Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Chess Book Review blog (Read 337279 times)
proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Re: Chess Book Review blog
Reply #432 - 06/25/19 at 14:59:24
Post Tools
Chesspub has not been what it once was for a long time, and Avrukh quotes the same correspondence game that Brabo does. (No offence was meant to you, Brabo - thus the emoticon.) Perhaps look at the book before dismissing it because he doesn't cite this forum or use your preferred engine?

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #431 - 06/25/19 at 14:56:21
Post Tools
brabo wrote on 06/25/19 at 07:10:30:
proustiskeen wrote on 06/24/19 at 19:21:45:
No doubt SF8 is still plenty strong for Avrukh and others to blundercheck their work.

We are entering a new era in which engines will not be used for only blunderchecking. Till recently it were humans developing the latest trends in the openings. That starts to change which we can already see at the very highest levels. Topplayers start to copy openings played by engines in their matches. I expect we will soon see the rise of new databases with millions maybe even billions of engine games all played at a level way beyond the level of a world-champion and containing a wealth of new ideas. Does this sound ridiculous to you? Well just check the https://lczero.org/ in which the counter is already at quarter of a billion games. Also one of the top novelties used in the latest worldchampionship by Carlsen was directly coming from an engine-match or what about the same 15 moves happening at the same day in a human and engine-match see https://www.chess.com/news/view/fide-grand-prix-moscow-semifinal-chess

Thinking or working with an engine still as only a blunderchecking tool is old school. I predict we will see in the next years a shift to a dominance of engine-games which will largely define the new trends in the openings.

bold emphasis mine

Absolutely.  Already underway. 

The transition is happening quickly and those that don't adapt will fall behind fast.

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #430 - 06/25/19 at 13:12:05
Post Tools
Firstly, you don't have to have a ridiculous computer to use LcO, mine is by no means a juggernaut. Brabo I really enjoy your blog, please do continue to do an English translation. In re the QC question, they are pretty straightforward that much of their work is very much group oriented. I think that neural network engines are going to improve very rapidly, and that good authors are probably making more use of them than perhaps we know. Andrew Greet maybe the unsung hero of the QC team, I think he does a great deal of work on most of the books they publish.

IP Logged

JFugre

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #429 - 06/25/19 at 11:56:58
Post Tools
The SF8 thing I get - it's the contempt setting that's worrisome to some folks, including me. With SF9 and SF10 you can disable the fixed contempt (or compile your own, as I do, with it removed) but there's a dynamic contempt that ramps up or down depending on how the eval jumps, and that's very hard to remove.

This surprised me but checking the code confirms that is true. Stockfish still uses some contempt in analysis even if you disable it. Crazy.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #428 - 06/25/19 at 07:17:49
Post Tools
To which I'd like to add that the Chesspub forum has build a certain reputation when it comes to analysis; GM Avrukh wouldn't have been the first author to refer to it. Also Brabo in that thread did an excellent job defending White's case (my work wasn't my worst either, but I don't want to compare my analysis skills to his - computers or not, ELO does mean something). The thread is all the more relevant exactly because our conclusion became LeonT's "a positional standing--to get small edge" and hence would suit GM Avrukh's books.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #427 - 06/25/19 at 07:10:30
Post Tools
No doubt SF8 is still plenty strong for Avrukh and others to blundercheck their work.

We are entering a new era in which engines will not be used for only blunderchecking. Till recently it were humans developing the latest trends in the openings. That starts to change which we can already see at the very highest levels. Topplayers start to copy openings played by engines in their matches. I expect we will soon see the rise of new databases with millions maybe even billions of engine games all played at a level way beyond the level of a world-champion and containing a wealth of new ideas. Does this sound ridiculous to you? Well just check the https://lczero.org/ in which the counter is already at quarter of a billion games. Also one of the top novelties used in the latest worldchampionship by Carlsen was directly coming from an engine-match or what about the same 15 moves happening at the same day in a human and engine-match see https://www.chess.com/news/view/fide-grand-prix-moscow-semifinal-chess

Thinking or working with an engine still as only a blunderchecking tool is old school. I predict we will see in the next years a shift to a dominance of engine-games which will largely define the new trends in the openings.

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #426 - 06/25/19 at 06:49:23
Post Tools
I'm more concerned that Brabo is willing to dismiss Avrukh's book because he (Avrukh) didn't read Brabo's blog!  Wink

I stated that the analysis were published here on chesspub not my blog so your remark feels like an insult to me. It seems you forgot that I started with the English chess-blog on the request of some readers here as they liked to have an English translation of my Dutch articles. I've spent countless free hours into the translation. This is no a joyful work so I am thinking to stop doing it especially after reading such kind of comments.

Also as stated by Stigma, most books of Quality Chess are collaborative efforts. Ntirlis still regularly checks chesspub (see profile of Ametanoitos). Likely other Quality Chess members also do. So why is this important piece of analysis (which by the way was mainly steered by the German FM Stefan Buecker ) not included into the book. In a blog on Quality Chess see http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/blog/7003 it was mentioned that one of the staff was half of the year ill and it has slowed things a lot. Could it be that this caused them to check less rigorously than usual the quality of this new book? What do you think?

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #425 - 06/24/19 at 20:42:11
Post Tools
Awrukh's books are based on a positional standing--to get small edge. In my experience with Stockfish is that she tends to overestimate tactics and space.

I wonder if it would be helpful to write books using both Stockfish (or Leela) and Komodo at same time, and using your own intuition to find your own evaluation of position.

Of course doing this might cause computer battery to die  Cheesy

IP Logged

proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #424 - 06/24/19 at 19:21:45
Post Tools
I'm more concerned that Brabo is willing to dismiss Avrukh's book because he (Avrukh) didn't read Brabo's blog!  Wink

The SF8 thing I get - it's the contempt setting that's worrisome to some folks, including me. With SF9 and SF10 you can disable the fixed contempt (or compile your own, as I do, with it removed) but there's a dynamic contempt that ramps up or down depending on how the eval jumps, and that's very hard to remove. Dann Corbitt has done it, but I'm not technically saavy enough to handle it on my own.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #423 - 06/24/19 at 18:38:07
Post Tools
So basically if some author cannot afford to buy high performance computer that allows Leela to run properly, their opening book is screwed ¿ Surely Stockfish would be at least helpful  Cheesy

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #422 - 06/24/19 at 16:15:27
Post Tools
With Quality Chess I get the impression that a lot of their books, especially the opening books, are really collaborative efforts with many of the usual suspects (the strong players at the office plus Ntirlis) checking analysis and text, looking for improvements, etc. And surely QC have state-of-the-art hardware and software for analysis at the office?

I would be more worried by this news if Avrukh wrote for a less diligent publisher.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #421 - 06/24/19 at 11:16:01
Post Tools
I was mildly surprised to hear that, as well. It would be interesting to know what engines different analysts use. i think not using LcO is a handicap to some degree; it is very strong.

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #420 - 06/24/19 at 07:18:11
Post Tools
proustiskeen wrote on 06/23/19 at 22:52:47:
Here's my June review of Boris Avrukh's Grandmaster Repertoire 2B: 1.d4 Dynamic Systems. Readers may want to check out the linked interview with Avrukh referenced at the head of the review.

https://chessbookreviews.wordpress.com/2019/06/23/end-of-an-era/

https://new.uschess.org/books/author-chat-boris-avrukh/

Avrukh still uses Stockfish 8. He hasn't yet get acquainted with Lc0. His recommendation against the classical Dutch completely ignores the in-depth analysis done here : https://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/chess/YaBB.pl?num=1369191586/60. This analysis was published 15 months ago so if this is missed in a book released this month then I have strong doubts about the overall quality.

I guess that Boris (just like Vladimir Kramnik and many other not so young players) has lost the motivation to do every day the hard work which is needed to keep track of all latest developments in chess. As Boris announced to stop publishing any new books, it is very likely that Boris himself is aware that he needs a new challenge.

IP Logged

proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #419 - 06/23/19 at 22:52:47
Post Tools
Here's my June review of Boris Avrukh's Grandmaster Repertoire 2B: 1.d4 Dynamic Systems. Readers may want to check out the linked interview with Avrukh referenced at the head of the review.

https://chessbookreviews.wordpress.com/2019/06/23/end-of-an-era/

https://new.uschess.org/books/author-chat-boris-avrukh/

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #418 - 05/31/19 at 23:54:49
Post Tools
They didn't send the entire Luftwaffe to Russia, there were still bombing raids on the British Isles after 1940-41.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo