Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New Taimanov Sicilian book by James Rizzitano (Read 23624 times)
Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re: New Taimanov Sicilian book by James Rizzitano
Reply #45 - 01/16/07 at 20:55:14
Post Tools
Thing is not to try and threaten something. The minors will pick up some pawns along the way anyway, but for the moment they need to keep the defenses tight.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #44 - 01/16/07 at 20:52:25
Post Tools
Willempie wrote on 01/16/07 at 13:07:38:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/danheisman/Articles/evaluation_of_material_imbalan...
Some statistical considerations, maybe of some use Smiley

PS I had this variation in one of my first Taimanov outings and had a cakewalk. The minor pieces are like a plague for white.

Perhaps you're right.  A couple of years ago I looked at this with one of my students, and we felt that White could demonstrate little and was probably worse.  But now that I have had to play the Black side of it, I am less certain that Black is better.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #43 - 01/16/07 at 14:32:18
Post Tools
Gazza won 4-2, I think. Sure Google'll do the business for you; it was reported at the time.

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #42 - 01/16/07 at 14:26:15
Post Tools
IMJohnCox wrote on 01/16/07 at 14:14:02:
Curious article. I always have difficulty with this methodology since presumably most times when people give up the exchange they do it because they think they have compensation. I would therefore expect such a method to undervalue material advantage.

Prophetic conclusion though, because of course Kasparov did play an odds match against Terry Chapman, at - was it two pawns and move? Hard to say what TC's rating would have been, since IIRC he'd not played for a long time but trained quite specifically for the match.

What was the result? I had never heard of it

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #41 - 01/16/07 at 14:14:02
Post Tools
Curious article. I always have difficulty with this methodology since presumably most times when people give up the exchange they do it because they think they have compensation. I would therefore expect such a method to undervalue material advantage.

Prophetic conclusion though, because of course Kasparov did play an odds match against Terry Chapman, at - was it two pawns and move? Hard to say what TC's rating would have been, since IIRC he'd not played for a long time but trained quite specifically for the match.

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #40 - 01/16/07 at 13:07:38
Post Tools
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/danheisman/Articles/evaluation_of_material_imbalan...
Some statistical considerations, maybe of some use Smiley

PS I had this variation in one of my first Taimanov outings and had a cakewalk. The minor pieces are like a plague for white.

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #39 - 01/16/07 at 12:55:11
Post Tools
I don't know about instruction! Merely an alternative theory, I would have said. But it's a good question about sources: no, I don't - you'd think someone would have treated the subject in a theoretical sort of way. Is there something in Watson perhaps? Or one of Peter Wells' Strategy columns in ChessBase magazine?

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #38 - 01/16/07 at 12:51:52
Post Tools
IMJohnCox wrote on 01/16/07 at 12:25:57:
Really, Markovich? I would have said the reverse; I would have thought the power of a queen was precisely that it can be in two places at once, as it were.

Perhaps open/closed positions are a false distinction - what the minor pieces need most of all is stability.

Thanks for your reaction.  I'm happy to have the instruction of an IM on this point.  But, for better worse, I decided to try to open the game.  We'll see how it turns out.   

Do you know of any good references on the play of the queen versus three minor pieces?

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #37 - 01/16/07 at 12:25:57
Post Tools
Really, Markovich? I would have said the reverse; I would have thought the power of a queen was precisely that it can be in two places at once, as it were.

Perhaps open/closed positions are a false distinction - what the minor pieces need most of all is stability.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #36 - 01/16/07 at 07:48:46
Post Tools
The position after 13.Qg4:

http://www.france-echecs.com/diagramme/imgboard.phpfen=r1b1k1nr/1pbp1ppp/2n1p3/8...

Black's issue is to get the pieces out!

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #35 - 01/16/07 at 01:21:42
Post Tools
Ptero wrote on 01/15/07 at 21:46:28:
I firmly believe that 13...Be5! is much suprior to the submissive 13...g6. I think Rizzitano’s line with 18…0-0 (?!) is not the best way for black to play this position.  I believe black should hack violently at the white center with 18…g5! 19.fxg5 Nc6 to clear the way for his minor pieces.  I would like to hear a more qualified opinion though…

Just about chess, not this system.  I think that if you want to win with three minor pieces against the queen, you need an open position.  The queen is a very local piece, like an ultra-powerful knight.  In a closed position, you risk being overwhelmed locally.  Better for the three pieces if play is across the whole board, I opine.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Ptero

When all else fails, read
the instructions.

Reply #34 - 01/15/07 at 21:46:28
Post Tools
I firmly believe that 13...Be5! is much suprior to the submissive 13...g6. I think Rizzitano’s line with 18…0-0 (?!) is not the best way for black to play this position.  I believe black should hack violently at the white center with 18…g5! 19.fxg5 Nc6 to clear the way for his minor pieces.  I would like to hear a more qualified opinion though…

IP Logged

OstapBender
God Member

There is no spoon.

Reply #33 - 01/15/07 at 21:13:53
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 01/15/07 at 19:45:35:
So, what does Rizzitano say about 3. d4 cxd4  4. Nxd4 Nc6  5. Nc3 Qc7  6. Nb5?  I have an ongoing, informal c.c. game with 6...Qb8 7.Be3 a6 8.Bb6 axb5 9.Nxb5 Bb4 10.c3 Ba5 11.Nc7 Qxc7 12.Bxc7 Bxc7 13.Qg4 Be5 (recommended by Sakaev, but with very scant follow-up) 14.f4 Nf6 15.Qh4 Bc7 16.Bd3 e5 17.f5 Bb6 18.Ke2 d5.  I feel a little better about my chances right now, but I must admit that I was quite worried for awhile.  When I played 16...e5 I decided to strive for an open position.  I am not sure of the correctness of that and even now I could still lose.  

No specific advice please, just your thoughts about this variation, and info about how Rizzitano treats it.

It's curious that this line isn't played more often.

In 1999, Ponamariov won some nice games in this line with the white pieces but seemed to stop playing it shortly after this.  Not too long ago, I'd seen suggestions that maybe Black should prefer 9...Ra5 to 9...Bb4+ (first Burgess in his book 'The Taimanov Sicilian' and later Watson in a review of the same book http://www.chesscenter.com/twic/jwatson31.html) but apparently 9...Bb4+ remains the main line.

I think it's a fascinating line.  Maybe the reason it's not chosen more often by White is that, with the resulting positions being so unbalanced and unclear, there are safer ways to play for an advantage.

"If God had wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates."  -Jay Leno

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #32 - 01/15/07 at 20:33:50
Post Tools
Hmm. Apparently, I spent quite some time looking at poor blitz games before posting.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #31 - 01/15/07 at 20:31:31
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 01/15/07 at 19:45:35:
So, what does Rizzitano say about 3. d4 cxd4  4. Nxd4 Nc6  5. Nc3 Qc7  6. Nb5?  I have an ongoing, informal c.c. game with 6...Qb8 7.Be3 a6 8.Bb6 axb5 9.Nxb5 Bb4 10.c3 Ba5 11.Nc7 Qxc7 12.Bxc7 Bxc7 13.Qg4 Be5 (recommended by Sakaev, but with very scant follow-up) 14.f4 Nf6 15.Qh4 Bc7 16.Bd3 e5 17.f5 Bb6 18.Ke2 d5.  I feel a little better about my chances right now, but I must admit that I was quite worried for awhile.  When I played 16...e5 I decided to strive for an open position.  I am not sure of the correctness of that and even now I could still lose.  

No specific advice please, just your thoughts about this variation, and info about how Rizzitano treats it.

It's curious that this line isn't played more often.

Rizzitano follows Vorobiov-Beshukov, 2002, where 13...g6 is played instead. (Remember that this is a complete games type of book.) In the notes, 13...Kf8?! and 13...Be5!? are analysed. He acknowledge the Semkov/Delchev analysis but suggests 18.Bd3!? instead of 18.Bb3 and gives a line where he thinks white have a slight edge.

I think you're right. This is an important line. Some might play 5...a6 to avoid it but then the exchange variation becomes more attractive.

I have just started to play the Taimanov. Just in CC and blitz, so far. I've only met it once when I won quickly. But I think this line needs to be thoroughly analysed. The material is quite unbalanced and the right plan for black is not obvious.

Note: I actually found another game of mine played at the ICC. Played a year ago before I even started to look at the Taimanov.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo