Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Alekhine ´s line against modern (Read 27198 times)
lg
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: Alekhine ´s line against modern
Reply #22 - 02/25/09 at 09:47:23
Post Tools
Herbie

Could you please give us link to that game? Or post the first moves?

Thanks, lg

IP Logged

herbie
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #21 - 02/24/09 at 23:27:13
Post Tools
Hello to everyone, I´m new on this forum; 37 years old; German Bezirksliga player and about 2100 + Elo;
Coming from Caro Kann and Scandinavian defence and specializing in e6/c6 pawn formations I now try to include the alekhines defence in my opening repertoire .
My main theoretical source is Andrew Martins ABC of the Alekhine defence and Nigel Davies´book.
I´m mainly interested in Miles variation against the modern system.

Did anyone notice the game Svidler - Baburin (bunratty chess festival 2009) and find a solution for black ? Svidler rather convincingly killed Alekhine guru Baburin in this game. The game resembles Dolmatov - Teshkovsky; Russian Ch. tomsk 2001.

I tried to find some improvements for black, but nothing really good.
Seems to me a model game how to play against the miles with white.

Greetings to all

Herbie

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #20 - 07/29/08 at 17:29:29
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 12/17/07 at 13:47:22:
I thought I would share my current thinking on about this line of Flohr's Variation.  I have looked very hard at it since writing here, and after 1.e4 Nf6 2.e5 Nd5 3.d4 d6 4.Nf3 Bg4 5.Be2 c6 6.c4 Nb6 (I don't have much faith in 6...Nc7?!) 7.Ng5 Bxe2 8.Qxe2 h6 9.Nf3 dxe5 10.dxd5 e6, I have decided that ...N8d7, although thematic, is probably wrong.  I think that the knight should instead go to a6.  My point is that Black has no very strong threats to White's e-pawn even with the kight on d7.  But on d7, the knight interferes with Black's ability to fight for d6 and also to exchange off his rooks.  From a6 though, it can still find activity on c5, b4 or maybe even c7 eventually; but it need not move again soon.

It doesn't seem to matter very much what order of moves is played after 10...e6; nothing is forced that I can see.  But play might go 11.0-0 Qc7 12.Nc3 Be7 13.Rd1 Na6 14.Ne4 0-0 15.Nd6 Rad8 16.Bf4 Nc8 and it looks like Black has successfully resisted White's invasion of d6.  It's nice that the a6 knight stops c4-c5, for example.  If White doesn't hurry a knight to d6, then Black should probably try to occupy the d-file with his rooks, exchanging them if possible.  He can also try for ...c5.  White has a plan in a3, b4, but I doubt it is winning if met by ...c5.

Even so, I am about ready to drop Alekhine's not because of the Modern, but because of the Four Pawns Attack.  I will soon start another thread and air my concerns on that subject.

I am resurrecting this thread because John Watson talks about it in his latest update.  In general he is most generous with his citations of my Alekhine's thinking here.  But I'm not sure if he noticed my last post above, because in the update, he suggests that I concede this line to be much better for White.  For several months I thought so, but my latest understanding, for whatever it's worth, is that Black is probably O.K. if he puts his b8 knight not on d7, but on a6 -- as explained in my post just above.  It seems that Black can then organize himself fast enough to prevent White from planting a knight permanently on d6.  One key point is that the knight on d7 interferes with Black's control of that square, blocking the eventually necessary d8 rook; another is that with a knight on a6, Black can react to Nd6 with ...Nc8 and not have to worry (not right away, anyhow) that White will play c4-c5. 

I actually wrote to Baburin to share this idea, but I never heard back -- not that I particularly expected to.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #19 - 12/17/07 at 13:47:22
Post Tools
I thought I would share my current thinking on about this line of Flohr's Variation.  I have looked very hard at it since writing here, and after 1.e4 Nf6 2.e5 Nd5 3.d4 d6 4.Nf3 Bg4 5.Be2 c6 6.c4 Nb6 (I don't have much faith in 6...Nc7?!) 7.Ng5 Bxe2 8.Qxe2 h6 9.Nf3 dxe5 10.dxd5 e6, I have decided that ...N8d7, although thematic, is probably wrong.  I think that the knight should instead go to a6.  My point is that Black has no very strong threats to White's e-pawn even with the kight on d7.  But on d7, the knight interferes with Black's ability to fight for d6 and also to exchange off his rooks.  From a6 though, it can still find activity on c5, b4 or maybe even c7 eventually; but it need not move again soon.

It doesn't seem to matter very much what order of moves is played after 10...e6; nothing is forced that I can see.  But play might go 11.0-0 Qc7 12.Nc3 Be7 13.Rd1 Na6 14.Ne4 0-0 15.Nd6 Rad8 16.Bf4 Nc8 and it looks like Black has successfully resisted White's invasion of d6.  It's nice that the a6 knight stops c4-c5, for example.  If White doesn't hurry a knight to d6, then Black should probably try to occupy the d-file with his rooks, exchanging them if possible.  He can also try for ...c5.  White has a plan in a3, b4, but I doubt it is winning if met by ...c5.

Even so, I am about ready to drop Alekhine's not because of the Modern, but because of the Four Pawns Attack.  I will soon start another thread and air my concerns on that subject.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

lg
God Member

Reply #18 - 11/22/07 at 16:25:39
Post Tools
well

the alekhine fanatics (pas well as the Miles fanatics) should be happy because M. Carlsen played several
games with the Miles in the rapid WC.

As far as I know yesterday he played 3 (against Anand - he lost, against Adams - draw and against
Shirov - he won), and today he played at least one (against Grichuk - draw). Maybe he played more today.
I agree with one comment in chessbase.com. He equalized quite easily in the opening and the variations
played were all different. Interesting was the game agianst Anand, where Anand, aparently "improved"
on an old game of Kasparov- Short.

lg

IP Logged

lg
God Member

Reply #17 - 11/13/07 at 18:22:48
Post Tools
I believe that lines are also based on fashions

for instance, it is not clear why the Kengis is being played less and less, at least when compared with
its brother, the Miles; what has really happened to make the Kengis disappear?

If I had to choose I would prefer the Kengis, but the GMs are choosing otherwise.
Furthermore, I never understoof why the line (against the Kengis) with and early Qf3 followed by c4
was not played more often.

Today I was watching in Internet the game Carlsen - Mamedyarov and for a few seconds (after 1.e4) I hoped
to see Mamedyarov play 1.---Nf6. However, he Played a Pirc and got an easy draw. Which might be sensible since Carlsen played recently the Miles with Black and got an easy draw (funny, was the fact that he was playing with a weaker opponent and only get an "easy" draw).

Someone said that Mamedyarov played the Miles quite often but gave it up when reaching the top.
Does this say what GMs think about the Alekhine?

I was never atracted to the Flohr, so I cannot understand why Baburin or even someone else plays it.

What is the acrual assessment of the 4 ... Bg4 and 5 ... E6 line. Has it been "labelled" bad because
of Bologan's idea?

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #16 - 11/13/07 at 17:30:34
Post Tools
lg wrote on 11/09/07 at 19:46:26:
the Knight in d6
may cause trouble as you say, but Black may try to play f6 to undermine the pawin in e5.

Based on my researches, this is quite difficult to pull off.  If White is careful to overprotect d6 (and there are various tactical tricks whereby this square can be defended indirectly), he just answers ...f6 with exf6 and leaves you with bad pawns.  He still retains c4-c5 to support his knight.

White has all sorts of play in these positions, for example, running his a-pawn; Black is just sitting there with less space, something nasty on d6 whether knight or pawn, and no counterplay.

If Black can get castled queenside, play ...Kb8, and sufficiently attack d6 while also somehow dodging a4-a5-a6, then there is some chance to react to Nd6 with ...f6 or ...f5 and ...g5 in combination, with kingside counterplay.  But White has to play chess like a cow to allow all this.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #15 - 11/13/07 at 16:55:20
Post Tools
I looked for a couple of days at 6...Nc7.  Baburin played this way in one fairly recent game actually, which went 7.Qb3 dxe5 and ...Qc8.  But I think that if White plays just 7.exd6, it's not very easy for Black.  Cox opines that the night on c7 works out well after the exchange, but I could find scant opportunity either to shift it to e6 or to play ...d5.  Much more likely is d4-d5 and White domination of the center. For example, 7.exd6 exd6 8.0-0 Be7 9.Qb3 is challenging to meet.

For whatever it's worth, the exchange on d6 is the favored way of meeting 6...Nc7 in my database.

White also has 7.0-0 and if 7...Bxf3, 8.exd6.

The best answer does seem to be to dump Flohr's variation and just play Mile's or maybe Kengis's.  But why are Baburin, and some others, still sometimes playing Flohr's?  That's what I can't understand, given that this line favors White so thoroughly. At any rate, I have yet to find any convincing counterplay.  I don't see myself playing into a position where all the play is on my opponent's side, and I'm objectively worse besides.
I would sooner the Imperator declare me an enemy combatant and send me to Guantanamo.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

drkodos
God Member

I see....stars.

Reply #14 - 11/11/07 at 05:57:24
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 11/09/07 at 20:18:48:
For the time being I'm resisting 4...dxe5 with its Scandinavian-like implications, but I understand that it's regarded as Black's best, and possibly only viable way of playing.

Resistance is futile.  

Give in to the darkside of light square play in the Moderrn Alekhine (Miles Var) for any hope of a full point.

And even then, keep fingers crossed that white is negligent in being fully prepped.   Grin

I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #13 - 11/09/07 at 20:18:48
Post Tools
lg wrote on 11/09/07 at 19:46:26:
Markovich

Your comments on the Alekhine are always welcome, however, you should note that etc. etc.

Oh, I fully understand why you might not have responded.  I wasn't pressing you for an answer.  It does seem though, that we are the two persons on this whole board who correspond on Alekhine subjects!

I think that Baburin has both 5...c6 and 5...e6 in his repertoire.  I admit that I haven't studied 5...e6 at all; it's on my to-do list.  I've given a great deal of thought and prepartion to 5...c6, however, and played it in quite a few games. 

5...Nc6 I have not looked at at all.  I'll look at your ideas here and come back to you.  4...Nc6!? is something else I haven't given serious attention to.

I've dabbled in 4....g6 with quite bad results.  Not only did I have trouble against the sharper lines, but I was surprised to find that just 5.Bc4 c6 6.Qe2 Bg7 7.c3!? was hard to equalize against.  It'll be a long time before I again try 4...g6.  The Flohr on the other hand is very elegant in concept and easy to play once you understand the ideas.  So the revelation that ...Nc5 didn't stop the knight incursion (since White has Nd2 etc) was alarming.

For the time being I'm resisting 4...dxe5 with its Scandinavian-like implications, but I understand that it's regarded as Black's best, and possibly only viable way of playing.

Between the two of us, you seem be the less orthodox in your ideas about what a good move could possibly be.  In Alekhine's, that's probably a good thing.   

I know about convex combinations; I do some LP myself.  I keep a copy of Hadley's text on that subject on the shelf above my desk, in fact!

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

lg
God Member

Reply #12 - 11/09/07 at 19:46:26
Post Tools
Markovich

Your comments on the Alekhine are always welcome, however, you should note that
one: i) may not have nothing to add; ii) need time to think about it; iii) not be inclined
to the Flohr's variation

I should say that I am the convex combination of the three with parameter 1/3 for each item
(sorry, linear programming jargon).

About your ideas, I could quickly add that: i) I prefer 6 ... Nc7 and ii) the Knight in d6
may cause trouble as you say, but Black may try to play f6 to undermine the pawin in e5.

The two "main" lines currently endorsed by "good" players (whatever that means)
for Black against 4 Nf3 are the Miles and the Flohr (although in a less strong way)
variations. And, although none of them raise my mental activity, I have to agree that both have a point.

On the other hand, this does not prevent me to look at the databases, every day, hoping to see
i) a very good or a good player playing the Alekhine and not losing
ii) a player playing the old 4 ... g6 against 4. Nf3 (which I never understood why it come out of
fashion - take a look at chessgames.com and see a nice and quite recent game with 5 Bc4 Nb6 6. Bb3 and the unusual 6...d5) or even 9 ... Qd7 against the 4PA

As another less played variation, consider 4. Nf3 Bg4 (somehow I dont fancy this, but I played it
a few times in the past) 5 Be2 Nc6 6. 00 PxP 7. NxP NxN !? 8. PxN

and now, we have
i) 8 ... BxB (the "main" line which is known to be bad for Black, but looking at the final positions given
in the analysis in several books, I dont see why Black is worse than in other recomended positions)

ii) 8...Bf5 endorsed in the second book by Burguess. It is also funny to see how Burguess and Khalifman
disagree on this line

iii) 8...Be6 which is entioned byKhalifman and although his analysis show that White is better (well,
he is writing a repertoire for White) I think the move is perfectly playable

howevr, interesting and quite funny is the Pawn sacrifice

iv) 8...h5. After 9 BxB PxB 10. QxP Black can play e6, Bc5, Qe7 and castle long and try to use the
opened h row. I played a few games with this line against the computer and lost all of them (but NOT because
of the opening - this applies to lines ii) and iii) above).

Any opinions?

By the way I noticed thta baburin played 4. ...Bg4 5. Be2 e6 recently. Had anything prepared
against Bologan's line? The game is interesting also because White played an unusual b4 quite soon.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #11 - 11/09/07 at 17:07:56
Post Tools
My long 10/29/07 post about the strength of 6.c4! Nb6 7.Ng5! (after 1.e4 Nf6 2.e5 Nd5 3.d4 d6 4.Nf3 Bg4 5.Be2 c6) attracted essentially no replies, I suppose because few people here care about Alekhine's and even fewer about Flohr's Variation.  Since posting I've looked deeply at all sorts of different ideas for Black, but I haven't found a way to prevent White's eventual knight incursion at d6 or to demonstrate equality once it gets there.  Ideas with an early ...g5 work against some less precise White move orders, but in general, they just leave Black with a weak kinside and especially, f6.

Provisionally I think that 6...Nc7 rather than the much-more-preferred 6...Nb6 may be necessary, if indeed Flohr's Variation can be played at all.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #10 - 10/30/07 at 14:02:02
Post Tools
Sacapawn wrote on 10/29/07 at 21:35:42:
After 6.c4 Nb6 7.Ng5 Bxe2 8.Qxe2 dxe5 9.dxe5 h6
10.Ne4 is an interesting alternative to 10.Nf3.

For example 10.-,e6 11.0-0 Qd4 12.b3!
Now 12.-,Qxa1 is met with 13.Nec3 and 14.Bb2.
12.-,Qxe5 13.Bb2 or maybe better 13.f4 should give White good compensation for the pawn.

Perhaps, but Black can easily avoid this by playing 8...h6.  He meets 9.Ne4 with 9...d5. 

Note: Anyone reading this please go up two posts and read my inquiry there concerning whether the Flohr Variation is refuted by 6.c4 Nb6 7.Ng5 (or perhaps, whether 6...Nc7!? is necessary).
« Last Edit: 10/30/07 at 16:29:58 by Markovich »  

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Sacapawn

International Master

Reply #9 - 10/29/07 at 21:35:42
Post Tools
After 6.c4 Nb6 7.Ng5 Bxe2 8.Qxe2 dxe5 9.dxe5 h6
10.Ne4 is an interesting alternative to 10.Nf3.

For example 10.-,e6 11.0-0 Qd4 12.b3!
Now 12.-,Qxa1 is met with 13.Nec3 and 14.Bb2.
12.-,Qxe5 13.Bb2 or maybe better 13.f4 should give White good compensation for the pawn.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #8 - 10/29/07 at 19:26:14
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 09/05/07 at 11:37:19:

The old 4...Bg4, followed usually by 4...c6, appears to be the choice of the very few current GM Alekhine practitioners, notably Baburin and, on occasion, Krasenkow.

Lately I've been putting together an extensive set of notes on Alekhine's, and I think this latter system, named for Salo Flohr, is playable.  In all honesty, I think that in this and in all Black's ways of dealing with the Modern (and possibly in the Four Pawns Attack as well, for that matter) Black fails to equalize if White plays well.  But I think, at least in the Flohr, Kengis and Miles variations, he can at worst obtain good chances to draw.

One line of particular interest, not considered in the books, is 4...Bg4 5.Be2 c6 7.0-0 Bxf3 8.Bxf3 dxe5 9.dxe5 e6 10.Re1 Nd7 11.Nd2 Qc7 12.Nc4 Be7!? (theory considers 12...Nbd6 13.Qd4 Nxc4 15.Qxc4 and soon ...0-0-0, with pawn assaults on opposite flanks; the text is much more conservative) 13. Nd6+ Kf8.  I have an analysis from here which I won't bother to share.  While the knight's early appearance on d6 is impressive, I'm not sure that White can sustain it or prove advantage.  I've had this twice against reasonably strong opponents and each has failed to demonstrate any advantage for White.

Well, when I wrote the words quoted above, I hadn't yet given much examination to 4...Bg4 5.Be2 c6 6.c4! Nb6 7.Ng5!.  Having done so, not only does this seem to be a very serious challenge to the Flohr Variation, but I have yet to discover Black's path to a defensible position.  I've played the Flohr in perhaps 20 recent games, but oddly enough, my opponents have never seen fit to play this way.  Most play 6.0-0, and those who play 6.c4! follow up with Levenfish's 7.Nbd2.

Black's problem after 6.c4! Nb6 7.Ng5! is that White preserves his knight for eventual occupation of d6.  Yes, against these Caro/Scandinavian structures an excellent winning plan is to force an exchange on e5, recapture with the d-pawn, then finagle a knight into d6.  If permitted to remain there it radiates power, and if exchanged it gives White a passed pawn on the 6th and a beautiful outpost on e5. Here in contrast to the Caro, White has a pawn on e5, but it's the same principle, since Black pretty well has to exchange there and follow up with ...e6. Because 7...Bf5 fails to 8.e6! fxe6 9.g4 Bg6 10.Bd3, Black must play 7...Bxe2 8.Qxe2 after which, in view of the threat of e5-e6, there is no good way for Black to avoid playing ...e6 soon.  Likewise because of his knight on b6, he must play ...dxe5 before ...e6.  Then I believe that no matter what, White can plant a knight on d6.

Let us say play continues 8...dxe5 (8...h6  9. Nf3 exd5 10.dxe5 transposes into line 2 below) 9.dxe5, after which it can go one of two ways:

(1) 9...e6 10.0-0 Be7 11.Rd1! and White will very soon play Ne4-d6.  Indeed, 9...e6 is condemned by Burgess and scores miserably for Black in my database.  After 11...Qc7 12.Bf4, Black can't afford to play 12...Bxg5, which leaves d6 more or less devoid of defenders, or so I think. 

(2) 9...h6 is supposed to be more sophisticated.  It has reasonably good statistics which are due, it seems to me, to a general failure among Whites to recognize the paramount importance of hastening a knight to d6.  10.Nf3 e6  11.0-0 N8d7 12.Nc3 Qc7 13.Bf4 Nc5 (Westerininen versus Wahls in 1987 instead played 12...0-0-0?! and was very lucky to escape with a draw, I opine, after 13.Ne4 c5  14.Bg3 and soon Nd6) 13.Rad1 a5 was played (as Black) by Kovacevich in a game from the 1980's.  For a long time I thought this was Black's equalizing path.  Black will exchange White's knight if it comes to e4.  Kovacevich's game went, as I recall, 14.b3 Be7 15.Rd2 0-0 16.Rfd1 and while White's buildup looked impressive, he was doing nothing. Black brings his rooks to d8 and exchanges them, and the coming ending is fine for Black.  His king is safe enough. 

But unfortunately, White has two knights, not one.  Instead of 15.Rd2, White has 15.Nd2! intending 16.Nde4 Nxe4 17.Nxe4 and 18.Nd6. I don't see anything that Black can do against this.  White perhaps could even have played 14.Nd2.

Instead of Kovacevich's 13...a5, Black could hasten his kingside with 13...Be7, since 14.b4 Nca4 looks O.K. for Black.  But here too White can just go 14.Nd2 or, in case he's worried about Nba4, he can go 14.b3 0-0 15.Nd2 Rfd8 16.Ne4 Nxe4 17.Nxe4 Rxd1 18.Rxd1 Rd8 19.Nd6.  Happily for White, he preserves a rook to back up his potential d-pawn.

I know that Baburin regularly plays the Flohr Variation, and some other biggies sometimes play it as well, so what the heck do they have in mind against White's plan to maneuver a knight into d6?  I would appreciate some help here, dear Alekhine afficionados, and that includes IMs who have written books on the subject.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo