Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Amount of theory in NID/QID vs. other openings (Read 13326 times)
CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Re: Amount of theory in NID/QID vs. other openings
Reply #10 - 04/11/19 at 15:09:08
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 04/11/19 at 14:45:02:
BobbyDigital80 wrote on 04/11/19 at 10:36:13:
I can't find anything about the book "Understanding the Nimzo-Indian Defence." Who wrote it?

Perhaps he meant mastering the Nimzo?

Of course, sorry. The book is "Mastering the Nimzo-Indian: With the Read and Play Method" by our boss here (Tony Kosten). It's a starting guide book about typical pawn structures and plans, not a theory book in a way we are used to in 2019.

But I have to say that nowadays is a waste of time to study in depth the nimzo in terms of profit vs investment time, because very few people plays in the 1.d4 2.c4 3.Nc3 vs our move order. Some people here said this already. Few people play 2.c4 and when you see it: "Wow! Someone is playing c4!!!" then you see Nf3 on move 3...

Myself I am avoiding NID both with White and with Black Grin If everybody allowed me to enter into nimzo waters, I will play a lot more Nf6-e6 move order as Black against 1.d4.

And yes, Sielecki book on the Nimzo+Bogo is very good. I played his Bogo recommendations for a while, obtaining good positions out of the opening almost every time.

Salut,

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 04/11/19 at 14:52:13
Post Tools
bragesjo wrote on 04/11/19 at 14:09:24:
I can add one more thing, I noticed that most clubplayers either transposes to french or plays 2 Nf3 if black plays the mover order 1 d4 e6 even if they enter Nimzo in normal cases, maybee afraid of Dutch? I have even met 1 d4 e6 2 e4 in corr games.

At first i thought it odd because many players using that move order as black probably play the french also. However, i guess some might not do so.

Also, it probably makes it easier for white not to be move ordered as via 1...e6 you have a wide range of openings you can move into other than the dutch or Nimzo including the Modern Benoni, Nimzo, QGD and Blumenfeld.

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 04/11/19 at 14:45:02
Post Tools
BobbyDigital80 wrote on 04/11/19 at 10:36:13:
I can't find anything about the book "Understanding the Nimzo-Indian Defence." Who wrote it?

Perhaps he meant mastering the Nimzo?

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #7 - 04/11/19 at 14:09:24
Post Tools
I can add one more thing, I noticed that most clubplayers either transposes to french or plays 2 Nf3 if black plays the mover order 1 d4 e6 even if they enter Nimzo in normal cases, maybee afraid of Dutch? I have even met 1 d4 e6 2 e4 in corr games.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #6 - 04/11/19 at 14:01:43
Post Tools
IsaVulpes wrote on 04/11/19 at 10:36:18:
Almost everyone I've seen goes 3.Nf3 ...
I asked a talented youth at the club how she plays against 1.d4, her reply was "I play the Bogo-Indian."

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #5 - 04/11/19 at 13:57:36
Post Tools
I dont play QID but I think that Nimzo is actually not that theory demanding if one plays like "Opening Repertoire: Nimzo and Bogo Indian" by Christof Sielecki. Very easy to play and forgivning opening combo. Only problem could be d-pawn specials one neads to learn as well since they are more popular at club level than 2 c4. I have tried that books recommendations in Nimzo corr games as well.

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Reply #4 - 04/11/19 at 10:36:18
Post Tools
CanadianClub wrote on 04/11/19 at 08:52:08:
I disagree.

Isn't this agreeing  Lips Sealed

I agree as well, fwiw :^) The 4.Qc2 mainline I combat with some concrete stuff one has to know a bit about, and all the Bg5 lines are somewhat important to handle properly, but most of the Nimzo, even playing the absolute top database choice till move 10, can be handled over the board.

I don't play the QID, so I'm not sure how similar it is in that respect (personally, when looking at the positions, they always looked less natural for Black to me - in particular the A0 pawnsac line of course), but even if it amounts to some kind of work, you can of course always pair the Nimzo with something else (I play the QGD after 3.Nf3, and if the standard one is too boring for you, then the Ragozin is always an option; Sielecki in his book recommends the Bogo, which also shouldn't be too much work; and if you already play the Benoni, you can of course also go for that, while having avoided the most critical tries)

E: The main reason that I can see to steer clear of the Nimzo is that it's a big question how often you actually get it on the board.
I've been playing the Nimzo in OTB play since the Gustafsson video series on it was released (end of 2016, so a little over 2 years), and in the 80-100 games (well, halve this since only Black matters) that I got in that timespan, I managed to get.. 3? 4? Nimzos on the board (default opponent in the 1800-2100 range).
Almost everyone I've seen goes 3.Nf3, so if you really really want to play some NID games, you may end up disappointed (akin to the Marshall, which I also .. try to play  Wink ); while if you play something like the KID, you're always going to get something resembling the positions that you want.

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 04/11/19 at 10:36:13
Post Tools

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #2 - 04/11/19 at 08:52:08
Post Tools
I disagree.

In the NID, there are lots of possible variations for White (4.Qc2, 4.e3, 4a3...) to take care of. But once you get a feeling about what's going on in the opening (in general) there are very easy to find and very easy to figure out over the board. There are some tactical lines where a little knowledge is important, but there are also alternatives to this "critical" variations that are absolutely playable.

"Understanding the Ninzo-Indian Defence" and "The Nimzo-Indian Move by Move" are two not-too-heavy single volume books that explains the major nuances of the NID.

Grünfeld, semi-slav or KID are, imho, more success-theory-dependant than NID.

I don't play QID and maybe there are critical lines, of course, but it seems to me (from a certain distance, as I don't play it) that are not very difficult to start playing it confidently. As with any opening out there, the more you play it, the more you'll going to understand it.

PD: another easy source to follow, a little video gem: "The Knock-Out nimzo" (http://badbishop.com/bbpages/dnimzo.html), in aprox and hour... Nimzo explained.

IP Logged

fjd
God Member

Reply #1 - 04/11/19 at 05:49:48
Post Tools
Maybe the breadth of theory is greater, but there's a lot less that you absolutely need to know (I'd argue) than in the MDP KID or the Bg5 Semi-Slav, for example.

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Amount of theory in NID/QID vs. other openings
04/11/19 at 04:50:05
Post Tools
If someone takes up the NID and QID, is that twice the amount of theory that other openings like the KID or Semi-Slav have? I want to play the NID and was wondering how much QID theory there is compared to it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo