Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Main Line Selection for White, 2200+ (Read 14942 times)
dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Re: Main Line Selection for White, 2200+
Reply #21 - 02/21/14 at 15:03:33
Post Tools
BladezII wrote on 02/21/14 at 06:10:01:
Yes, I agree, coming up with one's own ideas to counter Watson, for starters ditch the lines proposed by Tzermiadianos.  No offense, moving on with the times and with developments sometimes means doing changes such as these.

3.Nc3 still would be my main vs French, for all levels.

Hopefully I can "refine" his lines rather than "ditch" them. The whole point of learning a major opening is supposed to be that it's not a giant deal to back up a little and try something else if the main lines aren't working. I would hope I don't have to back up all the way to move 3. (Also, at the 2000 level this is probably less of a big deal.) [Edit: of course after I wrote this I looked at the actual thread topic and it explicitly says 2200+.]
« Last Edit: 02/21/14 at 16:06:51 by dfan »  

IP Logged

BladezII

Member of chesspublishing
.com and STC Club

Reply #20 - 02/21/14 at 06:10:01
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 02/20/14 at 14:04:58:
kylemeister wrote on 02/20/14 at 05:16:05:
"As always happens, there is no line that will last many years in the theory, and French expert John Watson has come up with a lot of interesting ideas against my proposed variation" -- Tzermiadianos in YB 105

That's just the natural progression of opening theory, and no reason not to use Tzermiadianos' book as a basis for study (as I know Kylemesiter is aware).  You just have to use your own judgment about which lines to follow and where to look for improvements, come up with a couple of your own ideas to counter Watson's, and off you go!

Yes, I agree, coming up with one's own ideas to counter Watson, for starters ditch the lines proposed by Tzermiadianos.  No offense, moving on with the times and with developments sometimes means doing changes such as these.

3.Nc3 still would be my main vs French, for all levels.

I am a participating member of chesspublishing.com since 1998.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #19 - 02/20/14 at 14:04:58
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 02/20/14 at 05:16:05:
"As always happens, there is no line that will last many years in the theory, and French expert John Watson has come up with a lot of interesting ideas against my proposed variation" -- Tzermiadianos in YB 105

That's just the natural progression of opening theory, and no reason not to use Tzermiadianos' book as a basis for study (as I know Kylemesiter is aware).  You just have to use your own judgment about which lines to follow and where to look for improvements, come up with a couple of your own ideas to counter Watson's, and off you go!

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #18 - 02/20/14 at 05:16:05
Post Tools

IP Logged

BladezII

Member of chesspublishing
.com and STC Club

Reply #17 - 02/20/14 at 04:23:42
Post Tools
dfan wrote on 12/06/13 at 03:37:56:
I've had great success (+4=1-1, 2194 performance compared to my usual 2003) with a repertoire based on Tzermiadianos' How to Beat the French Defense. It's based on the Tarrasch and there are lots of almost-main-lines (i.e., he deviates but on move 9 rather than 4). Honestly 1...e6 is the move I like most to see.

IM Watson, in his book "Play the French 4"  deals some very interesting blows to Tzermiadianos recommendations for White.  I would love to play vs that book ( anyone following those lines as White).

I would follow the advice on 3.Nc3 given above.  Khalifman's work is a good base if you are that advanced.

I am a participating member of chesspublishing.com since 1998.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #16 - 12/20/13 at 17:54:53
Post Tools
Agreed with Keano. 2.d3 introduces the idea of just playing chess. You don't even necessarily have to go for the typical KIA set-ups.

Many French devotees hate not getting the structures they are comfortable with, and this was particularly true with me for the decade I adhered to it. Positions with fluid tension, at lower levels, can easily befuddle them, because they are used to having the static central situation.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #15 - 12/20/13 at 11:03:31
Post Tools
Othy wrote on 12/06/13 at 03:18:15:
I need some serious help sorting out my struggles from the White side of the French.

Some background for understanding: I am ~2100 FIDE, getting back into competitive play after a few years hiatus. I am looking at future long-term competitiveness, and so am looking for an opening I can feasibly stick with for the foreseeable future. Main goal is to be competitive at 2200-2400 level. I have no qualms with deep study and learning theory if necessary (and am doing so in several other areas of my repertoire).

I was a 1.e4 player for my first 6 years of play, from beginner up to 1800. In 2005 I switched to a Catalan based repertoire. I scored well with that, but never felt entirely at home. I've decided to move back to 1.e4. The French is my primary struggle to come to grips with, as the literature is pretty saturated on the Black side of things currently.

I've always performed best with side variations of Main Lines, where I can throw the game into slightly original territory, develop some ideas of my own and battle it out from a solid foundation. Slight advantage positions where I can neutralize counterplay and let my opponent stew and self-destruct have always been huge point-scorers for me. In my early career I was a Tarrasch devotee. These days I can't find a line that I feel confident in, I feel like Black is in a pretty happy place in terms of theory there. I've toyed with 3.Nc3 as well as the Advance in some online exploration, but have yet to find any positions in them which feel comfortable. They don't seem to click for me intuitively, and I again feel like Black is satisfied with theory as covered in recent literature and advocacy for Black's cause.

So in frustration I turn to you. No other openings feels as threatening to my 1.e4 prospects as the French does right now.

As a French player myself, I can tell you that 2.d3 leading to the Kings Indian Attack, despite what all the books say, is not to be sniffed at.

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #14 - 12/08/13 at 15:14:05
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 12/08/13 at 07:42:13:
Well, a little unfair perhaps.
Just the KG book that was delayed.
Otherwise they have been rather prompt I think.
(and no, I have zero connection with QC, just a customer)

I love QC, but their publishing schedule is consistently optimistic. Generally the date they give is when the book will be out if everything goes just right according to current plans, rather than a more conservative estimate. That's fine as along as you don't take it for anything else.

IP Logged

tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 12/08/13 at 13:08:46
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 12/08/13 at 07:42:13:

rather prompt? for some books perhaps, but John Shaw just has a lot of work on top of writing books (editing other books and so on) so his books tend to get delayed massively, I found a publishing schedule where 'Playing 1.e4 - Sicilian & French' is announced for July

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #12 - 12/08/13 at 07:42:13
Post Tools
tony37 wrote on 12/06/13 at 20:20:36:
Aziridine wrote on 12/06/13 at 20:05:05:
I understand that "Playing 1.e4 - Sicilian & French" by Quality Chess is going to recommend the Tarrasch. Not sure when it'll be written though - the other (supposedly earlier) volume on 1.e4 doesn't have a firm publication date either.

the publishing schedule says: Winter 2013/14, which you should read as: at the very earliest Spring '14, Summer is more likely (and that is still rather optimistic)

IP Logged

gramsci

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 12/07/13 at 19:24:51
Post Tools
How about Tarrasch based on the Universal System / Kortchnoi Gambit?

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #10 - 12/07/13 at 17:37:33
Post Tools
Sveshnikov has written a 2-volume book on the Advance (2007 in English). I found it quite interesting!

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 12/06/13 at 20:20:36
Post Tools
Aziridine wrote on 12/06/13 at 20:05:05:
I understand that "Playing 1.e4 - Sicilian & French" by Quality Chess is going to recommend the Tarrasch. Not sure when it'll be written though - the other (supposedly earlier) volume on 1.e4 doesn't have a firm publication date either.

the publishing schedule says: Winter 2013/14, which you should read as: at the very earliest Spring '14, Summer is more likely (and that is still rather optimistic)

IP Logged

Aziridine

Reply #8 - 12/06/13 at 20:05:05
Post Tools

IP Logged

Othy
YaBB Newbies

Light, seeking light,
doth light of light beguile.

Reply #7 - 12/06/13 at 17:01:02
Post Tools
A wide range of views! Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I have to admit I would feel much more inclined toward the Tarrasch if I can make the lines work. Here I have the benefit of some experience, and the comfort that many Black players express discomfort against it. Tzermiadianos' work is probably top of my list right now to investigate.

I've tried some online practice with the Advance, just trying to follow some model game examples, and my results have been very poor. Clearly I am lacking understanding of many subtleties, but I think it revealing how uncomfortable I was in the positions and how unintuitive it felt to play. If I choose to take up the Advance, it will take a great deal of work just to begin feeling comfortable. Perhaps this exposes an area of weakness for me regarding closed centers that needs to be worked out.

From the Black side, I played the French for a few years, with good success in the Exchange, Advance, and the Winawer with 6...Qa5. I never gained much experience in the Tarrasch from the Black side as I met it very infrequently. The Two Knights, 2.f4, and even the Schlecter with 3.Bd3 came up more often than the Tarrasch.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo