Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) confused and need help (Read 7712 times)
winawer77

Re: confused and need help
Reply #25 - 02/03/09 at 17:43:02
Post Tools
Quote:
Back to Sunday: playing 1...d5 I it took me about 1 hour to reproduce the Reti mainline whereas my opponent just had used 2 minutes. After 17 moves he offered me a draw in a "dead" position. It was very hard work for me to get there (17 moves mainline!), cause I never played this line before and just had some look here on chesspub on it.

But I really learned a lot about the variation - if you think over the board you see a lot more than at studying variations. I saw some side variations which are not so good (my opponent was so kind to tell me afterwards as I asked him), but fortunately bypassed them.

I certainly agree that, in situations such as this, you can certainly discover a great deal, which in study time would perhaps go unnoticed. Rather than passively absorbing information from ChessBase/books etc, your brain is working overtime trying to work out all the variations. I've been in this situation myself and it is amazing how much you can see. In your specific case you managed to learn a lot and got a draw, so it was overall a good experience. However, if you were to do it again, being an hour down on the clock will, more often than not, prove costly.

I personally feel that chess theory is so well developed now that to play an opening off the cuff is asking for trouble, even if you may escape unscathed from time to time. Certainly at 2200+ level, I like to have some idea of what I'm doing, rather than having to reinvent theory with my clock ticking.

Ultimately we can all go our own way when it comes to chess development/study. We all enjoy chess for different reasons and know what works for us.

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #24 - 02/03/09 at 17:20:46
Post Tools
Quote:
I know exactly what you mean. Studying an opening is theoretical knowledge and is, of course, useful in itself, however, it isn't until you play it in a proper game that the experience really hits home. By playing your new variation you consolidate all that you have been studying and, for the first time, you discover exactly how much you understand. This gives you a reference point for future study.

Last Sunday I was on the black side of a Reti (1.Nf3 d5!? (I usually play Nf6) 2.c4)...

... I played the Kings Indian for about 20 years but two years ago I decided that I need to expand my repertoire - NI/QI (I lost all my games until now Sad) and Slav/Semi-Slav (no losses until now).

Back to Sunday: playing 1...d5 I it took me about 1 hour to reproduce the Reti mainline whereas my opponent just had used 2 minutes. After 17 moves he offered me a draw in a "dead" position. It was very hard work for me to get there (17 moves mainline!), cause I never played this line before and just had some look here on chesspub on it.

But I really learned a lot about the variation - if you think over the board you see a lot more than at studying variations. I saw some side variations which are not so good (my opponent was so kind to tell me afterwards as I asked him), but fortunately bypassed them.

You need to take some risk to improve - training alone doesnt help to understand chess!

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #23 - 02/03/09 at 17:06:53
Post Tools
Well, we generally seem to disagree on this one.  Smiley

I also want to win at all costs, it’s just that I have belief in a different (OK - I admit it - riskier) approach as I see it offers me more in the long-run.

Of course you speak by experience as you have seen both my level and yours. But I believe ultimately these choices have a lot to do with one’s personality, approach to risk, set targets (and corresponding timeframe) and of course available study / preparation time.

cheers again

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

winawer77

Reply #22 - 02/03/09 at 13:36:16
Post Tools
Quote:
My argument to you is that I prefer to practice many different positions (and risk losing some points) so to improve my chess understanding. Of course I am not as experienced as you are (my strength is below 2000), or maybe it's just me, but I actually need to practice what I study in order to make it part of my play (just studying on my free time does much less for me).

I know exactly what you mean. Studying an opening is theoretical knowledge and is, of course, useful in itself, however, it isn't until you play it in a proper game that the experience really hits home. By playing your new variation you consolidate all that you have been studying and, for the first time, you discover exactly how much you understand. This gives you a reference point for future study. In his excellent book 'The Road to Chess Improvement', Yermolinsky says that when attempting to incorporate a new line into his repertoire he simply bites the bullet and plays it. However, he also implies that he invariably does this against weaker opposition so any mistakes will not be so severely punished.

Personally, for me, this would not work. Not because I am incapable of playing openings that are not part of my active repertoire, but rather because I value the result above any 'learning' I may do during the game. Like I said 'Improve your chess understanding in your free time, not at the board'. A competitive chess game is difficult enough without having to rediscover the wheel in a tournament situation, especially when this is something that you could do in your own time. As the saying goes 'The harder the preparation, the easier the battle'.

This is my procedure for trying something new. Rather than biting the bullet and playing a new line in a rated game, I instead practice it on ICC. As its possible to play a large number of (admittedly poor) games in a short space of time I very quickly get a feel for how much I understand. This is how I use internet blitz - as a training tool. Your online rating doesn't matter (which, in my case, is just as well) and the final result of the game is of no importance. This is how I learn a new opening, I prefer to make my mistakes this way, rather than endure a baptism of fire in a FIDE rated tournament.

Quote:
(some of your posts are enlightening in many occasions)

Yes, this is true.

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #21 - 02/03/09 at 09:18:07
Post Tools
winawer77 wrote on 02/02/09 at 13:29:00:

Before I go on, forget all this rubbish about mainline openings having 'richer middlegames' and certain openings being 'good for your chess understanding'. Improve your chess understanding in your free time, not at the board. Winning is the most important thing, everything else is secondary. Therefore, if you are ambitious you will need to choose openings that maximise your chances of making this happen.

By playing main line openings you test your opponent (and yourself) by raising the stakes, both positionally and tactically.

Dear friend, though I generally liked your post (some of your posts are enlightening in many occasions), I'm still not convinced by your comment (the part I have selected above).

We both seem to agree that most main lines offer rich and widely diversified middlegames in contrast to 'system' openings (imo obvious, one has just to compare the otherwise super-elastic KIA with a fully diversified 1. e4 repertoire; when we examine 'system' openings I think it is a matter of less quantity of types of positions offered).

I'm also in the same frame of mind with you regarding: "Winning is the most important thing, everything else is secondary".

My argument to you is that I prefer to practice many different positions (and risk losing some points) so to improve my chess understanding. Of course I am not as experienced as you are (my strength is below 2000), or maybe it's just me, but I actually need to practice what I study in order to make it part of my play (just studying on my free time does much less for me). So, I would like to hear your opinion on that as I don't see it so clear-cut as you do.  Sad

P.S.: I agree that against really good players you need to raise the stakes from the opening (I usually don't even survive the opening against them!  Wink)

IP Logged

drkodos
God Member

I see....stars.

Reply #20 - 02/02/09 at 17:59:04
Post Tools
Antillian wrote on 02/02/09 at 17:55:04:
drkodos wrote on 02/02/09 at 17:48:35:
I think it funny that your post looks like I actually composed that and that it is part and parcel of my way of thinking!

Actually, I feel certain that some of the Iraqi and Afghani "insurgents" (emphasis mine) do!  And I do mean certain!

And now I am off to find more places to overuse exclamation marks!!

Wink

Not intentional on my part, the dangers of not using a full quote. But note in my post  I did refer to Wikipedia.  

I suspect actually that Donald Rumsfeld probably wrote that entry in Wikipedia himself.  Grin

And now I have re-edited that quote so that the continuity between our posts is skewered a bit!  I did not know you would respond so soon (!), or at all.... , and I am a notorious editor-on-the-fly often going back in several times before the server catches it as an "edit.!"

So much for an accurate recording of history, eh?   Wink

FWIW: To counter your Rumsfeld mention, I offer this more positive aspect of America Culture:  The best ad from the Stupor Bowl. On several levels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T_IpCVf3cA

Change is good.  Now if I can only recapture some of that youth I had a while back....

The Best of the best:  Snark at its finest.
http://www.hulu.com/superbowl/55719/super-bowl-xliii-ads-hulu-alec-in-huluwood

I now return this thread to its regularly scheduled posting.
« Last Edit: 02/02/09 at 19:41:25 by drkodos »  

I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #19 - 02/02/09 at 17:55:04
Post Tools
drkodos wrote on 02/02/09 at 17:48:35:
I think it funny that your post looks like I actually composed that and that it is part and parcel of my way of thinking!

Actually, I feel certain that some of the Iraqi and Afghani "insurgents" (emphasis mine) do!  And I do mean certain!

Wink

Not intentional on my part, the dangers of not using a full quote. But note in my post  I did refer to Wikipedia.  

I suspect actually that Donald Rumsfeld probably wrote that entry in Wikipedia himself.  Grin

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

drkodos
God Member

I see....stars.

Reply #18 - 02/02/09 at 17:48:35
Post Tools
dfan wrote on 02/02/09 at 16:41:46:
One thing worth remembering when your fear of being out-theorized kicks in is that everyone's rating is a more-or-less accurate assessment of their overall strength.  So if you're rated 1800, and you know that your 1800-ranked opponent is a theory fanatic and you're worried about it, keep in mind that if his theory is great for an 1800 player, the rest of his game is probably worse in comparison (otherwise he wouldn't have the results of an 1800 player!).  It's not like he's otherwise your total equal but also has a theory advantage.

I am not so sure ratings in the 400 gap that lies between 1600-2000 are as far apart as those sitting in the 400 point gap between 2300-2700.  Certainly it seems easier (as evidenced by the numbers that do it) to jump the former gap than it is the latter (yes, I know about K factor)!

What I think I mean is that below 2000, ratings are not as accurate an indicator of outcome as they are at the highest levels.  Therefore, ratings below 2000 do not fully serve the functions they are supposed to serve.

The next step in the sequence is a logical one.  Cool

Antillian wrote on 02/02/09 at 15:06:13:
drkodos wrote on 02/02/09 at 14:53:40:
In the modern era, the defenders' advantage has been gradually reduced, due to factors like the increased mobility of the modern forces, better communication technology and increased destructiveness of weaponry - reinforced underground bunkers which would previously have been unassailable can be eliminated instantly by bunker-buster missiles or tactical nuclear weapons.[citation needed]"[/i]

I guess the Iraqi insurgents and the Afghan Taliban don't read Wikipedia.

I think it funny that your post looks like I actually composed that and that the military sentiments expressed are part and parcel of my way of thinking!

No comment!

Wink

I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission.

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #17 - 02/02/09 at 16:41:46
Post Tools
One thing worth remembering when your fear of being out-theorized kicks in is that everyone's rating is a more-or-less accurate assessment of their overall strength.  So if you're rated 1800, and you know that your 1800-ranked opponent is a theory fanatic and you're worried about it, keep in mind that if his theory is great for an 1800 player, the rest of his game is probably worse in comparison (otherwise he wouldn't have the results of an 1800 player!).  It's not like he's otherwise your total equal but also has a theory advantage.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Reply #16 - 02/02/09 at 15:06:13
Post Tools
drkodos wrote on 02/02/09 at 14:53:40:
In the modern era, the defenders' advantage has been gradually reduced, due to factors like the increased mobility of the modern forces, better communication technology and increased destructiveness of weaponry - reinforced underground bunkers which would previously have been unassailable can be eliminated instantly by bunker-buster missiles or tactical nuclear weapons.[citation needed]"[/i]

I guess the Iraqi insurgents and the Afghan Taliban don't read Wikipedia.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

drkodos
God Member

I see....stars.

Reply #15 - 02/02/09 at 14:53:40
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 02/02/09 at 13:57:42:
 Attacking is easier than defending, especially with the clock ticking.  And people will fear you.

"Historically, it was generally true that defenders had an advantage over attackers. Battles commonly focused on sieges of important cities, allowing defenders to strengthen their position. They had the ability to make preparations for the battle to protect themselves from the enemy while making the enemy vulnerable, e.g. preparing positions such as trenches and fortifications or in more recent times laying obstacles such as land mines and tank traps. However, in encounters larger than the small scale, the attacker may often have the advantage, since they get to choose the time and place of battle. An attacker may concentrate their entire force on a small part of the defended area, while the defender is forced to spread their forces over the possible area of attack.

In the modern era, the defenders' advantage has been gradually reduced, due to factors like the increased mobility of the modern forces, better communication technology and increased destructiveness of weaponry - reinforced underground bunkers which would previously have been unassailable can be eliminated instantly by bunker-buster missiles or tactical nuclear weapons.[citation needed]"

Purloined from my "preferred" perveyor of "loose info", Wikipedia.  Original link here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_(military)

I think the tide is turning toward defense in chess because of computer analysis, but I fully agree w/ the pulled quote from Markovich.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Reply #14 - 02/02/09 at 14:00:02
Post Tools
When I first made a comeback to chess after a ten year absence, I fell in the theory phobic trap and tried to play lesser known lines. After initially getting very good results, after a while my results declined. White there were other reasons for this, I felt  a large part of the reason was that especially with White, I simply did not cause enough problems for my opponents. Thus, I am evolving now more and more to playing mainlines. That does not mean playing the most fashionable lines necessarily. One can opt for mainlines that pose genuine problems for Black without picking the neccesarily playing what all the big boys are playing.

What I am realizing more and more is that my fear of theory was misfounded for three reasons:

(1) Below FM level, most people simply do not know as much theory I feared. Persons generally know the major mainlines or just have an idea.
(2) Learning theory is not as hard and daunting as it first seemed. When you look at it the major tabiyas of most openings occurs in the mid  teens of move number. Reeling off say 10 to 15 moves of theory in a mainline is not as big  a deal as I once thought. Once you have studied any opening, it is easy to do.
(3) The great task of keeping up to date with theory is greatly exagerated. Yes, theory moves on, but the changes are not as fast or as critical as I imagined

Thus I now play predominately mainlines and classical mainlines. One big benefit of this, is that you see you see the ideas of mainlines, reinforced over and over in grandmaster games, both new and old.  Especially if you play classical openings, you will reap additional benefit in your understanding as you study older games.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #13 - 02/02/09 at 13:57:42
Post Tools
Tut, all this talk about what to play as White.  The essential problem, dear chessfriends, is what to play as Black.

But even so, I think a pretty good case can be made for boning up on the theory (for example) of the Botvinnik System and the Anti-Moscow Gambit, and going for the throat of the next Semi-Slav player you encounter.  Oh I know, he's going to be booked up too, but if you put in enough time, you'll find promising ideas that'll surprise him.  Attacking is easier than defending, especially with the clock ticking.  And people will fear you.

Black can't soundly play these Banzai attacks, and it seems a terrible shame to pass them up as White.

Further, it definitely is not true that studying sharp variations will hurt your chess development.  I find in some of the foregoing posts an unjustified dismissiveness of booked-up attacking players - as if these people don't know how to play chess once they get out of book.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

winawer77

Reply #12 - 02/02/09 at 13:29:00
Post Tools
I've always had mixed thoughts on this. However, a recent change in my opening repertoire has helped me come to a conclusion regarding the main line vs system opening debate. I've always been of the view that you should always play something that you understand, and as long as you understand it well, it is good enough to win with. This is true, but not as clear cut as I had thought.

Before I go on, forget all this rubbish about mainline openings having 'richer middlegames' and certain openings being 'good for your chess understanding'. Improve your chess understanding in your free time, not at the board. Winning is the most important thing, everything else is secondary. Therefore, if you are ambitious you will need to choose openings that maximise your chances of making this happen.

For example, as White, I have recently been playing the Torre Attack as a way of keeping my repertoire uniform, as I play the Slav/French/Caro-Kann as Black. Initially, results were good. I feel comfortable in a Slav setup (d4/c3 or d5/c6) with either colour. Or indeed in any position where I can maintain a pawn on d4/d5 with c3/e3 or ...c6/...e6 but have the queen's bishop outside of the pawn chain.

However, I have found that when playing 2200+ opponents (I am in the 2200-2300 range) I have found that the Torre simply isn't enough. Its a simple opening that works well against lower rated opponents, as simply playing solid positional moves you can (more often than not) outplay weaker opposition.

However, when you are up against someone of your own size you will need something else to break the equilibrium. Against a player who can do everything that you can, it is unlikely that playing simple Torre (or in your case Colle) moves will be enough to induce an error. By playing main line openings you test your opponent (and yourself) by raising the stakes, both positionally and tactically.

This is what top GMs do - its all relative, a 2700 wont beat another 2700 (very often) with a simple opening and the same is true for two 2200s or 1700s playing each other.

When playing against a stronger opposition, things get even worse. In these situations you are not pressuring your opponent at all. When playing Black, for instance, I (internally) jump for joy when an 1800 plays the Colle/London etc against me. I know that I will not face any tough decisions in the opening and will get a safe passage to the middlegame where I nearly always win. So by playing such an opening myself against a higher rated opponent, it is exactly the same situation, only in reverse.

This is the conclusion I have come to. I want to break the 2300 barrier and to do this will need to take points off of 2300/2400+ players more often. Every game I have won against 2300+ opposition has been in an unbalanced game and never in a strategically simple position, such as that reached through d-pawn specials. I still love the Torre, though, and will continue to play it - I just need to be a bit more selective.

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #11 - 02/02/09 at 12:09:31
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 01/31/09 at 18:02:24:
As to what to study, I don't buy the argument that you have to study main lines.  There's lots to study, and if having the Colle in your pocket frees you up to study middlegames, tactics, endings, etc., then I suspect you'll be better off doing that than spending your time on opening theory.  

The counter-argument here is that by studying main lines (not memorising, but understanding the plans as MNb says above) one gets to play richer middlegames. And because improving in chess has a lot to do not only with studying, but also with applying what you have studied in real games, you may gain much more.

As simple as that, plus the (much smaller) plus that you don't run the risk of getting bored with the consistency of the positions arising.

Having said that, I don't see a problem in including 'sidelines' or 'systems' in your repertoire, but playing only 'colle/caro/slav' is a bit too much (practical - OK, but there are better approaches to chess imo).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo