Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Transpositions leading to the French Exchange? (Read 20881 times)
kylemeister
God Member

Re: Transpositions leading to the French Exchange?
Reply #13 - 04/24/15 at 23:26:04
Post Tools
The Exchange is in the third volume (and covers about 34 pages), according to the .pdf excerpt.

IP Logged

HagenWatch1

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 04/24/15 at 22:38:13
Post Tools
Does the Berg book series on the French in Grandmaster Repertoire talk about the Exchange Variation? I've got the first two volumes but I can't get my hands on the third because it hasn't been officially released yet in the States.

Edit: Just checked Barnes and Noble and found out its being released officially on May 28th and it will NOT cover the French Exchange variation. This raises an interesting question...would there be enough theoretical information out there to publish a separate volume dedicated to the French Exchange in the Grandmaster Repertoire series?

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 04/24/15 at 07:11:21
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 04/24/15 at 00:50:45:
What's "wasteland" chess--chess played with hollow men?

I mean using what initiative you have, not to improve your position as a winning attempt, but to remove all the possibilities for your opponent to do so.

This game for example

Taking on d5 at move 15 and exchanging Queens at move 28 leads to a very sterile position.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #10 - 04/24/15 at 00:50:45
Post Tools
MartinC wrote on 04/09/15 at 18:30:37:
Its a bit like the way Gallagher got very rude indeed about the Exchange KID in most things he's written - white might not be able to get much but they can do much sillier things than this before standing worse!

I agree, I think Gallagher is off the wall there. What I mostly get from Gallagher is that he really, really doesn't like it when his opponents play the Exchange. That reminds me of Anand complaining about Carlsen being good at getting "the driest dust," or Kasparov ruing how Kramnik maneuvered him into Berlin endgames. Frankly, it makes me, as someone very comfortable in endgames, want to play it more.

I guess I see the Exchange KID as a unique endgame variation in an opening where overall it's a lot harder for White to obtain a quiet game than in the French (a quiet game, not playing unilaterally for a loss--I mean a draw). There are quiet equal variations of that White can go for even in the Winawer, so the Exchange French doesn't stand out as much for such purposes. The Monte Carlo Exchange is used for a different purpose altogether, namely to get an open IQP position as White, i.e. one completely valid, but markedly inferior to IQP positions in the Queen's Gambit or Nimzo/QID. If you're good at playing IQP postitions as White, go for it.

RdC wrote on 04/09/15 at 20:37:46:
HagenWatch1 wrote on 04/09/15 at 15:27:41:
I was under the impression the French Exchange is hard to prove a draw if you're playing White. Because if that was true then everyone can simply go for the Exchange variation to put the French Defense to pasture.

I have found the Exchange variation with c4 a suitable weapon for playing for a win against players of a similar circa 2000 to 2100 standard. It can work below that rating as technique is not as good and above that in search of a draw if you are prepared to play "wasteland" chess.

What's "wasteland" chess--chess played with hollow men?

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 04/09/15 at 20:37:46
Post Tools
HagenWatch1 wrote on 04/09/15 at 15:27:41:
I was under the impression the French Exchange is hard to prove a draw if you're playing White. Because if that was true then everyone can simply go for the Exchange variation to put the French Defense to pasture.

I have found the Exchange variation with c4 a suitable weapon for playing for a win against players of a similar circa 2000 to 2100 standard. It can work below that rating as technique is not as good and above that in search of a draw if you are prepared to play "wasteland" chess. There is however one line or method of play where Black is able to liquidate all four of the c and d pawns, after which there's little left for either player.

Here's a win in under 20 moves

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 04/09/15 at 18:30:37
Post Tools
Just look at Guverich - Short (a while back now Smiley) for what to do to someone playing for a draw with white this way.....

Its a bit like the way Gallagher got very rude indeed about the Exchange KID in most things he's written - white might not be able to get much but they can do much sillier things than this before standing worse!

IP Logged

HagenWatch1

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 04/09/15 at 15:27:41
Post Tools
RdC wrote on 04/09/15 at 14:41:22:
Lanark wrote on 04/09/15 at 09:14:47:
There is also a transposition from the English,

There's more than you might think. Being able to extract something as White from typical French Exchange middle games, particularly those where c4 has been played can have its utility with the possible transpositions from other openings. Writers on the French usually denigrate the Exchange. I think that they are over pessimistic on White's ability to retain an initiative. That's not to say that Black cannot steer to a draw if that's his intention.

Has the updated version of Moskolenko's "Flexible French" been released yet? Because I loved the original edition (I lost mine a while back) but I'm glad to hear an updated version is coming out. I can't wait to see if he offers new ideas in the French Exchange.

What worries me is that your assessment may be correct and that White does have a nagging initiative when choosing this variation. I was particularly irked when I read a comment describing Katerina Nemcova's victory against (I can't recall who) as White in the current US Women's Chess championship going on in St Louis when she chose to enter the French Exchange variation with the apparent intention to "avoid" her opponent's possible preparation in the French Defense. This comment concerns me because it suggests this is the way to defeat booked up opponents in the French. I was under the impression the French Exchange is hard to prove a draw if you're playing White. Because if that was true then everyone can simply go for the Exchange variation to put the French Defense to pasture.

What's really concerning to see in the current US Chess championship though is the news that two of the exponents of the French Defense suffered bad defeats using this opening. Looks like John Watson will have to do some post mortem analysis and explain what went wrong.

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 04/09/15 at 14:41:22
Post Tools
Lanark wrote on 04/09/15 at 09:14:47:
There is also a transposition from the English,

There's more than you might think. Being able to extract something as White from typical French Exchange middle games, particularly those where c4 has been played can have its utility with the possible transpositions from other openings. Writers on the French usually denigrate the Exchange. I think that they are over pessimistic on White's ability to retain an initiative. That's not to say that Black cannot steer to a draw if that's his intention.

IP Logged

Lanark

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 04/09/15 at 09:14:47
Post Tools
There is also a transposition from the English, often played by GM Normunds Miezis:
1.c4 e6 2.e4 d5 3.exd5 exd5 4.d4

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 04/09/15 at 08:47:23
Post Tools
TN wrote on 04/09/15 at 01:26:52:
I can't think of any other particularly relevant ones.

Icelandic Gambit Declined

1. e4 d5 2. exd5 Nf6 3. c4 e6 4. d4 exd5 same as
1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. exd5 exd5 4. c4 Nf6

The verdict offered by works of theory as to the best moves and plans can vary according to the move order reaching the same position.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #3 - 04/09/15 at 01:26:52
Post Tools
The most obvious examples are 1.d4 d5 2.c4 dxc4 3.e3 e5 4.Bxc4 exd4 5.exd4 (1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.exd5 exd5 4.c4 dxc4?! 5.Bxc4) and 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Nxe5 d6 4.Nf3 Nxe4 5.d3 Nf6 6.d4 d5. I can't think of any other particularly relevant ones.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

HagenWatch1

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 04/09/15 at 01:06:47
Post Tools
Thanks for the information about this. The news about the Slav took me by surprise. I will need to investigate this. I hope the Grandmaster Repertoire book by GM Boris Avrukh on the Slav mentions this fact. If it does I need to study that line as well.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 04/08/15 at 23:44:38
Post Tools
The first couple of things I think of are:  1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. ed ed 4. Nf3 Nf6 can also be reached via the Petroff, and 1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. ed ed 4. c4 Nf6 5. Nc3 c6 can also be reached via the Winawer Counter-Gambit in the Slav.

IP Logged

HagenWatch1

I Love ChessPublishing!

Transpositions leading to the French Exchange?
04/08/15 at 23:08:59
Post Tools
Are there any openings that transpose to the French Exchange that I should be aware of in case I get into that situation?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo