Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) confused and need help (Read 7751 times)
Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: confused and need help
Reply #10 - 01/31/09 at 18:23:05
Post Tools
Hello:

Starting Out: the Colle by Palliser seems very good. I have only used it a little to learn how to play against the Colle. But the sections are very good with great explanations.

Gerry

FischerTal wrote on 01/31/09 at 10:09:24:
If you find you are black against the Colle a lot then that is the opening you ned to prepare against, White always has leeway to not play the most active variations that is just a fact of life.

Maybe this should go in the D pawn special forum.
What are good sources for systems against Colle , torre, rompovsky etc.?  
Martin's DVD (has anyone seen this?)
Cox's boook
Delembo - beating anti KID
what do people think of the above
Gallagher - beating anti kid is good

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #9 - 01/31/09 at 18:22:48
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 01/31/09 at 18:02:24:
Some thoughts:

If you are happy with your Catalan then stick with that.  Don't jump for a supposed magic bullet.  There is no such thing.  

If you're looking for something new, then I agree with Bibs.  Perfectly fine to play the Colle.  

Whether to opt for the Colle or for main lines is an individual choice.  Depends in part on your level, how much time you have, and what you want to get out of your chess.  

I don't see anything wrong with starting with something like the Colle.  At some point, if you find that its not testing enough or if you start to get bored playing the same opening all the time, then you can start adding main lines.  

As to what to study, I don't buy the argument that you have to study main lines.  There's lots to study, and if having the Colle in your pocket frees you up to study middlegames, tactics, endings, etc., then I suspect you'll be better off doing that than spending your time on opening theory.  

Quite agree. Just want to mention that main lines, dont necessarily take up more time and if they do it often has the advantage that you are working on what are basically middle games. Personally I wouldnt go for the Colle or somesuch and I would stick with what you've got already.
I would wager that that chap, had he played the Catalan in stead of the Colle all those years, his results would have been better.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #8 - 01/31/09 at 18:02:24
Post Tools
Some thoughts:

If you are happy with your Catalan then stick with that.  Don't jump for a supposed magic bullet.  There is no such thing.  

If you're looking for something new, then I agree with Bibs.  Perfectly fine to play the Colle.  

Whether to opt for the Colle or for main lines is an individual choice.  Depends in part on your level, how much time you have, and what you want to get out of your chess.  

I don't see anything wrong with starting with something like the Colle.  At some point, if you find that its not testing enough or if you start to get bored playing the same opening all the time, then you can start adding main lines.  

As to what to study, I don't buy the argument that you have to study main lines.  There's lots to study, and if having the Colle in your pocket frees you up to study middlegames, tactics, endings, etc., then I suspect you'll be better off doing that than spending your time on opening theory.  

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #7 - 01/31/09 at 13:29:05
Post Tools
It is called puberty...
oh wait this is about chess.

I quite disagree, I dont see how you can get to a higher level if you consciously play sub-optimal moves. As the guy is a former champ I suspect the Colle didnt do much for improving his results in the long run.

Do a little digging on the Colle and see what to play as black against it. Next time you play the guy you may beat him.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

FischerTal

I Love Chess Books

Reply #6 - 01/31/09 at 13:15:21
Post Tools
Yes like Matemax one of the reasons I like to give theoretical openings a spin is so I can get a better understanding of grandmaster games even if I might get a better result playing more pragmatic openings at club level.

e.g. the other day I played a Berlin just to see what it was like to get some understanding of the Kasp-kram games though a diffferent defence would probably give me an easier game against this particular opponent.

It's like until I tried a couple of rounds of golf I never liked it on TV but once I had the experience of it I got quite interested in it.

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #5 - 01/31/09 at 10:16:22
Post Tools
Quote:
Why spend time trying to learn main lines when I’ll very rarely, if ever, see them?

I study the main lines to see why they are main lines - this improves my chess in general and gives me some insight what's currently going on (It's hard to follow tournanents like Corus when you have absolutely no idea what the guys are doing). Then I think where the players could deviate and why they do it (or why I would do it - one reason: too much theory is following, another one: I like the side variation). The Colle may also be seen as a side variation within the d4-openings - if you like it, play it. If the positions are nothing for you, keep on searching.

IP Logged

FischerTal

I Love Chess Books

Reply #4 - 01/31/09 at 10:09:24
Post Tools
If you find you are black against the Colle a lot then that is the opening you ned to prepare against, White always has leeway to not play the most active variations that is just a fact of life.

Maybe this should go in the D pawn special forum.
What are good sources for systems against Colle , torre, rompovsky etc.? 
Martin's DVD (has anyone seen this?)
Cox's boook
Delembo - beating anti KID
what do people think of the above
Gallagher - beating anti kid is good

IP Logged

drkodos
God Member

I see....stars.

Reply #3 - 01/31/09 at 06:07:01
Post Tools
confused wrote on 01/31/09 at 01:35:07:
So, what are your thoughts on this topic?

1. Must be a small state (population-wise) with few metropolitan areas.

2. Or a southern one.

Wink

I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #2 - 01/31/09 at 05:24:08
Post Tools
If your main goal is having a good time play whatever you like. If your main goal is to improve than study serious openings, but not by memorizing them. Try to understand them. That's what I have done and in otb play I usually are better after the opening against players of equal strength, with either colour. But I am blessed with a bad memory.
That former state champion of yours sounds like a lazy guy to me. There is nothing wrong with that of course; he obviously just wants to play. But the combination of Colle, Slav and Caro-Kann means that he strives for the same kind of play every game. Is specializing and limiting yourself like that really what you want?

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #1 - 01/31/09 at 02:34:33
Post Tools
Yes, Colle is fine. Sensible fellow - playing lower rated players who may be theoryhackers:

Just get into the middle game safely and outplay them. Same reason I sometimes play Torre and Tromp kinda stuff versus 2100s and below, particularly if low on energy, and/or haven't had time to look at chess for a while, and just want to play chess and win.

If you are low rated, and only play this throughout your career, the argument is that you limit your exposure to different types of positions, thus limit your chance to try to understand such a range of types of position.

But yeah, Colle is a decent practical weapon. It's all chess.

IP Logged

confused
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

confused and need help
01/31/09 at 01:35:07
Post Tools
In a tournament a couple months ago I had the fortune to play a 2100 player and former state champion. After the game (he played a colle) we got to chatting. During the conversation I asked why he played the colle and he said for amateurs openings don’t matter and not to bother wasting my time trying to learn the mainline stuff.  He said “you’ll be the only one that knows it” and you’ll never get to play it. He went on to say that most class players play off beat openings and it is a race to see who can get their opponent “out of book” first so I’d never get to play my mainlines. He said it took him a while to come to that conclusion but he has realized that no one plays them. He now plays the colle as white and the slav/caro-kann as black. He just gets into a middle game safely and then plays. He suggested that’s what I should do as well.
A month after this I was paired against him in the 1st round and again he played the colle. After the game we went outside and talked some more. He grabbed a few others to join us. After introductions I discovered one was a GM, one a master, and the third was another expert. He had taken lessons from the GM and the GM said the colle was perfectly alright for experts and below which is why he suggested it to this expert. The master said he too played the colle as his main white opening and he played the old Indian and Scandinavian as black. The other expert agreed the colle was a good opening then simply said he played d4 and very rarely castled. He later said he “loved” to play against fianchettoed kingside positions because he just pushes his kingside pawns and then mates.
I’ve thought about all of this since then and it does make some sense. Why spend time trying to learn main lines when I’ll very rarely, if ever, see them? It doesn’t do much good to study the black side of the Lopez when I see KIA, scotch and bishops openings. And why learn the grunfeld, nimzo or tarrasch when in last month’s tourney (as an example) I faced 3 colles.   Sad

So, what are your thoughts on this topic? Should I take their advice and just play the colle and other closed defenses as black? Or continue with mainlines? I played the grunfeld for a couple years and the tarrasch for a few and am currently looking into the nimzo. Against e4 I play the petroff and I play the catalan as white. Should I continue with these or switch to the colle/caro/slav?   Undecided

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo