2.Bf4 London    
  14 (14.6%)
2.e3 Stonewall Attack    
  3 (3.1%)

Total votes: 96
« Created by: TalJechin on: 06/18/06 at 20:46:00 »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 1.d4 d5 - what's white's best alternative to a QG? (Read 52392 times)
ArKheiN
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: 1.d4 d5 - what's white's best alternative to a
Reply #64 - 10/04/06 at 15:15:58
Post Tools
Merci Eric pour tes réponses, en fait saches que je suis francophone (je viens de Suisse, mais maintenant je vis en Belgique), mais que 95% de mes messages sont en anglais ici pour me faire comprendre par tout le monde Smiley

En fait il me semble que tu parles surtout du systeme de londres contre 1.d4 d5, mais j'ai pas vu ou tu en parlais sur 1.d4 Cf6, et moi je joue 1..Cf6, mais après 2.Ff4 il m'est arrivé de vouloir jouer 2..d5 juste pour transposer dans "tes" idées, quitte à perdre un peu de flexibilité (..Cf6 n'étant pas forcément joué de suite). Mais en même temps, 1.d4 Cf6 2.Ff4 ou 2.Cf3 suivi de Ff4 permet aux noirs de jouer sans d5, avec une sorte de Reti reversée, ou juste c5, ou un setup à la grünfeld, ou est-indienne, tout semble possible et pourrait être une simple question de goût je suppose.

A la prochaine Grand Maitre Eric.

[Edit]

Après avoir bien relu ta réponse, je crois que tu as confondu avec une ligne voisine, car tu mentionne du Ca3, alors que les Blancs ont déjà joué Cbd2. Je reformule ma question ici en simple, au cas ou.

1.d4 d5 2.Ff4 Cf6 3.e3 c5 4.c3 Cc6 5.Cd2 Ff5 6.Cgf3 et maintenant, plutôt Db6 ou e6?

IP Logged

GMEricPrie

"The most simple moves
are the less complicated"

Reply #63 - 10/04/06 at 11:14:11
Post Tools
Le maître de céans de vient-il pas de nous donner sa bénédiction pour continuer en français ?! Smiley

Il faut bien sûr préférer 5...Db6 qui se voit accorder un point d'exclamation dans le livre de  Johnsen/Kovacevic avec pour suite critique :
6.Db3
(6.Dc2 Fg4! Miles-Fressinet 6...Ff5!? 7.dxc5 Fxc2 8.cxb6 axb6 9.Ca3 Txa3 10.bxa3 e6 pas clair; 6.Ca3 a6! 7.Db3 Da5 8.dxc5 e6= une autre partie de Miles)
6...c4 7.Dc2
J'ai consacré une update à 7.Dxb6 axb6 8.Ca3. Le livre explique pourquoi ils préfèrent le retrait de la Dame :
"White to some extent threatens 9.Nb5, but Black has many ways to parry that. One may suspect that 8...Rxa3 and 9...e5 are not quite correct. ( Practice suggests the contrary on 8...Rxa3) It also seems likely that White may achieve something against 8...Na7 (Knaak's choice) and 9...Ne4. However, both 8...e6 (?! I suppose the author meant 8...Bf5 9.Nh4 Bd7 10.Nf3 e6) and 8...Ra5 (my main recommendation) have proved fully satisfactory in practice play. Play often becomes complicated with White trying to create confusion in the black camp with his minor pieces. However, even if White should succeed in picking up the b6-pawn, his knight and bishop often end up in danger of being trapped or shut out of play. We therefore will not go into any detail on this."
7...Bf5(!) 8.Qc1 e6 9.Nbd2 Qd8 10.b3 b5 11.a4 a6 12.Be2 Be7
"White has not been able to prove anything here" based on Kharlov-Sadler Bern 96.

For me this is typically a dangerous equality for White, an easily obtained equality from where White can be outplayed by the opponent.
I prefer to be on that side of equality when I play the Prie for instance, or the Lemberger as Black against the BDG, for I completely agree with what you say, Arkhein, about its accepted version.

That is why the book advocates 5.Nd2 instead of 5.Nf3.
As for me, I see the radical Novelty 5.Qb3!? preventing Black's Queen's bishop to move out of the pawn chain as the only solution. Unfortunately the complications resulting from 1.d4 d5 2.Nf4 c5!? ( instead of 2...Nf6 3.e3 c5 4.c3 Nc6 5.Nd2) 3.e4! Nc6! are not much of my taste, so much to have dissuaded me from playing the London against 1...d5. But of course, if my opponent goes 2.Nf3 e6, I willingly play 3.Bf4 and not 3.a3!  

To loop the loop with that order of move, 3...c5 4.c3 Nc6 5.e3 transposing in your 5...e6 instead 5...Qb6(!) only aims at neutralizing the London bishop at the price of shuting in the queen bishop.
Then 6.Nbd2 Bd6 7.Bxd6 Qxd6, transposing into well known positions with the reversed colours, is just fine for White because it shall not be so easy for Black to liberate his play with a further e6-e5. Either after 8.Bb5 or 8.a3 ( exactly Bacrot-Svildler Linares 2006 with the reversed colour and an extra-tempo for White) intending b2-b4 or a combination of both; to finish on an ironical touch about the most innocent movement of the White's a-pawn Smiley    

IP Logged

Uberdecker
God Member

Reply #62 - 10/04/06 at 07:05:23
Post Tools
And just as I was being so conciliatory... If I may be so bold ,I suggest you read the posts in this thread, Scholar, and then decide who, in this particular instance, was insulting and who was insulted. I had asked the GM a question relating to nothing but chess and until his last post I had received nothing but off-topic abuse in reply.
I accept your definition of myself as "mullish" (although Eric's etymological source was probably "mule") and have nothing to retort.
Still outraged by my behavior??

Regards,
                                                        UD

IP Logged

Scholar
God Member

Reply #61 - 10/04/06 at 05:02:45
Post Tools
[quote author=Uberdeker link=1150663394/45#59 date=1159911168]
P.S. I'd be grateful if you would share the meaning of your term "mullish"[/quote]

I assume that he's invented an adjective based on the intransitive verb "to mull" as in, say, mulled wine.  The word was originally used to describe wine that had gone bad and then was revived in order to be made drinkable by adding spices and sugar and then serving heated.  I imagine that some contributors imagine that you have soured and consequently become over-spiced and heated in an effort to compensate...

Seriously, Uberdeker, I would prefer if you would refrain from endless gratuitous attacks.  Actually, I'd prefer you didn't insult other forum members altogether, but if you must, at least clothe your [i]ad hominems[/i] with some chess.  Otherwise, it grows tiresome for the rest of us.

As for me, I shall now fade away...if you really feel the need to respond to this post, please start a new thread in the [b]Chit Chat[/b] section entitled "Flame Wars Involving Uberdeker."

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #60 - 10/03/06 at 23:09:45
Post Tools
Interesting to see English used occasionally on this thread, and some discussion of chess openings, too! Smiley

IP Logged

Uberdecker
God Member

Reply #59 - 10/03/06 at 21:32:48
Post Tools
Dear Eric,

I was looking forward to another demented lecture on "Prié chess" written in the Prié-language.
  Instead, I must commend you on your newly-found honesty. Not only that, but your prose has almost become intelligeable! I completely agree with everything you wrote in your last post. I am a bit perplexed that it took you so long to admit these things, but better late than never...
Thank you for "putting me in my place".

Regards,
                                                                UD

P.S. I'd be grateful if you would share the meaning of your term "mullish"

IP Logged

GMEricPrie

"The most simple moves
are the less complicated"

Reply #58 - 10/03/06 at 18:26:57
Post Tools
Thanks!

Both 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.a3 c6 4.Bf4 intending 4...Bf5 (4...Qb6?! 5.Qc1) 5.e3 e6 6.c4
and 1.d4 e6 2.a3 Nf6 3.Nf3 ( 3.c4 is playable but I prefer to play 3.Nf3 Now imagine you are Black and somebody plays 1.Nf3 d5 2.e3 against you casually replying 2...Nf6 wouldn't you smile ? Like the way I do at our mullish friend ?  Smiley  3...b6 4.Bg5 fully comply with my views.

As well as 3...c5 4.c3 b6 5.Bg5 although I tend to privilege the London approach with Bf4 these days like 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.a3 e6 4.Bf4.
Black equalizes because of the tempo lost ?! It is not clear because I almost always play a3 later in the Nimzo London 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 e6 3.Bf4 to avoid the manoeuvre Nf6-d5-b4 with my bishop on d3.
May it be so, no problem I am fond of that equality and I know can grind out an edge from there !

Contrarily to part one selected as a free sampler of NIC 78, you have to get the book NIC 79 to access part 2 dealing with 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.a3 c6...

Such millstones round your neck like our dear contradictor pullulates on Chess forums and that is why GMs show reluctance to attend these places.
They give you "regards" "respect" but because they are educated they just want to pit themselves against you, as a symbol of mind quintessence, to make them shine. Since they obviously cannot cope on the ground of chess, they try to shift the battlefield to other areas like language in our case.
I have a gift to spot those hypocrits...on the spot and put them in their place without further ado.
I also have to confess I virtually love to fight  Smiley  

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

Reply #57 - 10/03/06 at 16:55:57
Post Tools
Eric Prié je profite de te poser une question ici, légèrement hors sujet mais dont tu as déjà parlé dans ce topic. Dans un de tes articles sur le système de Londres, tu proposes 1.d4 d5 2.Ff4 Cf6 3.e3 c5 4.c3 Cc6 5.Cd2 Ff5, et la tu dis:

"and on 6.Qb3 Qd7 which "might be the toughest nut to crack" according to the book, and which should therefore have been worth more than a quarter of a page of sometimes curious analysis."

ou ceci sur ce topic:

"I now play the London 3.Bf4 on the KID 2...g6 and the Nimzo 2...e6 and I am very happy with it.
I would like to play it on 1.d4 d5 as well but it is alas impossible : 
2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Bf4 c5! 4.e3 Nc6 5.c3 Qb6 6.Qb3 c4 7.Qc2 Bf5!
or 2.Bf4 Nf6 3.e3 c5! 4.c3 Nc6 5.Nd2 Bf5 6.Qb3 Qd7! 7.Nf3 c4 and so on"

Mais 6.Cgf3 est une alternative courante et logique, et la je me demande quel est le plus précis pour les Noirs: 6..Db6!? ou 6..e6? Comment comparerais-tu ces 2 alternatives et lequel tu préconiserais pour les Noirs? Merci pour ta future réponse.

IP Logged

Uberdecker
God Member

Reply #56 - 10/03/06 at 15:34:22
Post Tools
It is usually best to let maniacal ravings go unanswered, but since our GM friend has insisted in an other thread on being confronted once again with his own incoherence, here are just a couple of points :

[quote author=GMEricPrie link=1150663394/15#23 date=1151054478]In the structure d4-d5, if you find me a way to play a London or Torre when Black's queen bishop is alive ie when Black has not played the suiting my purpose e7-e6 in his first two moves, I shamelessly drop the Prié on the spot![/quote]

If we transcribe this into proper English, we can assume that Eric plays 1. d4 d5 ; 2. a3 and 1. d4 e6 ; 2. a3 in the hope of reaching positions akin to the following Torre line : 1. d4 Ktf6 ; 2. Ktf3 e6 ; 3. Bg5 d5 and he is willing to sacrifice a tempo to this end.
But 1. d4 d5 ; 2. a3 Ktf6 ; 3. Ktf3 c6 and 1. d4 e6 ; 2. a3 Ktf6 (or 2. ...c5 ; 3. c3 Ktf6 ; 4. Ktf3 b6) ; 3. Ktf3 b6 do not comply to Eric's wishes either.
Only the lines 1. d4 d5 ; 2. Ktf3 Ktf6 ; 3. Bg5 Kte4 ; 4. Bf4 c5 ; 5. c3 Qb6 and 1. d4 Ktf6 ; 2. Ktf3 e6 ; 3. Bg5 c5 ; 4. c3 Qb6 are avoided. Is this worth the tempo sac? A subjective question OTB, I suppose, but not very relevant in a theoretical sense. White plays theory a tempo down. Hardly the "inauguration of a new concept of the opening" as the exponent has so pompously claimed.

[quote author=GMEricPrie link=1150663394/30#33 date=1151332291]
1.d4 e6 2.a3 Nf6 3.c4 is OK for White.[/quote]

After 3. ...c5 ; 4. Ktf3 cd ; 5. Ktxd4 in addition to transposing to the 5. c4 Kan sideline I mentionned in reply #28, Black can implement the pawn-grab theme with 5. ...Ktc6 ; 6. Ktc3 Qc7 ; 7. e4 Ktxe4. This is analogous to a sideline of the "Accelerated Paulsen" [1. e4 c5 ; 2. Ktf3 Ktc6 ; 3. d4 cd ; 4. Ktxd4 Qc7 5. c4 (4. ...Ktdb5 is a much better path to the Maroczy) ; 5. ...Ktxe4] with a3 and ..e6 thrown in. The difference favours Black of course.

IP Logged

bckm

Start the day with a smile
and get it over with...

Reply #55 - 08/24/06 at 19:06:44
Post Tools
For Black, the best is for White to play 2.e4!? and Black to play 2...e6... Cheesy

For White, the best is 2.d4-d2 and 3.e2-e4.   Sure, White will have lost a couple of moves, but it's just the opening...

<BIG cheesy grin>

IP Logged

Jerry_Taylor
YaBB Newbies

Reply #54 - 08/16/06 at 23:35:57
Post Tools
All these Grandmasters reach the Colle-Zukertort by transposition from the move order 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 e6 3.e3 (My opponent shuts in his queen bishop so I can do the same) 3...d5.

Aha!  That makes sense.  Which explains why - as I just discovered a moment ago - Richard Palliser advocates exactly that treatment of the Slav in his book "Play 1d4!"

Thanks for the explanation GM Prei.  NOw, where can I find a discussion of your famous "Prei Variation" here on the site?  I'm a subscriber, so just point me in the right direction .....

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #53 - 08/14/06 at 13:09:19
Post Tools
Viceroy wrote on 08/11/06 at 14:07:15:
"Veni, vidi, vici" is properly pronounced not "vainy, veedy, veechy" as by the bishops, but "wainy, weedy, weeky" as Caesar would actually have said it.

How can you possibly know that? Is there any proof that the letter v was pronounced [w] in Roman times?

Sorry, really, really off topic I know.

Smyslov, I could post in Chinese but words like Sveshnikov and Kalashnikov are a real pain to translate Roll Eyes

A lot of writing has survived from classical times and some of it has to do with the pronunciation, and mis-pronunciation, of words.  The following is quoted from askOxford.com:

"Well, pronunciation and history come together in a story told by Cicero which demonstrates that Latin v was pronounced like u in the first century BC. When the Roman politician and general Crassus was setting out on the ill-fated expedition against the Parthians in which he and his army were to be annihilated at Carrhae (53 BC), a seller of Caunean figs was crying out 'Cauneas!' Cicero observes that it would have been a good thing for Crassus if he had heeded the omen, i.e. 'Cave ne eas!' (= beware of going). This story makes no sense unless we presume that the v of cave was similar in sound to the u of Cauneas."

See also this source, which is very ample on this subject:

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext05/8rlat10.txt

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Viceroy

Reply #52 - 08/11/06 at 14:07:15
Post Tools
"Veni, vidi, vici" is properly pronounced not "vainy, veedy, veechy" as by the bishops, but "wainy, weedy, weeky" as Caesar would actually have said it.

How can you possibly know that? Is there any proof that the letter v was pronounced [w] in Roman times?

Sorry, really, really off topic I know.

Smyslov, I could post in Chinese but words like Sveshnikov and Kalashnikov are a real pain to translate Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: 08/11/06 at 15:19:35 by Viceroy »  

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #51 - 08/11/06 at 11:58:11
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 08/10/06 at 13:49:28:
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 06/26/06 at 05:01:14:
Personally, I would love to see posts in languages other than English, at least occasionally.

Idem in me, amice in ludo scaccorum!  Sed optimum in hoc sito sit semper latine loqui, quod haec est lingua proxissima universalis, atque quod nemo nativam hanc linguam habet.   

Igitur latine dico: miror quod plurimi suffragii pro ratione 'Veressov' lati fuerunt.  Illam rationem pro impotente habeo, et opinor, negri post 3...c5 praestant.      

"The same goes for me, chessfriend.  But it might be best always to speak Latin on this site, since it's the most universal language and one that no one speaks natively."

"So in Latin I say: I marvel that so many votes were cast for the Veressov system.  I consider that system weak, and I think the black pieces are outstanding after 3...c5."

There was a grammatical error in my post as quoted by Smyslov Fan, which I've since corrected.  Contrary to his supposition, my interest in Latin stems from no connection to the Catholic Church (credo in nullum deum, et sperno pontifices episcopesque), but from a longstanding interest in classical history and literature.  "Veni, vidi, vici" is properly pronounced not "vainy, veedy, veechy" as by the bishops, but "wainy, weedy, weeky" as Caesar would actually have said it.

All marvelously offtopic and rather obnoxiously self-indulgent, I know.  Sorry.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

OstapBender
God Member

There is no spoon.

Reply #50 - 08/11/06 at 05:15:24
Post Tools
    Il n'ya pas de sport plus violent que les échecs!

"If God had wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates."  -Jay Leno

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo