Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Recent tries on the Alekhine-Voronezh (Read 30596 times)
Viking
God Member

Re: Recent tries on the Alekhine-Voronezh
Reply #5 - 06/11/07 at 20:35:01
Post Tools
I agree with MrAlekhine - that I fear the exchange much more than the four pawn attack.

When playing the Alekhine - I do it to win!
Playing exd6 does not attract me much as blacks counter play is reduced. Besides, when looking into it earlier - I have stopped - as I am not so sure about his solidity there either...

When it comes to blacks alternatives to meet the Voronezh:
i) a5 is interesting. I have played this move with some success - but without developing the knight to a6 - as done by Chukky. Btw I started a thread on a5  a while back in time....

ii) e6 does feel strange to me. The way Chetverik played it with Bd7-c6-Bxf3 is time consuming and doesnt feel right.

iii) Nbd7 does have some logic to me as  b6 often is not a very good square for the knight. Although white often kicks it the right direction when playing c5 as a response on d5... But still- this doesnt seam right.

other possibilities:
iv)Bd7. I dont have the book by Davies but I think it is recomended there? Any practisioners? What is his point?

v) f5 - could this be something to investigate?

vi) Nc6. I am still amazed by the amount of people playng this move (even GMs)... The whole setup is designed against this standard move.... But - what do I know?

vii) e5 - May be the best move after all. Although I think white has the easier play. A white knight (or something) seams to always penetrate into blacks position when black has to be (more than I usually like) careful.

IP Logged

lg
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #4 - 06/11/07 at 18:24:18
Post Tools
"I like Ivanchuk's idea despite the result."

Great, there are three of us!

IP Logged

MrAlekhine
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 06/11/07 at 18:19:47
Post Tools
Very interesting lines on the pesky Voronezh variation.  Despite the theoretical standing of the Four Pawn Attack, most Alekhine players have a pet line against the Four Pawn Attack they feel somewhat comfortable with and generally score pretty well (excluding the GM level).  However, at the Master and below level, I'd be willing to bet the Voronezh is the line that makes many Alekhine players rethink their repetoire choice.  I personally raised the white flag a few years ago and started playing the exd6 lines after a few lifeless losses, but I think I'll take another stab at making cxd6 a viable option again.  I like Ivanchuk's idea despite the result.   

IP Logged

lg
God Member

Reply #2 - 06/11/07 at 17:41:50
Post Tools
Markovich

Recently I have been spending (wasting?) time looking (again) at 9... Qd7 10 Be2 O-O-O 11 O-O
(and this time) at the rather old 11 ... f6 which is given a ?! in many books. Somehow, I think
many resulting variations are quite fun to analise with a computer and they do not appear to
be lost for Black as many books say.
I also looked (and examined with a computer) the Kotronias Short game and from a computer point
of view, Short does not appear to have lost because of the opening.

Cheers, lg

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #1 - 06/11/07 at 15:05:12
Post Tools
lg wrote on 06/10/07 at 11:29:59:
First of all, my regrets and complaints) on not seeing anymore the frequent posts by IM John Cox
which were keeping us posted on recent tries on the Alekhine.

His posts were helping us to keep up to date on recent tries on the Alehine.

Any comments on the following recent tries on the Alekhine-Voronezh?

i) Ivanchuk's 9... a5 followed by Na6. This was dismissed here as a bad try. But did Ivanchuk
lose because of his opening choice? It appears to me that is chpoice of developing the Knight
is a sound one as in the other lines the Knight usually gets in teh way of the queen bishop.

ii) Two recent tries of M. Chveterik are

9.   e6 (which I think was suggested in Davies book) followed Bd7, Bc6 and BxN(f3) and it appears
that he did well

9.    N(6)-d7 followed Nf6 (which is amazing since the knight is coming back to its original
normal place) but he did well, too

Any comments?

I am very conservative in my judgement of chess moves, and both 9...e6 and 9...Nbd7 just smell bad to me.  Both seem to weasel around without creating any obvious counterplay.  Though I doubt its soundness, at least 9...f5 is a move with some bite.

But 9...e5! continued with 15...b6 in the main line, as played in Martin-Cox, Port Erin 2005, is fully adequate, I opine.  And in a recent update Watson said that nobody has shown White's path to advantage there.

Without the queen exchange, 12...Qa5?! as played by Baburin against Rowson, Isle of Mann 1999, is wrong I think (the pdf document available here has not been updated with the latest on that line); but I believe Black does well enough with 12...Nc6 and ...Qa5 later.

I am far more worried about the Four Pawns Attack.  In all frankness, I am unaware of how Black can get a satisfactory game against it (particularly since noticing that my idea of 9...Be7  10. d5 Nb4  11. Rc1 f6  12. a3 Na6  13. g4 Bxg4  14. Rg1 h5?! is utterly refuted by 15. Rxg4 -- I should've seen that in the first place).  Really, it is a huge blow to Alekhine's that 9...Be7, for a long time regarded as Black's best against the 4PA, appears to lead to a very nice game for White after 10. d5 exd5  11. cxd5 Nb4  12. Nd4 Bd7  13. Qf3! c5  14. dxc6 bxc6  15. Be2!  But all that is for another thread, I suppose. 

I do share your frustration with Cox's absence here.  I think that the Alekhine is in crisis right now, and I have my doubts that he wants to take up the burden of defending it.  Or maybe he just doesn't want to share his secrets.  I can't blame him for that.

I doubt that we will ever see this rumored Baburin book.  But if we do, perhaps it'll contain some answers.  As you will know, there hasn't been a really systematic monograph on this defense since Burgess's.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

lg
God Member

Recent tries on the Alekhine-Voronezh
06/10/07 at 11:29:59
Post Tools
First of all, my regrets and complaints) on not seeing anymore the frequent posts by IM John Cox
which were keeping us posted on recent tries on the Alekhine.

His posts were helping us to keep up to date on recent tries on the Alehine.

Any comments on the following recent tries on the Alekhine-Voronezh?

i) Ivanchuk's 9... a5 followed by Na6. This was dismissed here as a bad try. But did Ivanchuk
lose because of his opening choice? It appears to me that is chpoice of developing the Knight
is a sound one as in the other lines the Knight usually gets in teh way of the queen bishop.

ii) Two recent tries of M. Chveterik are

9.   e6 (which I think was suggested in Davies book) followed Bd7, Bc6 and BxN(f3) and it appears
that he did well

9.    N(6)-d7 followed Nf6 (which is amazing since the knight is coming back to its original
normal place) but he did well, too

Any comments?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo