Latest Updates:
Poll
Poll Question: Who was the WEAKEST Official World Chess Champion?
bars   pie

Steinitz    
  17 (35.4%)
Lasker    
  1 (2.1%)
Alekhine    
  1 (2.1%)
Euwe    
  21 (43.8%)
Botvinnik    
  0 (0.0%)
Smyslov    
  1 (2.1%)
Tal    
  2 (4.2%)
Petrosian    
  3 (6.2%)
Spassky    
  2 (4.2%)
Karpov    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 48
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Weakest Official World Champion (excluding FIDE KO (Read 32173 times)
TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Re: Weakest Official World Champion (excluding FID
Reply #5 - 07/25/05 at 11:24:27
Post Tools
Quote:
You SHOULD include Fischer on that list, since he's the only World Champion never to have won a single tournament or even a single game of chess. 

Yes, you're right!

And another thing, what definition of weakest is it? Compared to their contemporaries? Or compared to modern standard?

And maybe we should start with a vote on *who should* be on the list before voting? Cheesy

Lasker
Euwe
Fischer
Kramnik

are the only ones that now look obvious to me, but I'm probably the only one with that exact line up...  Undecided

Quote:
I voted Smyslov though I was thinking to vote Spassky, but he had the title 2 years longer. Tal will I think never be voted in such a competition, though he may very well be the best candidate, but his style kind of forbids it to vote him as weak.

Well, they all lost to magnificent players, and won when their titles against magnificent players, so maybe the number of years holding a title is not the best way to separate the weakest. After all, Lasker held it the longest, but avoided his strongest challengers...

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #4 - 07/25/05 at 10:47:11
Post Tools
Quote:
Voted for Euwe, as with a sober Alekhine he would probably not have become champion at all.

Though I think it's a bit unfair to exclude Kramnik, after all, he's 'defended ' his title once which is more than some of the other guys got time to.

And he's most unconvincing world champion  in modern time imo, if he was included my vote would go to him - after all, Euwe at least gave Alekhine a return match!

So get Kramnik on the list and remove Karpov and Botvinnik! Grin

I'm not so sure which part of the drunk Aljechin is true, it is a bit similar to the stories about Capa playing domino during his lost match.
I voted Smyslov though I was thinking to vote Spassky, but he had the title 2 years longer. Tal will I think never be voted in such a competition, though he may very well be the best candidate, but his style kind of forbids it to vote him as weak.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

bravehoptoad

Chess nuts boasting in
an open foyer

Reply #3 - 07/25/05 at 10:39:49
Post Tools
You SHOULD include Fischer on that list, since he's the only World Champion never to have won a single tournament or even a single game of chess. 

Interesting that so far most of the discussion has been about who to include on the voting list....

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #2 - 07/25/05 at 10:37:45
Post Tools
Voted for Euwe, as with a sober Alekhine he would probably not have become champion at all.

Though I think it's a bit unfair to exclude Kramnik, after all, he's 'defended ' his title once which is more than some of the other guys got time to.

And he's most unconvincing world champion  in modern time imo, if he was included my vote would go to him - after all, Euwe at least gave Alekhine a return match!

So get Kramnik on the list and remove Karpov and Botvinnik! Grin

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #1 - 07/25/05 at 10:29:50
Post Tools
hmmm. It seems obvious which 2 have voted so far Wink

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Weakest Official World Champion (excluding FIDE KO
07/25/05 at 10:13:38
Post Tools
Hi all!
Here's a new twist on an old question:

We all know that the World Champions are among the greatest players ever to have lived, but.....

Willempie and I were discussing who we thought were the weakest Official World Champions of all time (in terms of chess, not kick-boxing Cheesy).  We disagreed, so I thought it would be interesting to set up a poll on the subject!

There are only ten spots available on this poll, so I did not include Capablanca, Fischer or Kasparov because those three are usually listed in most of the Greatest Players ever lists.  I didn't include Vladimir Kramnik because it really is unfair to judge him this early in his tenure.   Every other World Champion is listed.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo