Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Modern Chess opening databases (Read 7709 times)
fjd
God Member

Re: Modern Chess opening databases
Reply #12 - 06/03/18 at 05:20:14
Post Tools
Does anyone have the Yates/Anti-Marshall DB? If so, what did you think of it?

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #11 - 04/16/18 at 17:16:19
Post Tools
Wrong place for this of course, but while we're on topic - Chatalbashev cites his own game with 11...Nfd7 12.Qd1 f5 as not giving either side much in the way of winning chances. Moving the f-knight to d7 has it's pros, but one major con is that White can at least try 12.Qg3!? instead of Qd1.

In any case I think Black needs to play super carefully and probably find some kind of idea in this exd5 style position. Black is always going ...f5 and White meets it with f4, but intuition tells me that long run White can lop off all the heavies along the e-file, play g4, and enjoy a really long squeeze with the two bishops to boot.

I am not sure that there's anything for Black to hope for other than to survive a long struggle after, let's say 11...Nbd7 12.Qd1 Ne8!? (for instance) 13.Bd2 f5 14.f4, etc.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #10 - 04/06/18 at 17:07:38
Post Tools
Re Chatalbashev, Nf3+Bd3 without h3 is certainly a line I would be interested in with such a product (I've expressed curiosity as to whether it is addressed in Reloaded Weapons in the Benoni), and one which has been given as leading to +=.  The 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 c5 3. d5 g6 4. Nc3 Bg7 5. e4 O-O 6. Bd3 d6 7. Nf3 e6 8. O-O exd5 9. exd5 Bg4 10. h3 Bxf3 11. Qxf3 Nbd7* 12. Qd1 Nh5 of Dautov-Evdokimov 2005 was portrayed as a good novelty at the time (and has since been played by Morozevich), but didn't look particularly appealing to me.

*a bit more history:  in the 1970s ECO (Euwe) gave 11...Nfd7 12. Qd1 Na6 as leading to equality citing Dzindzichashvili-Tal; in the 1990s 13. Bd2 (instead of Dzindzi's 13. Bf4) was given as += according to Hübner.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #9 - 04/06/18 at 15:42:31
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 04/05/18 at 21:37:26:
Often these non native English Speakers are atrocious, but GM Davorin Kuljasevic was a pleasant surprise, his work is excellent and very professional. Regarding GM Chatalbashev on the delayed Benoni, I actually enjoyed it quite a lot, he reveals many move-order nuances/differences between the Late Benoni and Modern Benoni proper and I truly believe that if one truly grasps the material this could be a terrific point scorer at club and tournament level. Granted Chatalbashev may not be as organised as some of the other authors, but the quality of the actual material presented more than makes up for it.

I quite liked the Chatalbashev material as well, as he's an expert in those systems and seems to really understand and enjoy them. However I found some problems I couldn't solve in the main line with Bd3, h3. Some Bg5 stuff at a time when he never covered it - I'll consult my notes when I get home.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #8 - 04/06/18 at 10:34:24
Post Tools
I'm generally happy with what I've bought from Modern Chess. The updates to some of the databases are a nice extra service. Though it's slightly annoying that the updates are typically web-only and not added to the pgn downloads. You would have to save the updates manually to have them available offline.

TopNotch wrote on 04/05/18 at 21:37:26:
Regarding GM Chatalbashev on the delayed Benoni, I actually enjoyed it quite a lot, he reveals many move-order nuances/differences between the Late Benoni and Modern Benoni proper and I truly believe that if one truly grasps the material this could be a terrific point scorer at club and tournament level. Granted Chatalbashev may not be as organised as some of the other authors, but the quality of the actual material presented more than makes up for it.

I picked up this one as a useful surprise weapon. Lots of good material, but one big problem is coverage of one of the most critical lines, where White plays Bd3 and allows ...Bg4, is inexplicably brief.

Chatalbashev comments: "If White decides not to spend time on h2-h3, then the resulting positions are rather dry, both sides do not have big chances for a win..." But anyone who looks at a database and at Rios' excellent annotations to Spassky-Fischer, Sveti Stefan/Belgrade m (26) 1992 in his book Chess Structures will realize that's an understatement of how dangerous this line is for Black. I must admit I wonder if Chatalbashev is intentionally downplaying that...

In fairness, the line Chatalbashev actually gives (though too briefly) is probably better than what Fischer played.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #7 - 04/05/18 at 21:37:26
Post Tools
Straggler wrote on 04/05/18 at 08:44:39:
I have picked up quite a few of these. At first I was disappointed to find that the "database" consists of only a few densely-annotated games; but in terms of quantity that's actually comparable to, for example, many of the Everyman ebooks.

In view of the authors' reputations I'm willing to assume that the content is good. Of the not-so-well-known authors, I particularly like GM Davorin Kuljasevic: his explanations are very clear. The only one I wouldn't recommend is the one by GM Chatalbashev on the delayed Benoni, which I found too disorganised to use as the basis of a repertoire.

The written English is sometimes a bit quaint, but it's usually clear what the author means. Sometimes the cross-references between different lines go awry, but again you can usually work out what's meant.

There is often a limited-time discount of 25% or more; and that includes the bundles, which are already discounted.

Often these non native English Speakers are atrocious, but GM Davorin Kuljasevic was a pleasant surprise, his work is excellent and very professional. Regarding GM Chatalbashev on the delayed Benoni, I actually enjoyed it quite a lot, he reveals many move-order nuances/differences between the Late Benoni and Modern Benoni proper and I truly believe that if one truly grasps the material this could be a terrific point scorer at club and tournament level. Granted Chatalbashev may not be as organised as some of the other authors, but the quality of the actual material presented more than makes up for it.

IM Castellanos' Tarrasch vs the French Rep was a mixed bag for me. Well laid out and organised, only problem is that one of the key lines is just harmless for Black. The curious thing is he later updated the database, replacing the toothless line with an equally toothless line based on Jones - Adhiban 2018, don't remember the tourney, and I'm unable to look it up at the moment.

That's all for now, bye.

Tops Smiley   
« Last Edit: 04/06/18 at 15:56:32 by TopNotch »  

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #6 - 04/05/18 at 15:48:05
Post Tools
proustiskeen wrote on 04/05/18 at 15:00:28:
Boris Avrukh has posted that you can use a promo code "Avrukh" to get 25% off their products. Don't know if it's still active, but thought I'd mention it.

Thanks for that tip, I'll give it a go!

IP Logged

proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #5 - 04/05/18 at 15:00:28
Post Tools
Boris Avrukh has posted that you can use a promo code "Avrukh" to get 25% off their products. Don't know if it's still active, but thought I'd mention it.

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #4 - 04/05/18 at 11:08:40
Post Tools
Thanks for the replies, everyone, they're very helpful. It's Marin's works that piqued my interest and my main concern was precisely the one pinpointed by Straggler, that all I'd be getting for my money would be a smallish collection of annotated games, comparing very poorly with, for example, ChessPub in terms of value for money. The analogy with Everyman ebooks is a good one, which gives a useful perspective on this. I think I'll give one of these Modern Chess databases a try. Marin's insights are always valuable, so I'll start there.

Thanks again for your input, mn, tipau and Straggler.

IP Logged

Straggler

Reply #3 - 04/05/18 at 08:44:39
Post Tools
I have picked up quite a few of these. At first I was disappointed to find that the "database" consists of only a few densely-annotated games; but in terms of quantity that's actually comparable to, for example, many of the Everyman ebooks.

In view of the authors' reputations I'm willing to assume that the content is good. Of the not-so-well-known authors, I particularly like GM Davorin Kuljasevic: his explanations are very clear. The only one I wouldn't recommend is the one by GM Chatalbashev on the delayed Benoni, which I found too disorganised to use as the basis of a repertoire.

The written English is sometimes a bit quaint, but it's usually clear what the author means. Sometimes the cross-references between different lines go awry, but again you can usually work out what's meant.

There is often a limited-time discount of 25% or more; and that includes the bundles, which are already discounted.

IP Logged

tipau

I Like ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 04/05/18 at 07:25:39
Post Tools
When I signed up to the website I received one of the opening databases for free (Position Grunfeld Part 1). I also own the Catalan Part 1 opening database. I can't comment on the Grunfeld database but I've looked through the Catalan lines and they go into a fair bit of detail, with a lot of good verbal explanations as you'd expect from Marin. The English grammar isn't perfect but I didn't find any bits I couldn't understand.

FIDE: ~2100

IP Logged

fjd
God Member

Reply #1 - 04/05/18 at 00:25:33
Post Tools
They're downloadable as PGNs, yeah. Also, I haven't bought any of them myself, but I find it hard to believe (e.g) Marin or Avrukh would produce something of low quality.

IP Logged

Seeley

Modern Chess opening databases
04/04/18 at 23:15:31
Post Tools
I've been looking through the Modern Chess website and there's some interesting stuff on there. I'm particularly interested in their opening databases. The ones I've looked at are priced at 19.90 euros each, which is approximately the price of a printed book, but what isn't clear from the samples on the website is how much material you're getting for your money. I presume what you buy is downloadable and doesn't have to be accessed via the website. Does anybody who has bought any of these have any observations that might help me, please? Is the material you've seen well done, and is it good value for money? Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo