Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New Alekhine Book pushed back (Read 69556 times)
lg
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: New Alekhine Book pushed back
Reply #44 - 12/04/09 at 21:43:32
Post Tools
slates

I am gald you have it. i wa snot so lucky.
O bough in the NIC website on thursday of the last week and yesterday (one week afterwards) I received the message that the book was out of stock ?! (and here "?!" is the same interpreation as
we use for a chess move)

good luck and good reading with the book

IP Logged

slates
God Member

Reply #43 - 12/04/09 at 18:43:33
Post Tools
Well, I have my copy now Smiley
Looks ok, only had a quick glance so far, strange how they titled it 'Play the Alekhine' as it isn't a Black repertoire, it's a 'Chess Explained' through and through.

IP Logged

lg
God Member

Reply #42 - 12/03/09 at 20:39:17
Post Tools
Thanks

Anyway, the review is not negative and even suggests that w emight see something interesting

IP Logged

Bowen

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #41 - 12/03/09 at 04:39:49
Post Tools
lg wrote on 12/02/09 at 18:22:03:

Bowen - where can we see Hansen's review on Taylor's Budapest book?

www.chesscafe.com

Scroll down to Checkpoint by C. Hansen, dated Dec 2nd

This review and comments on Taylor's Bird's Opening suggest that the author sometimes lets his enthusiasm replace cold, objective assessments of some opening variations.

IP Logged

lg
God Member

Reply #40 - 12/02/09 at 18:22:03
Post Tools
Marlovich - I bought my copy on last Thursday in the NIC site (when it appeared as selling in their site - however, my order
is, as today noon Europen time, still "being processed"?

Bowen - where can we see Hansen's review on Taylor's Budapest book?

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #39 - 12/02/09 at 13:57:14
Post Tools
Before I order, I'll wait to see if someone's book has shipped.  Would anyone ordering from NIC please post when you learn that yours has?  I like NIC, but I see no reason to loan my money to them.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Bowen

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #38 - 12/02/09 at 13:26:28
Post Tools
As we all know, Tim Taylor's Alekhine's Defence book is scheduled to be released next month. There has been some speculation as to how the opening will be approached. To get an idea of Taylor's style you may wish to check out Hansen's review on Taylor's Budapest Gambit. He praises the author's enthusiasm, but raises some questions.

IP Logged

slates
God Member

Reply #37 - 11/29/09 at 13:10:05
Post Tools
@ alumbrado - I also ordered mine there following an email alert, after it showed as 'shipping within 24 hours' - that was on Thursday and my order is still showing as 'processing' Sad
Mind you, they're normally pretty good, I must say. And the extra couple of days won't make any real difference to me - just impatient!

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #36 - 11/28/09 at 18:57:05
Post Tools
I had an e-mail from the Book Depository www.bookdepository.co.uk that the book had now been released and would be arriving in a few days.  So I await the post next week ...

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

Bowen

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #35 - 11/28/09 at 04:08:48
Post Tools
Chessvibes is advertising the book as "The Most Forcing reply to e4," hmmm, I wonder how Scandinavian players feel about that? Wink

IP Logged

lg
God Member

Reply #34 - 11/27/09 at 18:52:06
Post Tools
For anyone interested, the NIC store is already selling this book

IP Logged

thibdb13
God Member

Tal was the best

Reply #33 - 11/25/09 at 08:26:04
Post Tools
Ludde wrote on 11/24/09 at 11:02:38:
lg wrote on 11/23/09 at 18:24:10:
well, in amazon.co.uk it has been avaliable since October 15th.

in order to buy it quickly I would check the NIC store
(which appears advertised in chessvibes.com) or
in chess direct or the British chess shop.

Amazon is not reliable for recently published since they
advertise they already have it and do not.

Thanks for that...I have preordered from Amazon before and was disappointed with the time it took for delivery. I'll check out the NIC store

I "regularly" order books at the NIC store and I must say they are quite fast in delivering.

Yusupov once said that “The problem with the Dutch Defence is that later in many positions the best move would be ...f5-f7” but he is surely wrong.

IP Logged

lg
God Member

Reply #32 - 11/25/09 at 07:38:55
Post Tools
"Now available in Europe
Copies en route to the USA" from Gambit's website

Good luck and enjoy

IP Logged

lg
God Member

Reply #31 - 11/24/09 at 19:44:40
Post Tools
Craig

If you look at the pdf that gambit has put on his website, the exchange variation has not as many pages as I thought (which by the way, i dont mind)
As far as I see, 4PA, the old main line and the new main line (and others) have about 20 pages.
Exchange and Chase (?!) have about 14 pages,
moves different from 2.e5 about 20 pages, and
other replies on move 3, about 10.

So, I am intrigued about the small number of
moves on the exchange (although counting pages is certainly a wrong way to guess the contents).

I am going to read this book as a scientific romance, where most of all I would rather see
explanations for old and new lines, but I am not expecting the author to be detailed neither, by coincidence, focus on lines we have been debating here.

In my opinion, the analysis published in this site by some of us is quite good (for several times JW has picked it up), but is, in my opinion, about lines which are too specific and to the liking of some (see for instance the very long discussion on the 4PA with 9...Qd7 which was initiated a long time ago by Markovich). I am not expecting, in my lifetine, any book advocating such a line, but I see no reason not to play it.

I used the term scientific romance, because besides learning explanations, I also accept that books might help to extablish trends. If you look at the pdf, I think
the author will advocate, in the Miles, after
6. Be2 Bf5, the move 7. g4 that become famous,
or infamous, aftter a game by Kasparov with Short and which has been played against Short two more times (one draw and one win for Black). This move and Kasparov's subsequent pawn sacrifice have not been well seen by book theory (e,g, Cox's book).
However, it is curious to see the same sacrifice in a nice recent game Cheparinov- Narciso Dublan.
Since the "laboratory" Topalov-Cheparinov is well know, I wonder whether this was a consequence of some stufy after Topalov's loss (using a different line)
against Carlsen

Well, in terms of imprtant players, my guess and hope is to see Short playing it again soon.

I am also happy about the forthcoming book by Taylor since the two books will make a nice addition to the Alekhine literature (apparebtly they will be wuite different)

IP Logged

CraigEvans
God Member

If I can't sacrifice a
pawn, I'll throw my rook
in

Reply #30 - 11/24/09 at 18:34:04
Post Tools
I will be more interested to see his chapter on the Exchange. Will he have stumbled into this forum, perhaps? Will he have been tipped off by a colleague about the analysis on the ChessPub forum/website? I think Messrs. Markovich, Lg and Kam have been at the cutting edge of Voronezh theory for some time, and it would be interesting to see if any of it is considered worthy of a place.

Of course, if I could I would pay Messrs Markovich and LG write a book on the Voronezh alone. I cannot think of another opening line whose analysis has intrigued me so much.

"Give a man a pawn, and he'll smell a rat. Give a man a piece, and he'll smell a patzer." - Me.

"If others have seen further than me, it is because giants have been standing on my shoulders."
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo