Latest Updates:
Poll
Poll Question: Who was the WEAKEST Official World Chess Champion?
bars   pie

Steinitz    
  17 (35.4%)
Lasker    
  1 (2.1%)
Alekhine    
  1 (2.1%)
Euwe    
  21 (43.8%)
Botvinnik    
  0 (0.0%)
Smyslov    
  1 (2.1%)
Tal    
  2 (4.2%)
Petrosian    
  3 (6.2%)
Spassky    
  2 (4.2%)
Karpov    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 48
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Weakest Official World Champion (excluding FIDE KO (Read 32180 times)
TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Re: Weakest Official World Champion (excluding FID
Reply #35 - 08/03/05 at 17:47:12
Post Tools
Quote:
then perhaps Spassky can be forgiven for losing his taste for the kill.  I dunno.

Probably, even Spassky himself doesn't know. As he said himself during some analysis in the commenting room when he was in Malmö, playing the Sigeman's TM.

I used to be a lion, but now I'm a rabbit!

Certainly a pity, but I still think that when in his prime he was the first complete chess player, or first modern grandmaster.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #34 - 08/03/05 at 16:52:06
Post Tools
Taljechin,

That's a great story about Spassky and Kasparov.  I have heard something like that before, but I have no idea if it's true. 

Woofwoof, you made some very interesting comments.

Regarding Tigran Petrosian:  He was the best blitz player in the Soviet Union yes, even better than my favorite player of the time, Mikhail Tal. Petrosian grew up during WWII and saw his homeland destroyed.  He was the consummate fighter, but hated losing more than he loved winning.  He believed that the World Champion was little more than the first among equals, and treated his opponents with perhaps too much respect.  This was definitely not weakness.

Regarding Smyslov:  I hadn't heard the story about his crisis of faith, but that he was able to play such amazing chess and be (a rarity among chessplayers) a well-rounded person even after losing the championship speaks volumes for his strength of character.  In fact, any Soviet player who survived both "The Great Patriotic War" and Stalin and Khruschev and Brezhnev is not weak in my book.

Tal's illnesses are legendary, but so are his performances despite his illness.  If strength can be said to be overcoming adversity, then Tal is one of the strongest players of all time.

Lasker was a great fighter when he was at the chess board, and his match against Capablanca should never have happened.  But if you want to see how strong he was, you need look no farther than the St. Petersburg tournament when by all rights he should already have retired.

If you are looking for moral cowardice, Alekhin (whose chess remains one of my favorites) takes the title.  I don't begrudge him not facing Capablanca in a rematch (which I think he would have won).  I do hold his pro-fascist statements against him.  As a world champion chess player and a first-rate thinker, for him to claim ignorance of what the NAZIs were is sickening.

Spassky's lack of fighting spirit is an interesting topic.  He was notorious for taking important losses badly.  Early in his career, he lost a crucial game to Tal (or was it Bronstein?  I don't remember now) that he was winning and took nearly a decade to recover his form.

Petrosian, Lasker, Taimanov and Spassky all lost badly to Fischer and never fully recovered.  Perhaps it was time to pass on the generational torch, or perhaps Fischer was so powerful that he demolished his opponents' spirits.  If you believe the latter (and Taimanov's Selected Games supports that thesis), then perhaps Spassky can be forgiven for losing his taste for the kill.  I dunno. Undecided

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #33 - 08/03/05 at 11:33:37
Post Tools
Quote:
Spassky.... just wasnt the same after 1972. Psychologically & morally defeated? I know he was treated like a pariah in the USSR after his defeat to Fischer. on the decline or past his prime?? I suppose all the above  contributed to that apparent 'decline' in a big or small way. ......so hmmm where do we put him? He still remains as one of my favourites regardless.

In Spassky's case I'd guess that the financial security he secured by losing his title deprived him of his biggest motivation for fighting chess.

Btw, does anyone here know if the following story I've heard is true?

In a game between Spassky and Kasparov in Iceland(?) late 80s(?) Spassky sacs a pawn as white in a closed sicilian, and offers a draw. Garry declines.
A few moves later Spassky sacs another pawns and says: 'If you don't take the draw this time, I will crush you!'
Garry thinks about ten minutes and then accepts the draw...

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #32 - 08/03/05 at 11:13:24
Post Tools
I still feel compelled to stick up for poor old Tigran.  He drew a lot of games, but he won more than his fair share as well.  Keep in mind that he was part of that generation of Soviet players who played a lot of "grandmaster draws" with his compatriots in order to save energy for the other opponents, so the statistics might be a little misleading.  While it's true that Petrosian was more comfortable building an impenetrable position to sacrificing material for the initiative, it is telling that his approach--effectively waiting for his opponent to develop a weakness--was highly effective.  It's a sign of an extraorinarily talented player that he could play quietly while not succumbing to passivity.  I'd question whether Petrosian really played not to lose, but the bigger point is that his style was highly effective and not a sign of weakness...

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #31 - 08/03/05 at 10:35:56
Post Tools
hi HgMan.

You are right about Smyslov there. I wasnt questioning those qualities of his actually. I was refering more to his state of religious faith actually. His defeat to Botvinnik was really a faith crises in a way.

Petrosian?? hmmmm..... True, he defended his title. True his style influenced Kramnik & Karpov. But how do we account for his high nomber of draws?? Even Karpov didnt have such a high percentage of career draws. I personally think that in not trying to win or playing where avoiding defeat is the priority isnt  particularly 'positive'. (at least for me)

Spassky.... just wasnt the same after 1972. Psychologically & morally defeated? I know he was treated like a pariah in the USSR after his defeat to Fischer. on the decline or past his prime?? I suppose all the above  contributed to that apparent 'decline' in a big or small way. ......so hmmm where do we put him? He still remains as one of my favourites regardless.

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." - Murray Walker

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #30 - 08/03/05 at 09:58:08
Post Tools
Some puzzling definitions, here.  Tal and Fischer were definitely victims of poor health.  Calling Smyslov spiritually weak seems a bit, well, weak.  He remains one of the greatest practitioners of the endgame of all-time and was still playing top level chess more than thirty years after being dethroned.  For what it's worth, Karpov traditionally showed signs of weakness in the later stages of matches against Korchnoi and Kasparov--perhaps signs of physical strain or spiritual resolve (or just over-confidence)--but I would never label him a weak player or world champion.  And I'm not sure it's terribly fair to call a world champion not very positive.  Petrosian held the chess crown (and defended it!) with a style that ultimately has been successful for Karpov and Kramnik.  Prophylaxis may not be the most exciting kind of chess, but it sure as heck isn't weak.  And to say that Spassky had no fighting spirit?  Hmm...

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #29 - 08/03/05 at 09:38:17
Post Tools
i was reading this thread with interest. It suddenly occurred to me that the definition of 'weak' here is not at all well defined. Weak in what sense?? Skillswise, physical wise, easy opponents or what??  Pretty lively discussion on poor Euwe!

So here are my thoughts on "weak"

1) physically weak - that will have to be my favorite players Fischer (i know he's not on the list) & Tal Sad. Tal was plagued with ill kidneys hence wasnt really fit to play his utmost after 1960. Fischer  sort of lost his mind with all that KGB attempting to asassinate him after winning the championship. Very sad that he is even more mad now with all that anti jewish rhetoric.

2) Spiritually weak - Smyslov. he was really devastated after losing the rematch to Botvinnik cos he actually believed God was dictating moves to him.

3) weak as in not wanting to contend with the best challengers or 'cowordly'- Alekhine & Staunton. Alekhine refused a rematch with Capa. He also chose 'sub std' opponents in the form of Bogoljubov & perhaps Euwe.....ooops! Staunton avoided Morphy all the way.

4) Weak as in not playing really quality games or 'positively'- Petrosian. he drew more games than he won even with lesser opponents.

5) Weak as in no fighting spirit - Lasker & Spassky. Lasker played Capa out of formality; he already had in mind to relinquish it to Capa. Spassky after 1972 just never recovered even though he played better than in 72 but doubtful if near the quality of 1966 & 1969.

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." - Murray Walker

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #28 - 08/03/05 at 05:55:25
Post Tools
"If memory serves, and it usually doesn't, Euwe beat a drunk Alekhine the first time round and lost to a sober Alekhine in the rematch"
This is an urban chess legend, so your memory works as bad as ever.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

basqueknight
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 08/03/05 at 00:11:54
Post Tools
Stientz for lack fo flexibility

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #26 - 08/01/05 at 20:47:32
Post Tools
I dunno about yall, but describing and World Champion as 'weakest' is beginning to give me the Willies. Grin

This thread is just a bit too creepy for me, I feel like its offensive to Caissa or something.

Topscotch Grin

Postscript: If memory serves, and it usually doesn't, Euwe beat a drunk Alekhine the first time round and lost to a sober Alekhine in the rematch. So beating the best, is a somewhat relative thing methinks.

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #25 - 08/01/05 at 19:21:05
Post Tools
Quote:
Willempie,

Let's make a trade, the Dutch can have Bobby Fischer and the US can claim the legacy of Max Euwe! 8)  That way, you Dutch can have a neo-NAZI and we can have a great gentleman.  Oh of course, you would get the better chess player.  Tongue  Oops. Embarrassed

I am not sure about the better chessplayer, but I am sure about the better man.
Anyway Euwe isnt like Capa, Tal or Petrosian beating an old man, he beat the very best, just like Kramnik did with Kasparov or Kasparov with Karpov

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #24 - 08/01/05 at 18:52:30
Post Tools
Willempie,

Let's make a trade, the Dutch can have Bobby Fischer and the US can claim the legacy of Max Euwe! 8)  That way, you Dutch can have a neo-NAZI and we can have a great gentleman.  Oh of course, you would get the better chess player.  Tongue  Oops. Embarrassed

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #23 - 08/01/05 at 17:57:44
Post Tools
Quote:
Wasn't euwe Dutch?

Thanks

Topst Turvey Grin

Yeah if he was american he wouldnt even be in that list. The one american missing in this list beat someone who is not considered the absolute best, while the dutchy did Wink

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #22 - 08/01/05 at 17:07:43
Post Tools
Wasn't euwe Dutch?

Thanks

Topsy Turvey Grin
« Last Edit: 08/01/05 at 20:48:51 by TopNotch »  

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #21 - 07/31/05 at 23:54:32
Post Tools
I anxiously await the tallest chess world champions discussion and how that correlates to their relative strengths at different time controls.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo