Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 2017 World Cup (Read 44246 times)
ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Re: 2017 World Cup
Reply #40 - 09/14/17 at 18:54:10
Post Tools
Really? Maybe I am one of those Americans who sees racism everywhere after all.

But why does the white man always get to move first??

IP Logged

tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #39 - 09/14/17 at 18:50:34
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 09/14/17 at 16:51:53:
Another charming fact about the organization of this tournament--all players with epicanthic folds ("asian-looking faces") ranked above 35th in the world on the August and September Fide rating lists were seeded in the same half of the pairing tree, guaranteeing that the final could not feature, for example, Nakamura vs. Ding (Bu, the sole exception over 2700 in the other half, was seeded so as to meet Carlsen in round 3 if he won twice).

I am not one of those Americans who sees racism everywhere. This matter would not be worth commenting on were it not for the fact that the most valuable thing at stake here is not victory in the World Cup, but a berth in the 2018 candidates' tournament, which both finalists will receive. One of those berths looks like an all-but-reserved non-asian slot.

This is a pretty bizarre statement as the seeding is completely determined by rating. Looks pretty difficult to intentionally tweak ratings to have this specific distribution.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #38 - 09/14/17 at 16:51:53
Post Tools
Another charming fact about the organization of this tournament--all players with epicanthic folds ("asian-looking faces") ranked above 35th in the world on the August and September Fide rating lists were seeded in the same half of the pairing tree, guaranteeing that the final could not feature, for example, Nakamura vs. Ding (Bu, the sole exception over 2700 in the other half, was seeded so as to meet Carlsen in round 3 if he won twice).

I am not one of those Americans who sees  racism everywhere. This matter would not be worth commenting on were it not for the fact that the most valuable thing at stake here is not victory in the World Cup, but a berth in the 2018 candidates' tournament, which both finalists will receive. One of those berths looks like an all-but-reserved non-asian slot.

« Last Edit: 09/14/17 at 19:13:51 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #37 - 09/14/17 at 15:59:04
Post Tools
How to explain irrational behaviour? The current FIDE Dress Code specifically (Reg.5) prohibits the clothing that World Cup organizer Azmaiparashvili was wearing the day he attacked Canadian Anton Kovalyov for not respecting the same Code. Even though Kovalyov’s bermuda shorts are explicitly allowed by the same Code (Reg.3a).

http://www.spraggettonchess.com/psychopathy-in-tbilisi/
http://www.spraggettonchess.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Dress_Code_players.jp...
http://www.spraggettonchess.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Dress_Code_organizers...

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #36 - 09/13/17 at 18:22:42
Post Tools
Jupp53 wrote on 09/13/17 at 14:59:14:
Taking about dresscode: I like everbody treating it this way:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJiBBb8X0AIYl04.jpg

Smiley well done Chucky

Edit - and another good scalp knocking out Giri now.
« Last Edit: 09/14/17 at 09:39:28 by Keano »  

IP Logged

Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Reply #35 - 09/13/17 at 15:33:50
Post Tools
Chess pros: Why can't we be paid like professionals?
Also chess pros: We demand the right to turn up dressed like hobos!

'Am I any good at tactics?'
'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #34 - 09/13/17 at 14:59:14
Post Tools
Taking about dresscode: I like everbody treating it this way:

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #33 - 09/13/17 at 10:47:08
Post Tools
IsaVulpes wrote on 09/10/17 at 05:29:47:
This is still entirely aside from the described treatment at the hands of Zurab being unacceptable even if Kovalyov had turned up naked.

Agreed. Zurab is on his own turf, playing the authoritarian dictator, head of his own appeals committee, abusing his people at will for his pleasure.

On a lighter note, naked tournaments would considerably simplify the dress code.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #32 - 09/11/17 at 18:52:25
Post Tools
Interesting game by Bu to beat Carlsen a few days ago; I'm constantly surprised at the number of early (before move 10) new ideas and nuances have been cropping up in the Open Games over the past five years or so.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #31 - 09/10/17 at 18:38:51
Post Tools
Carlsen, Naka, Kramnik all going home today.

Nice game by Ivanchuk as Black.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #30 - 09/10/17 at 12:51:52
Post Tools
As ever, alas, one wishes the ACP had someone considerably more thoughtful and literate to write for them.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #29 - 09/10/17 at 12:11:20
Post Tools

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Reply #28 - 09/10/17 at 05:29:47
Post Tools
TN wrote on 09/09/17 at 21:59:44:
Keano wrote on 09/09/17 at 18:02:02:
Not surprised. Zurab Azmai has a history of this.

Dont blame the lad to go home to his studies.

Good on you for sticking up for Kovalyov. You wouldn't believe the vitriol directed at him in the comments to the ChessBase story - ironic considering a paid account is needed to post on the articles there...

Really surprising to me that anyone at all would direct anything beyond "yeah, shorts are kinda unprofessional" at Kovalyov. More than obvious with whom lays the blame.. Azmaiparashvili even openly admits that he said gypsy.

TopNotch wrote on 09/09/17 at 23:30:28:
Showing up in striped Bermuda Short Pants in such an event seems absurd to me and the excuse given just as ridiculous.

How about this for an excuse: He specifically asked the organizers of a past WC whether shorts would be legal, and was given the go-ahead. Nothing indicated that anything had changed.

In General, the rules are incredibly nebulous and dont explain anything - plus it's by no means the first instance of 'unprofessional' clothing at the elite level and theres never been a comment about it; eg Caruana wore a meme-tshirt at the Sinquefield Cup & Nepo is known to walk around in DotA-shirts & -sweaters - is that less "offending"?

Wesley So was scribbling notes on his notation sheet, which is expressedly forbidden and may very well get into the realms of cheating, yet it took multiple warnings with repeat offences for there to be any action at all (which then happened to be the forfeiture of the game, but even that decision was disputed by many).
If you are against your players wearing shorts (then write that into the rules.. But ok, lets ignore that part), go to him and say "hey, we'd prefer you not to wear this, please come with trousers tomorrow, consider this a warning, thank you" - dont send the player back to his room right before the game.

This is still entirely aside from the described treatment at the hands of Zurab being unacceptable even if Kovalyov had turned up naked.

E: The one /possible/ counterpoint to the Kovalyov-case I found was that he actually wanted to leave the tournament from the get-go (whyever) and tried to provoke/fake some Kind of 'Scandal', which he might be able to use as an excuse (which would also be why he complained about the "wrong" colour).
I suppose its possible to believe that (I certainly dont, although I will admit it's mighty strange for a player of his level not to know his colour), but it wouldn't even change anything about the dresscode rules being unclear & the alleged behaviour of the TD (who also happens to be chief of the appeals commitee?! Who got that idea), so it feels like a bit of a moot point to me
« Last Edit: 09/10/17 at 11:37:05 by IsaVulpes »  

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Reply #27 - 09/10/17 at 05:03:06
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 09/09/17 at 23:46:23:
You have no idea what your'e talking about, Yarolsav is in the position right now that if he leaves the United States, chances are he would lose his green card status and not be let back in, and thanks largely to Trump he would have to start the citizenship process all over again from scratch.

And he learned about this when? One day prior to the tournament? Did he get the idea to apply for a green card last week? Was Trump elected on Monday?

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #26 - 09/10/17 at 01:10:07
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 09/09/17 at 23:30:28:
Showing up in striped Bermuda Short Pants in such an event seems absurd to me and the excuse given just as ridiculous. These young guys do some weird things and then seem shocked when things go awry. Not condoning what Zurab's behavior or that of the arbiter allegedly was, but showing up for World Cup games in those kind of pants is the equivalent of thumbing your nose at the opponent and the organizers.   

These guys need some training in etiquette and what's acceptable, 'I put on some weight and don't have pants that fit' is just not going to cut it sorry. I like Anton's chess, but after getting away with this dress code fiasco in a previous round, he should have been advised of potential forfeit if repeated.

But in fact he wasn't told he was doing anything wrong during previous rounds. He wasn't advised there was any problem until five minutes before this 3rd round game, when it would be too late to go and buy long trousers. Then Azmaiparashvili came along and yelled at him, just to make 100% sure his concetration was ruined.

And all this for something that isn't even violating any rule - the only dress code people around the internet are managing to dig up explicitly allows bermuda shorts!

You could argue that FIDE and/or a top tournament like this should have a dress code that bans any kind of shorts (and I would agree for the top tournaments), but it seems that in fact they don't. And the way to get a new code adopted is not to suddenly, randomly apply it to one player just before an important game.

The blame for this mess falls squarely on the organizers, not the player.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo