Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ENGLISH DEFENCE (Read 44690 times)
basqueknight
Ex Member

Re: ENGLISH DEFENCE
Reply #13 - 11/08/05 at 12:15:23
Post Tools
River Horse sounds a lot more aggresive than the hippo is! But it also doesnt sound Silly. So maybe ill call it the modern, Riverhorse variation.

Perhaps i could write an article called Rise of the Riverhorse for NIC...ok maybe not but they should print one with such an neat title.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #12 - 11/08/05 at 02:42:00
Post Tools
BK,

Just translate hippo from the Greek, and you may like it more:  hippo=horse potamus=river ("River horse", a favorite of Poseidon). 

If you don't like that, just think how those hippo balerinas  danced in Fantasia!  If you can make your horseys dance like that, what difference does the name of the opening make? Grin

IP Logged

basqueknight
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/01/05 at 23:03:56
Post Tools
Well my curiosity gave in and i watched a lecture on USChesslive. It was rather interesting and i might give it a try. the worst that could happen is i could transpose into a french or owens. o my gosh thats horifying  Wink

Very flexible and i can play a hippo if it comes down to it! Gotta admit i have some love for the hippo even it it sounds silly.

Dont like any other animal openings though!

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #10 - 10/09/05 at 13:33:45
Post Tools
BK,

Take a look at GM Flear's move order.  The critical difference between the two is that Black gets to play a pawn structure that is more similar to the Leningrad Dutch because he plays ...f5 before he develops his Ng8.  This system has an excellent pedigree and even Mikhail Tal played around with similar ideas. 

I wish Black would just transpose to the QID, cos that way I wouldn't have to spend any extra time on the complexities of move-order traps.

IP Logged

basqueknight
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/08/05 at 18:49:51
Post Tools
Back when i was a queens indian player i remember facing g3 often! So i think that if you want to play g3 it might be possible ot transpose into a g3 queens indian. Dont know if thats the type of position you are aiming for though

IP Logged

Edward_Dearing

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #8 - 07/26/05 at 13:09:35
Post Tools
Hey guys,

I am also a big fan of the English Defence, however I wouldn't worry too much about 1...b6 preventing English lines with 2.g3. I have had a few games with 2.Nc3 Bb7 3.Nf3 e6 4.g3. Black can head into a hedgehog, of course, however most English defence fans prefer 4...Bxf3!? 5.exf3 c5, which I am pretty sure is better for White - see Dearing-Bigg and Dearing-Ward (both of which were clearly better for White, and neither of which I actually managed to win!).

As for the Hedgehog...well, I rather like facing that too, but I'll save my thoughts on that for another day.

Hope this helps,

Ed

IP Logged

Klick
God Member

Reply #7 - 07/26/05 at 03:44:29
Post Tools
Nice to hear what a player experienced in these lines have to say! Thank you!

In white`s aggressive line with Bd3 and exf5 I am not too happy though, because black will probably know this by heart and my question is: Is there really is such an edge to find? Looking at the games in the Daring-defence section (for instance Shirov-Suttercane)  I noticed the annotators comment that black often wins. The play seems forced and I don`t like to go into such lines which my opponent probably have prepared at home, unless I can get a decent advantage. Looking at the games in the Daring-section one could think that black either wins when white does a mistake or gets a forced draw. Please comment on this if I am wrong!  Wink

I`ll have a closer at the Nc3 and f3 lines, since you say it is the reason you gave up on the english Smiley  Thanks for the advice!

There just isn't enough televised chess - DAVID LETTERMAN

IP Logged

bob000

Reply #6 - 07/24/05 at 10:33:01
Post Tools
I used to play the English but I gave it up because of f3 lines which promised White an easy edge.

If you face the move order 1.c4 b6 2.d4 e6 play 3.e4 Bb7 4.Bd3 where f5 5.xf5 Bxg2 6.Qh5+ leads to wild tactics which are better for white. Just don't grab the g8 knight at the first opportunity, don't prematurely develop the Bc1 and focus on rapid development with an overwhelming attack. I've done quite well against Suttercane with this. After other 4th moves just consolidate the center.

If you don't feel like tactics the reason I gave up the  English Deense is the following line 1.c4 b6 2.d4 e6 3.e4 Bc3 4.Bb4 f3 where if white plays accurately he gains an easy advantage against both f5 and Qh4+

IP Logged

Klick
God Member

Reply #5 - 07/23/05 at 11:10:33
Post Tools
Surprisingly it seems like this topic died. Surprisingly because I have had troubles finding something comfortable against the english defence and it seems to give black good chances for a lively game. I`ve tried Kosten`s recommendation of 4. Nge2, but black seems to get a fully satisfactory game and possibly even more with for instance an early d5. Is the above-mentioned variation with an early d4 white`s best try? It looks very much like a queens-indian, are there any differences?

There just isn't enough televised chess - DAVID LETTERMAN

IP Logged

honeymade
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #4 - 03/14/03 at 12:19:27
Post Tools
There is any interesting discussion of this line with exd5?! in Rowson's Seven Deadly Chess Sins book.  Maybe later I can write a post recapping his ideas.

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #3 - 03/11/03 at 08:35:23
Post Tools
Hmm ... certainly has a nice feel to it - thanks for the suggestion, I will look into it some more  8)

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

GMGlennFlear
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 03/11/03 at 04:48:15
Post Tools
A standard line is 1 c4 b6 2 d4 e6 3 a3 Bb7 4 Nc3 f5 5 d5 Nf6 and now 6 g3 where White does indeed get to fianchetto his king's bishop.
The following play is somehow easier to play for White who continues with natural development whereas Black has the problem of trying to get his two wings to communicate properly. I prefer White although Black shouldn't be underestimated.
You'll have to see my daring defences e-books for further details. There are a couple of games in the Feb update for instance

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #1 - 03/03/03 at 09:39:35
Post Tools
I see that there has not been much interest here so far, so let me be the first ...  8)

I am coming at this from a different angle - I like to play 1.c4 with White and find 1...b6 a little bit irritating as it stops me fianchettoing my king's bishop - I probably should not admit this as I know it only encourages you English Defence freaks!!

Anyway, I guess I am looking for a good way for White to play it.  I don't really think the idea of refraining from d4 promises anything, so I think I may as well get on with it and play 2.d4, then one idea I had was maybe to develop quite slowly with a3, Nc3, e3, f3, Bd3 and then either Nge2 or Nh3!?, 0-0 and only play e3-e4 when I am good and ready  Tongue

It feels a bit like a Classical Nimzo, which I have been known to play with White.  Theoretically it probably isn't threatening enough to get any meaningful advantage, but I thought it might have the potential to frustrate Black players who are intent on hitting the centre with ...Bb4 ...Qh4 and ...f5.

Anybody got any thoughts on this or other suggestions as to how to meet the English Defence?

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

SutterCane

I recognize terror in
chess as the finest emotion!

ENGLISH DEFENCE
01/04/03 at 23:19:21
Post Tools
I start this topic for all fans of the ENGLISH DEFENCE!

I guess we will have a lot of fun!!!

So, let's dance!

SutterCane

I recognize terror as the finest emotion in a chessgame and so I will try to terrorize my opponent. But if I find that I cannot terrify, I will try to horrify, and if I find that I cannot horrify ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo