Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Improve your Chess at Any Age - Andres Hortillosa (Read 53499 times)
radarKW
YaBB Newbies

No retreat.......

Re: Improve your Chess at Any Age - Andres Hortillosa
Reply #34 - 02/24/09 at 06:36:35
Post Tools
I think everyone should give Mr. Hortillosa a break.

Being a great player does not make them a great writer or teacher.
Likely, the opposite is probably true.

I'll buy a copy of the book just to help make up for the inhospitable, snarly commentary on this forum.

IP Logged

adh2050

Improving Chess Player!

Reply #33 - 02/24/09 at 00:31:32
Post Tools
Thank you Dr. Kodos. Your point is well taken. Honestly, the postings are getting old.

By the way, the last post was for you Mr. Kylemeister. I suggest you do a little research about FIDE rating rules. It may even inspire you to try what I did if you happen to be FIDE unrated.

I have a section in the book about ratings and some of these quirks  will be there as well. I even have a bizarre idea for US players that when strictly followed would only mean a steady rise in ratings. And there's only one way to find out what it is.

Best wishes.

IP Logged

adh2050

Improving Chess Player!

Reply #32 - 02/24/09 at 00:18:55
Post Tools
Correct. Because of that I kept getting paired up. If you ever had the same good fortune, you would know what I am talking about. In fact, I met IM Sarkar who was on a hunt for a GM norm on round 6. That tells you the significance of those early score. You seem not to appreciate the significance by the tone of your comment. In a swiss tournament, scoring early means fighting off even stronger players for the lower rated players. Since the field is less than 50, a nine-round event gives lower rated players no rest. And early points means facing stronger opponents as consequence, a known quirk of the Swiss system.

In my other posting, I said the FIDE rating formula and rating norming rules gave me the unique opportunity to earn a FIDE Master title had I scored just one more win and one draw in the last four rounds. Again, this is so because of those early scores and because of my unrated status. I also mentioned if you cared to replay the game, it is in Chessbase and MonRoi, the last round game was a dread drawn game. And it was unfortunate that I changed my move at the last minute thinking that I could win instead. The game if drawn would have given me a rating of 2244.

It tells you the kind of opposition I faced that even a last round draw would have earned me 45 rating points. Again, this is how FIDE rating rules work for unrated players. It is based on opposition rating and scoring percentage. A score of 4.5 (50%) in a nine-round event and especially when the score is earned in the first 6 rounds would make any unrated player an FM. Notice the pairings, a score of 4 earned in the first six rounds would make you play the top dog, GM Erenburg. By the way, that person was also a grandmaster. You see in a field of titled players even a draw is a big achievement. This argues my point that a 9-round invitational events are not your typical tournaments and the comparison to a 5-rounder on some weekends like the Colorado Open, which may only have one or two IMs, just does not make sense or dumb.

Since your statement betrays your lack of specific knowledge about FIDE rating rules (I suffered the same ignorance of FIDE rules until this tournament), the higher the average of opposition means the lower the required points for norms. In other words, a score of 5.5 by Victor Kaminski was enough for an IM norm since he faced much tougher opposition and his points were earned in the early rounds.

You are right I am pushing the argument too hard. Is that maybe because you seem unable to understand the point? Folks who have played in Open sections against titled players would know the point I am "pushing hard" to explain.

Best wishes,
Andres D. Hortillosa

IP Logged

drkodos
God Member

I see....stars.

Reply #31 - 02/24/09 at 00:10:36
Post Tools
If your work is good it will stand on it's own.

Let it breath.

I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #30 - 02/23/09 at 23:30:17
Post Tools
You (Mr. Hortillosa) are really pushing it with this "a 5-round event isn't proof of improvement, but a 9-round event is" argument.  For one thing, in the 9-rounder in question, all of your points were scored in rounds 2 through 5. 

IP Logged

adh2050

Improving Chess Player!

Reply #29 - 02/23/09 at 23:10:48
Post Tools
Dear Smyslov_Fan,

Thank you for your kind note. I missed what you were saying in your last post because sometimes I tend to skim things when I get too busy.

Now that I know who you are, I see the wisdom of your arguments. I had no idea that you are the same good friend from Colorado. For you folks who frequent this site: Smyslov_Fan is not just a very rational person, he is a good (consistent) chess player too.

In fact, if he wrote a book of a similar title for the same audience, I would be the first to say that he is fully qualified to do so. He is quite modest though as I know him as someone who really know a lot of theory even back. We actually had some dramatic encounters while I lived in Colorado. We also had similar experiences of beating strong players, including state champions, even as mere Experts. I left Colorado in 2001 so it's been 8 years now since we last spoke.

You know I might even include one of our games in the book.

The thing is the player my friend Smyslov_Fan knew is now a different player. Back then, I had no opening repertoire. And the theory I knew was very narrow. I never quite understood some opening schemes. He will tell you this to be true. Putting his earlier comments about my play it context, I would consider them now as delightful compliments. I was busy doing back to back graduate degrees.

If he thinks I am decent then, just wait till this improving player gets to play some more. Now that I have the means to pay for hired help, including subscription to this site, and travel to bigger tournaments (benefit of getting those graduate degrees), my game is now at a different level.

Also, this book is a labor of love for me. Essentially I am losing money writing the book to be honest with you. The week I am absent from work because of tournaments is money wasted. Now that I have fulfilled my commitments to help organizers of small local tournaments, I will only now just play in those norming-type tournaments against titled players that are 9 rounds or more in duration. The prospect of playing in five of these a year excites me to no end.

It is good to finally caught up with you good friend.

Andres D. Hortillosa
Improving Player

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #28 - 02/23/09 at 08:59:26
Post Tools
to be honest: one book of this type done good could benefit the average chess player more then a 100 opening books. I hope to see some honest reviews about it. I might even buy a copy myself  Cheesy.

IP Logged

adh2050

Improving Chess Player!

Reply #27 - 02/23/09 at 04:53:35
Post Tools
Hi Smyslov Fan,

The proof of improvement is a valid issue for debate. I agree with Antilian that I should have waited for more evidence like getting back to 2100 or even past 2200 before writing the book.

But it is too late now for that. More proof of improvement is yet to come for my system. The proof is not my quarrel here. It is the accusation or suggestion that there was intent on the part of the publisher to mislead people. In addition, the idea that the publisher did not do due diligence in its research is preposterous as argued in my earlier postings.

Everyman is a producer of books for worldwide consumption. As pointed out earlier, it is not solely targeting the US market. And the blurb was simply stating fact because the 2008 New England Masters was in fact a FIDE event and players were seeded based on their FIDE ratings not US or Canadian or British ratings. It is also a matter of fact that the three other unrated players (classified and listed as unrated by the wall chart/organizer) have higher USCF ratings than me.

But you are correct to argue and so as others that one tournament is not enough to cleanly argue for true improvement. However, we are nitpicking the issue. I think you and the others are talking about a long and demonstrations of consistent improvement. A tournament spike is easier in a 5-round event but as many of you would attest, longer tournaments like 9 rounds is in itself a valid demonstration of improvement because of its length and the strength of competition. In most 5-rounders, a player may only get to play against 3 strong players. In my case, I played against all 9 titled players with GM norms and IM norms.

However, this is still besides the point. Proof or no proof, I am offering a systematic plan of improvement. Some truths are true without being proven to be true. The improvement plan I am proposing has to be judged in itself and not necessarily by personal results. The presence of strong evidence in my play would only make the case for the system stronger but not make its case for being. I could have written the plan and have it published under someone's name who has a record.

Yet again, you are missing the point that the book is for players under 2000. And the bulk of the target market is under 1600. Having been rated Expert for 38 months is probably enough evidence that I can at least help someone who is below 2000 improve at chess.

Best wishes,
Andres D. Hortillosa

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #26 - 02/22/09 at 15:20:24
Post Tools
Hi all!

I wrote Mr. Hortillosa a personal message, but part of what I wrote belongs in the public domain:

Regarding your rating performance:  you stated that your 2199 FIDE spike should be regarded as improvement.  You've had other single tournament successes, including the Colorado Open, but I don't consider a single tournament evidence of improvement.

I know that a single tournament of mine propelled me past 1899 USCF to 2000+ USCF and I never touched the 1900s until much later when I slid back down.  That single tournament could have just been a blip on the screen except that I was able to sustain my rating for well over a decade.  

My best performance was well over 2400 USCF, which I accomplished more than once.  But I do not consider those events as evidence of improvement since I did not sustain that level of performance.

Anyway, that's really nitpicking, since your argument is that you've developed a plan for improvement, which should see your rating go up in the next year.

PS (Not in the personal message):

I too agree that once rated, always rated. I don't see how anyone can claim a rating improvement when that player was previously unrated.  But yes, you were rated (USCF) for the tournament, which is why you were invited, and why you were able to claim improvement!

Again, best of luck and skill,

~SF

IP Logged

drkodos
God Member

I see....stars.

Reply #25 - 02/19/09 at 23:32:43
Post Tools
sans asperger's

I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission.

IP Logged

drkodos
God Member

I see....stars.

Reply #24 - 02/19/09 at 23:31:59
Post Tools
sloughter redux

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #23 - 02/19/09 at 22:59:30
Post Tools
adh2050 wrote on 02/18/09 at 04:48:03:
Dear Forum Readers,

I am not sure if Dan Heismanis known to you who frequent this forum. But he is one man who in my humble estimation is a purveyor of grand chess ideas and has earned his grandmaster purveyor title with excess norms to spare. He is the modern Purdy of the US.

Dan Heisman is not a FIDE Master but he is a USCF master. He quit playing tournament chess many years ago. Yet, he has written and much to the benefit of many continues to write about grand chess ideas especially chess improvement schemes even as we speak. Hundreds of chess lovers owe him their highly regarded rating points and their passage to higher class levels. He also has five excellent on-demand videos on Chess.FM about chess improvement. Mind you, they are worth a look.

He told me that he self-published a book in the 70s because back then no publishing outfit would touch his work due to lack of appropriate chess title. In the last years or so IM Watson won "Book of the Year" award for one of his well-received books in which he discussed almost the same ideas as Heisman pioneered some 30 years ago.

This is not a new problem. Heisman tells me that even now, after many book titles under his belt, the benefit of trust is still withheld from him by publishers. He also said his earlier works were shunned by publishers because consulted grandmasters sharply disagreed with his ideas. I am sure there are many players, me included, who are thankful that Dan knows the rewards of perseverance.

One body of work I dearly admire is that of GM Soltis. He has not played a rated game except 10 in January of 2000 but nothing thereafter until this present day. He saw his ratings decline yet he is beloved and patronized by chess players everywhere because of his work. His books simply have in them usable ideas even to players my size.

To my book's credit, suffice it to say that it went through a vetting process within the editorial staff of Everyman comprised of GM Emms and notable IMs. In this regard, I will take their judgment of my work with pleasure over anybody's anytime. It feels empowering to get paid for your ideas deemed worthy of ink and paper by the true masters of this beloved game.

But do not take my word for it. Check it out and judge for yourself. See if my system of chess improvement will work for you as good if not better.

Best wishes,
Andres D. Hortillosa

Dan Heisman is quite articulate, but it is hard to take someone seriously who's rating is kept afloat by an artificial rating floor. If one cannot maintain a competitive rating by fair means, then do not compete.  

For those who do not understand what I mean by rating floor, it simply means that Dan Heisman's rating is protected from falling below a certain level regardless of how often he gets crushed. Such protection, no matter how well intended, calls the entire rating system into disrepute.

In my experience the main reasons why adults find it hard to improve is linked heavily to ego, a lack of openmindedness, stubborness and a pseudo intellectual need to question and overthink everything. Of course work, family and other committments play a role too, but somehow these seem to be less of an obstacle to overcome than the other factors I mentioned.

An untitled player with a low rating writing a book on how to improve at chess will be met, and rightly so, with scepticism. This is not to say that the effort may not be good, but in the absence of credibility by performance in tournament play then the author will have to work much harder to establish the readers trust.

Good luck with your book.

Tops Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #22 - 02/19/09 at 20:19:04
Post Tools
Dear Andres Hortillosa,

I find your replies quite fascinating. Personally, I remain unconvinced of your case. For example you keep using this straw man argument about non masters being able to write books, when no one is arguing against that.

Getting published is a great achievement nonetheless. I sincerely congratulate you on your achievements. I realize it is going to be impossible to debate this issue dispassionately, so I won't say anything more.

I wish you well.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

adh2050

Improving Chess Player!

Reply #21 - 02/19/09 at 19:42:52
Post Tools
Hi swingdoc, et al,

Thank you for your best wishes. I wish the same for you. Please do understand I have no ill feelings towards you. I am glad that you now realize where I coming from. However, to say that I am “quite invested in this book” is an understatement as its author.

I frequent the forum for opening ideas but I have only posted twice since my membership until I saw the discussion thread. My issue is not about fair criticisms of the ideas in the book, but that is not the construct set by earlier postings. I will allow you to question my chess credentials but please do not assail my character. It is also prudent to discriminate in your investments because like you I bought some really useless books in the past, including the ones by grandmasters. I also own books which were extremely beneficial in my own chess growth written by mere mortals. Dan Heisman’s and Sunil Weeramatry’s works are fine examples.

If you review previous postings, you will see what I am talking about with regards to the tone of the postings. It got worse when my credibility and Everyman’s was questioned. Suggesting dishonesty on the publisher’s part was a stretch. It is known that civility and fair argumentation are recklessly abandoned when people opine behind their handles. Please, let us restrain ourselves with our words because they have consequences. And some consequences may not be to our liking.

Again, criticisms about the book are fine but not “slanderous” remarks. I am sure this forum has some rules. I am surprised the moderators have chosen to remain quiet until now.

I am sure you are a decent person but I have yet to see you retract your views regarding your concern about the publisher’s blurb. For the record, never was there any intent on anybody’s part to mislead people. The lingua franca in the chess world is FIDE rating. The tournament the blurb describes was a FIDE event and was using FIDE rules exclusively. It got rated by USCF but only as a secondary benefit. In fact, most dual or triple rated players were listed only by their FIDE ratings. No players rated less than 2100 FIDE except four unrated were allowed to participate. Other events like the 2008 Berkeley International strictly limited entrants to 2200 FIDE. I wanted to play in it to seek for more improvement evidence (I call data sets in the book) but was disqualified by rating – and sadly by one point.

The comment about someone finding my rating graph is ridiculous as if this is not known or it is hidden in the book. And the undertone the find was suggesting deserves censure. I expected a reaction like this: “Wow, look at this patzer. He’s been languishing in his floor for years though once rated as Expert for 38 months. He suffers and agonizes over the same struggles to improve his game. He said he got very tired of it and look at what he just did. How did he do it?”
The follow up comment about the publisher not doing its research was fraught with absurdity so untypical of most chess players I know. It took over eight months and pages of sample drafts (imagine the work) before the work got accepted for a contract. In addition, the author’s credentials say that I was member of the All-Army Chess Team ten times. So to suggest then that the above line “unrated” means without USCF rating is simply outrageous.

All in all, I am thankful for the interest or disinterest in the book because clearly the discussion threads are getting some decent views from readers. What more can I ask? However, my aim is to limit the discouragement of those who are sincerely seeking for ways to improve their game from looking at the book even before its arrival.

Best wishes,
Andres D. Hortillosa
Improving Player

IP Logged

swingdoc

Improving One Day at a
Time

Reply #20 - 02/18/09 at 22:42:08
Post Tools
Mr. Hortillosa,

I understand that you are personally quite invested in this book. I believe you have answered all my questions in a round about way. Thank you for your time and good luck in your future tournaments.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo