Latest Updates:
Normal Topic B00 1.e4 b6 Queen's Fianchetto /Nimzo Defense (Read 3767 times)
SutterCane

I recognize terror in
chess as the finest emotion!

Re: B00 1.e4 b6 Queen's Fianchetto /Nimzo Defense
Reply #2 - 06/19/06 at 15:43:27
Post Tools
Hello,

why is 9... o-o a bad move ?!?   ...TIMING...

1.   With 9...o-o you say goodbye to the "aggressive compensation" on kingside, which will black go for via 9...d6 10. Nd2 e5 11.f4 (f.e.) ef: with g5 and o-o-o in mind.

2.   With your 9...o-o and lets say 10.Nd2 d6 11.f4 you can "feel" what makes the difference! 11...Nd7 12.Qg4 Qe7 13.Rae1. Here you understand what I mean with "aggressive Compensation"...Black is here waiting for a KO....

3.   In this kind of position it is better to wait as long as possible to show your opponent on which side your king will be and to use this TIME for fastest possible counterplay. As you can learn from 1. and 2. Black preferres "fastest developing" instead of "wasting important time" for castling. In our example white will fear that you can attack with pawn g5 etc and castling long...after 9...0-O white would feel very happy because he can pressure Black without any compensation for Black.

By the way: Nd2/f4 is the only way for white to get an advantage...d6/e5/ef/g5...will give you an interesting fight.

Best greetings,

SutterCane

I recognize terror as the finest emotion in a chessgame and so I will try to terrorize my opponent. But if I find that I cannot terrify, I will try to horrify, and if I find that I cannot horrify ...

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Re: B00 1.e4 b6 Queen's Fianchetto /Nimzo Defense
Reply #1 - 06/19/06 at 14:22:56
Post Tools
Just because a move isn't mentioned in a book doesn't mean it's bad.

There's no immediate tactical problems with it, and strategically, you just need to ask yourself if castling queenside or staying in the centre is a preferable option (have a look what happens later on in the d6 line) or are happy to commit to 0-0 now.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Kaissa
YaBB Newbies

B00 1.e4 b6 Queen's Fianchetto /Nimzo Defense
06/19/06 at 04:06:14
Post Tools
Hi All,

I played the black side of this in a side game.  

1.e4 b6
2.d4 Bb7
3.Nc3 e6
4. Nf3 Bb4
5.Bd3 Nf6
6.Bg5 h6
7.Bxf6 Bxc3+
8.bxc3 Qxf6
9.0-0 0-0

I looked this line up when I got home in the Soltis and Bauer books on 1...b6 and discovered that the text move is 9...d6.  Neither book gives any commentary on 9... 0-0.  

Can someone explain why (stategically and tactically) the text move is better?

I just want to know why 9...0-0 is bad.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo