits with best play (I don't agree on the latter two, but that's beside the point).  Similarly, it isn't a foregone conclusion that Black has an edge against the BDG- see other threads for how open to debate this is.  

Quote:
However if you take a more loose approach I might agree.

Again, a sure sign that I'm being tarred with the same brush as Gambit, Sloughter etc.   I couldn't care less about 8.0-0?! in the Euwe Defence and all the rest of it.  I do, sometimes, delve into these threads when people are contributing analysis on the BDG, because along with many other openings, it's a line I take an interest in.  And on occasion I've found resources for Black- e.g. 1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 c6 5.Bc4 exf3 6.Nxf3 Bf5 7.Bg5 e6 8.Qe2 Bb4! (an improvement on 8...Be7, which works nicely for White), where White might not have enough for the pawn.  Is this the trademark of a BDG worshipper?  And I probably play the BDG in, at most, 10% of my games with White- is that the sign of a fanatic?

If I'm uptight about anything, it's being tarred with the same brush as people whose attitude to chess is a lot different to mine.  And my defensiveness of my right to a relatively moderate view, without being tarred with the same brush as those with an extreme view, is clearly being mis-interpreted as defensiveness of the BDG.

IP Logged

drkodos
God Member

I see....stars.

Reply #48 - 02/24/09 at 13:32:59
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 02/24/09 at 02:25:53:
If we are to believe Einstein and a few others we actually live in a Non-Euclidian reality. So I expect you to take up the BDG as White tomorrow.  Roll Eyes

I do not believe Einstein is wholly correct and I have recently been playing the BDG until I fell up and out of the wormhole. 

I had to try it for myself again after dabbling in it 15 years ago.  I thought maybe something had changed and I can see that is has in that white is worse off than he was in the early 90's.

Now, I have to get back to playing with my strings.

I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission.

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #47 - 02/24/09 at 10:43:06
Post Tools
SWJediknight wrote on 02/23/09 at 22:25:01:
My question is- since theory similarly frowns upon the likes of the King's Gambit, Belgrade, Smith-Morra, Danish, Goring, Vienna, Ponziani, Centre Game and what have you, why aren't those lines treated with a similar level of contempt?  Yes they are frowned upon by the GMs, but when we get threads about them, they usually consist of serious analysis and discussion of their objective and practical merits.

Because most of them are sound, at the worst white gets an equal game. Well maybe not the centre game, which I find even worse than the BDG.
Note that I dont scorn the opening or anything, I just rate it very low.
Quote:
 Meanwhile we've had similar threads on the likes of the Latvian and Elephant gambits, which are far less sound even than the BDG.

Elephant yes, Latvian I am not so sure. What they lack are ardent supporters who are as fanatical as some are about the BDG. The minute someone starts doing that you will get the same as illustrated in the thread about the refutation of the TKD.
Quote:
Why is it okay to take all of those openings seriously but not the BDG?  Again I note the references to Lev Zilbermints and his gambit ideas.  Not all those who play the BDG are as obsessive about it as him.  If Zilbermints started playing the Danish and "patented" a sideline in it, would we suddenly reject the Danish out of hand?

There are reasons I dont take the BDG seriously:
-I never meet it. The few times I did (in blitz) I had an easy win.
-I am a clear pawn up and in return I have a slight problem with an open f-file, nothing to scare off someone who plays CK or French like I do.
Quote:
And the argument that weaker players shouldn't play a weaker opening- well, many coaches recommend the likes of the King's Gambit, Scotch Four Knights Game, Goring Gambit, and even the Moller Attack (which is at least as unsound as the BDG) to juniors.  What top flight player uses any of those openings?   All of those openings are objectively inferior to the Ruy Lopez, so should these juniors all play the Lopez from the beginning to aspire to the higher level?

The difference is that at worst they are equal. Furthermore with the Italian or 4 knights you develop sensibly, dont screw up your kingside even before you castled and you dont put pressure on yourself to sustain an initiative which isnt there. Lastly most of these openings teach a lot about open games, so you get familiar themes which you can then use for expanding. Ie with youngsters (say in the 1500-1600 range) focusing on f7 in the opening gives you much material later when you want to do more advanced combinations and attacks.
Quote:
My point is not that the BDG is objectively good (it isn't).  It is that it should be treated with the same respect as other openings of similar calibre, and it isn't.  We've had some decent threads where people have done good analysis on the objective merits of the BDG- say, the 4...c6!? line for example.  And if you don't think that such openings deserve threads that analyse them seriously, then you don't have to take part in the analysis- analyse more critical lines if you want.  But you seem to keep coming into these threads and telling us, "don't analyse the BDG seriously, because it's rubbish".

Whence I usually keep out. I just react now, because you seem to think there is no good reason to take this attitude.
Quote:
We also have a thing called difference of opinion.  Some people, including many players far better than I will ever be, believe these gambits are a good way for people graded below 2000 to learn tactics provided they don't stick to one opening all the time.  Others do not. Perhaps a bit more tolerance of other opinions would help.

I am always tolerant, except when it may have a bad influence on others Wink
The thing is that I think it is a waste of time if you want to improve. There are other gambits one could play, but more importantly I think it is unwise to spend much time on openings in this case and in particular if you have to do repair work each time. Time that is better spent on other things. In particular as the literature on it is usually rubbish. A thing I hope this book will remedy.

This whole debate reminds me of something Yermolinsky wrote about a player he knew who played these kinds of gambits. He would sac a pawn then spend loads of time in justifying the pawn sacrifice by maintaining his non-existent initiative, then sac a piece in an incorrect combination and lose.

However if you take a more loose approach I might agree. By this I mean look at the basics and some lines and  then just play it, without spending too much on theory before and after. As I think the BDG does have one important merit. It is about attacking the king and not in the usual ways you see in the 1e4e5 openings.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #46 - 02/24/09 at 02:25:53
Post Tools
drkodos wrote on 02/23/09 at 17:44:09:
And I further maintain that any opening that is good below 2000 and not good above 2000 is a most dubious opening, bordering on unsound, as defined my modern Chess Praxis, which seem to be based on the play of people that know what they are doing instead of patzers.

There are some openings good below 2000 and not good, but just equal above. As my 14-years old son has discovered 1.e4 e5 2.d4 exd4 3.c3 dxc3 4.Nxc3 is full of chances - for him, not for GM's.

drkodos wrote on 02/23/09 at 17:44:09:
The arguments proffered by BDG Alchemists are just bizarro and are true in some Non-Euclidian reality that I have never visited, but they do not seem to apply to the world in which I am currently spending most of time......

If we are to believe Einstein and a few others we actually live in a Non-Euclidian reality. So I expect you to take up the BDG as White tomorrow.  Roll Eyes

SWJediknight wrote on 02/23/09 at 19:29:16:
Even wholly sound gambits, e.g. the Evans, or the Two Knights' Defence for Black with 4.Ng5 d5 5.exd5 Na5, score better for the gambiteer at lower levels than at higher levels.

This is not the case for the King's Gambit. What do you conclude from this?

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Uruk

Reply #45 - 02/24/09 at 00:10:25
Post Tools
At least in the KG, Black has to go into fairly irrational territory to prove something.

Here he gets a sound Caro structure.

IP Logged

drkodos
God Member

I see....stars.

Reply #44 - 02/24/09 at 00:01:21
Post Tools
SWJediKnight:  have you seen my postings on the King's Gambit?  Grin

Please play it against me and give me the easy point.  I am very comfortable from move 2 and you will have no surpirises I am not prepared to meet, and subsequently beat, thanks in large part to the awesome work of some very generous contributors to this very site..

Re: the others, I choose to not visit and pollute every forum simply because I can.  I save my passion, well, for what I actually feel passionate about, and can prove from experience and provide some form of empirical info to support my strong thoughts (opinions).

Also, the BGD is inferior to some of those you mentioned because white does not even maintain equality like one can in the Smith Moron Gamble and some of those others like the Danish, which is actually good chess and not as clear as everyone thinks.

All men may be created equal, but chess openings are like pigs from animal farm.

Some are more equal than others. Wink

I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission.

IP Logged

Uruk

Reply #43 - 02/23/09 at 23:46:09
Post Tools

Because in this BDG Black has a relatively simple route to a slight advantage,
which is certainly not true of the openings you mention, heck even the Morra.

I'm open to debate in the antidote thread though.

IP Logged

SWJediknight
God Member

Alert... opponent out
of book!

Reply #42 - 02/23/09 at 23:27:15
Post Tools
Because you don't always win by playing the objectively best moves, but rather the ones that put the most pressure on the opponent.

And still missing my point- if we dismiss the BDG by this argument, why don't we similarly dismiss a whole host of other openings that get seriously analysed in ChessPublishing despite being sub-optimal?

IP Logged

Uruk

Reply #41 - 02/23/09 at 23:21:43
Post Tools
Well you recognize it isn't objectively good.

In the endgame, you wouldn't play a bad move on purpose, would you ?

So why would you do it in the opening ?

True, more leeway for error there, but that's bad on principle.

IP Logged

SWJediknight
God Member

Alert... opponent out
of book!

Reply #40 - 02/23/09 at 22:25:01
Post Tools
My question is- since theory similarly frowns upon the likes of the King's Gambit, Belgrade, Smith-Morra, Danish, Goring, Vienna, Ponziani, Centre Game and what have you, why aren't those lines treated with a similar level of contempt?  Yes they are frowned upon by the GMs, but when we get threads about them, they usually consist of serious analysis and discussion of their objective and practical merits.  Meanwhile we've had similar threads on the likes of the Latvian and Elephant gambits, which are far less sound even than the BDG.

Why is it okay to take all of those openings seriously but not the BDG?  Again I note the references to Lev Zilbermints and his gambit ideas.  Not all those who play the BDG are as obsessive about it as him.  If Zilbermints started playing the Danish and "patented" a sideline in it, would we suddenly reject the Danish out of hand?

And the argument that weaker players shouldn't play a weaker opening- well, many coaches recommend the likes of the King's Gambit, Scotch Four Knights Game, Goring Gambit, and even the Moller Attack (which is at least as unsound as the BDG) to juniors.  What top flight player uses any of those openings?   All of those openings are objectively inferior to the Ruy Lopez, so should these juniors all play the Lopez from the beginning to aspire to the higher level?

My point is not that the BDG is objectively good (it isn't).  It is that it should be treated with the same respect as other openings of similar calibre, and it isn't.  We've had some decent threads where people have done good analysis on the objective merits of the BDG- say, the 4...c6!? line for example.  And if you don't think that such openings deserve threads that analyse them seriously, then you don't have to take part in the analysis- analyse more critical lines if you want.  But you seem to keep coming into these threads and telling us, "don't analyse the BDG seriously, because it's rubbish".

We also have a thing called difference of opinion.  Some people, including many players far better than I will ever be, believe these gambits are a good way for people graded below 2000 to learn tactics provided they don't stick to one opening all the time.  Others do not. Perhaps a bit more tolerance of other opinions would help.

IP Logged

drkodos
God Member

I see....stars.

Reply #39 - 02/23/09 at 21:25:42
Post Tools
Point by Point:

1. Getting better is easier by playing variety of systems and learning good chess.  Just because a player is weak should they play a weaker opening?  That seems to be one point that could be taken from your point #1. These players you speak about should be aspiring to the higher levels if they are here.  The best way ti be successful is to imitate success.  What top flight player uses this system?  I mean like Super GM strength. 

There are many MANY resources for players under 2000 on how to get better. This site is for opening theory and opening theory has clearly coalesced about the merits (?!) of the BDG, and I argue from that perspective.

2. Good players have many reasons for shilling certain lines.  If they are pimping trash they should be scorned even if they are Bobby Fischer or Kasparov.  In fact, even more so if it is someone of that pedigree.

3.  Economic factors could be considered.  I respect the author very much and know it will be top notch work.  I will even purchase it.  This does not mean the opening is anything other than interesting.  Is the Budapest better now that a book has been penned?  Is that your argument?

I am not scornfully dismissing anything.

I am speaking from experience and harbor no ill feelings.

From my experience, 30+ years, I have learned it is better to teach lower rated players to understand things better than it is to play crazy gambits if they wish to progress and build a foundation that will allow them to continue their personal chess evolution.  Gambits have their place in the Pantheon, no doubt.

A part.

I would not eat a plate full of Garlic.  It is a spice.

I would not build a solid chess repertoire hoping to get better by playing the BDG, the entire panoply of Zilbermint's Gambit's and The Borg.  I would, however, suggest using them as a spice, if that player likes spicey.

Of course, some students may prefer another path and to them I could suggest your coaching skills and strategy if they wish and they would prefer that path.  Some of my other colleagues may miss the referrals though.   Wink

In good nature, and well intentioned with humour, nuance and respect, I remain,

~  drkodos.

IP Logged

SWJediknight
God Member

Alert... opponent out
of book!

Reply #38 - 02/23/09 at 21:01:42
Post Tools
1.  The opening might well be insufficient for your needs at the 2400-level, but I was responding to someone who sounds like he/she is graded much lower.  In case you hadn't noticed, there are a lot of people who post regularly on here who are below 1700, let alone 2400.  Should I delude myself and pretend that these people are actually grandmasters in disguise?

2.  The opening has been suggested by much better players than I- Gary Lane has often endorsed it and on one of his Opening Lanes columns he mentioned that even John Watson has suggested it for improving players, though not against strong players.  So should they be scornfully condemned for suggesting such trash?

3.  A strong player has just written a BOOK on the opening, so surely it is worthy of discussion and not scornful dismissal.  And if not, then why don't we get the same scornful dismissal of the Ponziani, Vienna, Colle, Danish, Goring, King's Gambit, Geller Gambit, Morra, Belgrade Gambit etc, when none of those promise more than equality for White with best play either?  True, none of them are highly regarded by the top players but we don't get the same scornful dismissal when someone tries to discuss them.

And if we're dismissing it because of the BDG fanatics like Lev Zilbermints, well it's not good to lump everybody together with one brush like that.

IP Logged

drkodos
God Member

I see....stars.

Reply #37 - 02/23/09 at 20:31:24
Post Tools
Right, so before suggesting it willy-nilly on a site like this it might help to realize that the site is designed for high level play that stems from opening theory used by GM's, IM's, Masters and (possible Experts), the latter 2 of which is who I usually aim to play competitive chess against.

With this new and highly pertinent info at your disposal, would you not tend to agree that the opening is insufficient for my needs?

That is all I have ever argued. I have tried it repeatedly as White. I got crushed twice by people 100+ pts below my rating level in CC and get rolled up and laughed at (not really) otb against 2400's if I use it even in Blitz.

No doubt the IM's and FM's where I live may not be the strongest in the world, but they smack this stuff around.  I dare not truck it out when I (infrequently) play a GM.  I would prefer to try something that gives me actual chances of at least a draw as white.

Seriously.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo