Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Grunfeld Line and Book as White (Read 3612 times)
Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Re: Grunfeld Line and Book as White
Reply #6 - 12/07/07 at 18:04:50
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 12/06/07 at 17:08:26:
The Palliser line has Nf3 in, though (I think playing it without Nf3 and answering ...Nxg5 with h4 has been tried, but isn't to be recommended) ...

Sorry, i miscounted. The bishop goes to g5 in both books on move 5 not 4. The full moveorder would be 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 d5 4. Nf3 Bg7 5. Bg5 Ne4 6. cxd5 (Palliser) and 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 d5 4. Nf3 Bg7 5. Bg5 Ne4 6. Bh4 (Grivas)

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #5 - 12/06/07 at 22:44:27
Post Tools
thibdb13 wrote on 12/06/07 at 16:21:07:
What do you think of 4.h4 in the Grünfeld. there was an interesting article about this in the forelast number of the New in Chess Yearbook.
I 've tried it sometimes in blitz and in rapid. You do not have to know much theory (in fact nearly nothing) and it is quite easy (intuitive) to play as white.

Don't trust it in corr chess. As the white king will not be safe on the queen's wing and the centre is not stable, Black must have good chances for counterplay.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #4 - 12/06/07 at 17:08:26
Post Tools
The Palliser line has Nf3 in, though (I think playing it without Nf3 and answering ...Nxg5 with h4 has been tried, but isn't to be recommended) ...

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #3 - 12/06/07 at 16:51:50
Post Tools
Note that the Palliser recommendation (4. Bg5 Ne4 5. cd  ) differs significantly from the Grivas recommendation  (4. Bg5 Ne4 5. Bh4.)  The former leads to the so called Karlsbad structure, while the latter leads to  a more fluid pawn structure where White keeps the bishop pair.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

thibdb13
God Member

Tal was the best

Reply #2 - 12/06/07 at 16:21:07
Post Tools
What do you think of 4.h4 in the Grünfeld. there was an interesting article about this in the forelast number of the New in Chess Yearbook.
I 've tried it sometimes in blitz and in rapid. You do not have to know much theory (in fact nearly nothing) and it is quite easy (intuitive) to play as white.

Yusupov once said that “The problem with the Dutch Defence is that later in many positions the best move would be ...f5-f7” but he is surely wrong.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 10/01/07 at 15:33:45
Post Tools
I believe that that Bg5 Carlsbadian stuff is part of Richard Palliser's repertoire in "Play 1. d4!".

IP Logged

Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Grunfeld Line and Book as White
10/01/07 at 15:27:45
Post Tools
Hello All:

Need some big picture help here.

As White I don't want to learn a lot of theory playing against the Grunfeld as I meet it only rarely - so many Slavs and Semi-Slavs today!!. Just want to get a reasonable position out of the opening. I have been playing a little with the Bg5 lines as sometimes you can get a Karlsbad structure. For someone wanting to avoid the theory-heavy lines, is this a reasonable variation to use? Or would something like the Bf4 lines be more suitable.

Looks like the Starting Out book would just have a few pages on these. How about coverage in the Rowson Grunfeld book or Beating the Fianchetto Defences by Grivas?

Thanks in advance.

Gerry

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo