Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What are the best books on the Dutch? (Read 16818 times)
TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Re: What are the best books on the Dutch?
Reply #8 - 01/04/12 at 11:51:01
Post Tools
Funny that so many mentions Avrukh, I don't really see the appeal of the system he advocates. Not very critical imo, but it'll need less updating - which is a trap many d4-repertoire books fall into. Spending most of their energy on the different Indians and then giving something 'simple' vs the Dutch before sending in the manuscript.

Btw, on the Iljin, it's main GM practitioner Simon Williams has a 6 hour dvd on it and if you want a second opinion at times, then Pinski's book on it could be worth having too.

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #7 - 01/04/12 at 05:51:49
Post Tools
For White, Avrukh's GM2. For Black, Kindermann's Leningrad Dutch for Leningrad, Winning With the Stonewall Dutch by Johnsen, Bern, and Adgestein for Stonewall Dutch.

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

Reverse

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 01/04/12 at 04:03:05
Post Tools
The Dutch Stonewall book published by gambit a few years ago, 2009. It was written by sverre johansson, IM Ivar Bern, GM Adgestein. I just love the fact that the dutch stonewall doesn't have to be played like an idiot with a Knife charging a pill box. Black can play on the queenside and in the center. The book lucidly demonstrates many plans in every variation that will pose your opponent serious problems.

IM Ivar Bern is a correspondence GM and he plays the stonewall dutch, thus it is tested at the highest levels with on going computer analysis.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 12/31/11 at 16:08:36
Post Tools
At club level, there are some more common anti-Dutch systems, I think. One is 1.d4 f5 2.Nc3, the other are gambits, as mentioned, with either e4 or g4.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #4 - 12/31/11 at 13:40:21
Post Tools
up and comer wrote on 12/31/11 at 06:15:18:
To play against it, and to play it yourself? I have no book knowledge on it, but have been seeing it a lot in tournaments. I want to know it completely and understand how I should play and the plans I need to use from both sides.

To play it yourself, you could begin with McDonald's Starting Out book and go on to for example Kindermann's book if you want to play the Leningrad.

But it's not an opening you read about and then know. The most important is playing it a lot and analyse where and why things went wrong. As black you can expect about 60% d4+g3 systems, the tricky thing is knowing what to do against the other 40% which ranges from the solid but toothless all the way to very wild gambits.

The bonus is that if you play it consistently with black, you'll end up with a large armoury of ideas to test when facing it with white.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #3 - 12/31/11 at 10:58:50
Post Tools
fling wrote on 12/31/11 at 10:43:36:
TN wrote on 12/31/11 at 09:46:16:
To play against it, and to play it yourself? I have no book knowledge on it, but have been seeing it a lot in tournaments. I want to know it completely and understand how I should play and the plans I need to use from both sides.

White: Avrukh's GM Repertoire Volume 2

Black: ChessPublishing.com

Smiley

Well, for the White side, there should soon be Wojo's Weapon vol. 3, I think.

For the Black side, it depends on what line you are thinking of. Kindermann and MacDonald has published on the Leningrad. Sverre Johnsen and Ivar Bern wrote a nice book in Win with the Stonewall Dutch. There are many more of course, just the examples that came to my mind.

I was thinking along the same line, until I realised that ChessPublishing covers all of these lines well. Don't forget the Iljin-Zhenevsky, ...Bb4 and Antoshin Variations.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 12/31/11 at 10:43:36
Post Tools
TN wrote on 12/31/11 at 09:46:16:

Smiley

Well, for the White side, there should soon be Wojo's Weapon vol. 3, I think.

For the Black side, it depends on what line you are thinking of. Kindermann and MacDonald has published on the Leningrad. Sverre Johnsen and Ivar Bern wrote a nice book in Win with the Stonewall Dutch. There are many more of course, just the examples that came to my mind.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #1 - 12/31/11 at 09:46:16
Post Tools

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

up and comer

What are the best books on the Dutch?
12/31/11 at 06:15:18
Post Tools

uscf - 2250

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo