Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The Black Lion 2nd edition (Read 20241 times)
kylemeister
God Member

Re: The Black Lion 2nd edition
Reply #5 - 12/12/08 at 19:51:24
Post Tools
Ah, the old "GMs are also capable of making oversights (as an aside, do we know that the example cited wasn't a typo?)/writing bad books" trope.  I would submit that that is not a reason not to be wary of books written by, say, players in the 1800s-1900s (as these authors apparently are, by Dutch rating).

IP Logged

motörhead

Here comes the bass, thunder
in the guts...

Reply #4 - 12/12/08 at 19:20:33
Post Tools
I have both the revised 2. or 3. dutch version and now the 2. english version.
I too was astonished to see the Lion named a weapon against 1.e4 and 1.d4 as there is nothing covered that deals with the closed setup d4/c4.
There have been flaws in the dutch version that are corrected now in the 2.english version. This is my first impression.
True, both authors are amateurs but they are enthusiastic and try their best. When I think of some grandmasters typing opening books in a row that directly fail (Look at Soltis' book on 1...d6, where he advocates a variation that looses the queen in ONE move) then there is no reason to joke on amateurs.
What's most important: You have to check the variations yourself to become confident. To me the Lion looks playable but somehow stereotyped. The key is the bayonnet-attack with the g-pawn (h7-h6 and g7-g5) heading for the attack with behind the lines manovres like Qc7/Nd7-f8-g6-f4/Rg8/Bd7/Qc8. That may well work if White isn't aware. I have used the Attack once in correspondence play and won a real nice game with it.
Yes, Van Rekom/Jansen often are to optimistic and give Black a slight plus if only the starting position of the Lion is reached without accident. But that's by far not the whole story.
What strikes on the other hand is that this attacking setup emerges out of the seemingly passive Black setup and that it was once advocated by Aljechine (who, to be honest, hasn't ever played it...). And the book was published by New in Chess. A publisher not known to print rubbish...

A walk trough the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #3 - 12/12/08 at 08:42:30
Post Tools
Janssen and Van Rekom are both enthusiastic amateurs, although neither of them are FIDE-rated.

The first edition in 2002 was trashed by Flear in an old Yearbook, and with good reason: The English was completely incomprehensible, their exclamation and question marks were completely illogical, they left out a huge number of key variations and their diagrams from black's point of view were found very confusing by many.

I personally wouldn't recommend the book (mainly because of the strength of the authors), but hopefully NIC have fixed up most of the holes to turn out a decent book. However, I don't have either the first or second edition, so it would be better to trust someone who has actually read the second edition.
« Last Edit: 12/12/08 at 19:59:31 by TN »  

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #2 - 12/12/08 at 06:51:01
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 12/12/08 at 00:41:00:
The first edition had no coverage of the Old-Indian and I would be surprised if the second edition had. I wonder if this treats 1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 Nbd7 4.Be3 e5 5.Nge2, which was completely ignored.

Agree with mnb that that is a challenging system for the unprepared. (I was online)
Perhaps this will be in the f3, g4 section. Forgive the inconsistent caps in headings. Lots of (sic) reqd.

Look forward to any reviews.
Much overlap with Bauer's book?

Who are they btw? No disrespect, but never heard of them. Perhaps one of our Dutch compadres could enlighten. Enthusiastic amateurs? 2200? below?

TOC:

v Introduction

vi Preface

001 1 The cub

007 2 The Lion´s Den; Variation after 4.f4 e5

059 3 The Lion´s Claw; Attacking through h6 and g5

107 4 The Lion´s head; Double castling on the King side

207 5 The Lion´s roar; Sacrifices on f7

263 6 The Lion´s yawn; The advanced e7-e5

289 7 The Lion´s mouth; White advance with f3 and / or g4

309 8 Illustrative Games

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #1 - 12/12/08 at 00:41:00
Post Tools
The first edition had no coverage of the Old-Indian and I would be surprised if the second edition had. I wonder if this treats 1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 Nbd7 4.Be3 e5 5.Nge2, which was completely ignored.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

e4d6
YaBB Newbies

The Black Lion 2nd edition
12/11/08 at 18:52:52
Post Tools
Dear all,

can anyone give his opinion to this book ?
I had a look at the first edition and did nt found enough ideas against the most critical lines of the philidor, for instance
(1.e4 d6 2. d4 Sf6 3. Sc3 Sbd7 4. Sf3 e5 5.Lc4 Le7 6. 0-0 0-0 7. Te1 c6 8. a4 b6 9. d5)

Furthermore: in the advertisment it is mentioned to be a weapon against 1. e4 and 1.d4. This would mean, that the old-indian had to be covered, but on the website of schach niggemann, there is no mentioning in the overview

Regards
e4d6

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo