Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Queen's Gambit... exchange and black is lost! (Read 4557 times)
GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Re: Queen's Gambit... exchange and black is lost!
Reply #4 - 12/11/16 at 11:51:18
Post Tools
Pingudon wrote on 12/10/16 at 18:12:32:
Is this variation really so strong?

Reading Max Illingworth's updates I get the impression that Black is generally fine against the exchange.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #3 - 12/11/16 at 01:06:03
Post Tools
You can start with 1...e6, and if people go into the usual 4.cxd5 stuff, you can also enter into the Semi-Tarrasch a la Kramnik. This is what I'm doing lately. I don't think Black has any huge problems, and it's certainly a little more double-edged that the Exchange QGD proper.

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #2 - 12/10/16 at 19:46:48
Post Tools
Play 1...e6  and then Nf6 and then d5. This way you are going to avoid some exchange variations. Black holds OK but it's not easy to get winning chances,  as Black.

If White  plays 3.Nc3 he is in the way of aging the QGD exchange anyway,  but at least 50% (usually more) you will face 3. Nf3,  where is less probable the move cxd5.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 12/10/16 at 19:01:36
Post Tools
I tend to think of it like this:  if you were to study, say, the recent Chess Publishing material in which Max I. opines that "White can’t count on an advantage in the main line of the Exchange QGD," should you be terrified that it will be insufficient against your opponents?

IP Logged

Pingudon

Hi chess friends!!

Queen's Gambit... exchange and black is lost!
12/10/16 at 18:12:32
Post Tools
All the books of opening theory suggest exchange variation against the QGD (so it must be very strong and easy to play) . Super GM begin their games as if they are going to play Nimzo and only once 3.Nf3 is played they move 3...d5. So they are afraid of the exchange variation (I think). Is this variation really so strong? I want to play french against 1.e4 and Tartakower against 1.d4 but first the Gods put the exchange variation. What do you think? Do I need to learn the Nimzo to be able to play QGD with confidence?. Thanks a lot for your help. By the way Short, Vaganian and Beliavsky used to play the QGD all the time but things have changed.

GTalk  
IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo