Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Keep It Simple 1.d4 by Sielecki (Read 46066 times)
Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Re: Keep It Simple 1.d4 by Sielecki
Reply #52 - 06/27/19 at 17:13:49
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 06/27/19 at 16:48:43:
Well, that 6. Bc4 in the Schmid Benoni isn't exactly new.  There was a Yearbook article on it some years ago which regarded it as a good try for an edge.

The weird thing with 6.Bc4 is it seems to make one of Black's other plans stronger: ...Bg4 to get rid of a minor piece, followed by ...Nbd7, ...a6 and usually ...Ne8-c7, playing for the ...b5 break but also sometimes ...f5.

I have struggled with White against that plan even in its most common version (with White playing Be2), and it looks like White will lose time compared to that with Bc4 and Qxf3 because he probably doesn't want to allow ...Ne5xc4. So I'm skeptical. But I will take a look at what Sielecki has to say about 6.Bc4.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #51 - 06/27/19 at 16:48:43
Post Tools
Well, that 6. Bc4 in the Schmid Benoni isn't exactly new.  There was a Yearbook article on it some years ago which regarded it as a good try for an edge.

IP Logged

winawer77

Reply #50 - 06/27/19 at 16:09:57
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 06/25/19 at 15:58:11:
I'm curious what he recommends against the Grunfeld, Benoni, and Benko, or how he avoids those lines.  Also the King's Indian. 

Grunfeld is met by 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 g6 3.g3 Bg7 4.Bg2 0-0 5.0-0 d5 6.c4 with typical play for this line.

King's Indian is (after the above moves) 5...d6 6.b3.

Benoni and Benko are avoided, instead he goes into commonly recommended anti-Indian systems against them, but with his own twist.

Benoni is met by 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 c5 3.d5 g6 4.Nc3 Bg7 5.e4 d6 and now he recommends the new 6.Bc4!? with the idea of discouraging ...e6

Benko is met by 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 c5 3.d5 b5 4.c3!? Instead of the usual 4.Bg5, although Bg5 usually follows at some stage.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #49 - 06/25/19 at 15:58:11
Post Tools
I'm curious what he recommends against the Grunfeld, Benoni, and Benko, or how he avoids those lines.  Also the King's Indian.

IP Logged

winawer77

Reply #48 - 06/21/19 at 09:32:33
Post Tools
Thanks everyone for advising me on how Chessable works. So I took the plunge and bought it! For an existing 1.d4 2.Nf3 player this repertoire is potentially of great value to me. Sure, I would prefer a paper book to the MoveTrainer, but as I couldn’t wait for it to be printed (November, I think) I decided to try out Chessable. I don’t regret my purchase.

If anyone wants to know what he recommends against any particular variation then please ask away. I won’t give any analysis away but will share the main repertoire choice.

As far as ‘Keep it Simple’ goes, this book is very different from the 1.e4 book. That one gave clear pawn structures and plans against each black response. 1.d4 is quite the opposite - though our initial moves are the same 1.d4, 2.Nf3 3.g3 etc there are transpositions into other openings everywhere. Clear plans are often sidelined in cases where Black sharpens the play at the outset, resulting in often obscure and non-typical pawn structures that are uncommon (in my experience) for a traditional 1.d4 player. It’s very much an ‘Avrukh-lite’ repertoire; there’s a huge amount of material to work through.

If you are attached to your d-pawn and like a typical presence in the centre with the pawn occupying d4 or d5 you will find a lot of the recommendations go against the grain. The pawn will often be exchanged off by a ...c5 from Black, often with your pawns still on c2 and e2, so don’t think it’s just an English. Sometimes with dxc5 from White, sometimes allowing ...cxd4 into Reversed Grunfeld setups. These positions are very unique to this repertoire and make full use of the specific delayed c4 move order Sielecki recommends. That in mind, there’s a decent case for entering the repertoire via 1.Nf3, 2.g3, 3.Bg2 and only deciding to play d4 in some cases, or even go into a Symmetrical English if you prefer that to the recommended positions where your d-pawn gets exchanged off so early.

It’s a good repertoire and I look forward to trying it out more online and eventually over the board. I can’t wait for the book to be published though as I find this way of absorbing the information much easier. In the meantime I’ll stick the rep into my own ChessBase files as I learn it.

IP Logged

doefmat

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #47 - 06/17/19 at 15:45:13
Post Tools
winawer77 wrote on 06/14/19 at 12:07:39:
I’m very interested in this repertoire as it’s a perfect way of avoiding Benko/Benoni/Grünfeld (among other things) without having to resort to d-pawn specials all the time. This repertoire could solve many problems for me before I  just switch to 1.c4 entirely.

However, I’ve never used Chessable, and I’ve had some difficulty in finding out what it’s like. Is everything done through the MoveTrainer program, or is there any traditional analysis like you would expect in ChessPub, for example? Is there a book/index to search for a specific variation, for example?

Apologies if these questions are a little off-topic, but the website (at least to me) doesn’t make it as clear as I apparently need it to be.

You can browse repertoire tree by making moves.  You can also just read the chapters without training the moves. I have two of his products, the 1.e4 and the 1...e5 Petroff repertoire but I personally use Chess Position Trainer for storing/training my repertoire.

Maybe in the future I'm going to switch to the Chesstempo opening trainer because offline software like this is getting outdated. And I absolutely hate Chessbase. (and don't understand why it hasn't got a spaced repetition training mode like CPT and Chessable).

Chesspub; where people devote their whole life to find novelties on move 26 just to blunder on move 27

IP Logged

tp2205

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #46 - 06/16/19 at 20:44:00
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 06/14/19 at 09:24:43:
katar wrote on 06/13/19 at 23:16:44:
JFugre wrote on 06/13/19 at 20:36:40:
every new book immediately has tens of enormously glowing reviews
Yes, it seems an enormously glowing "review" is part of the bargain to become a "beta-tester" at Chessable.  (Beta-testers get the e-books for free.)

This is an exaggeration. There have been a number of "non-glowing" reviews from beta testers too, and the company explicitly encourages reviewers to be honest. But you have to understand the dynamic here: The beta testers volunteer for it, and usually they will volunteer only for courses they already want or are interested in, or even have in another format and already love. From that starting point they spend many hours to help improve the product. And if they have major complaints that could have resulted in a negative review, these will often be addressed and fixed before publication.

So it's not surprising that most reviews by beta testers will be very positive. Though I once helped beta test a course where the comments from us testers were negative enough that Chessable decided not to publish it in that form since it needed a lot more work from the author.

Full disclosure: I have beta tested around 7 courses for Chessable, and my reviews have been very positive. I've simply chosen to help only with courses I had every reason to believe would be excellent and relevant to me.

I fully agree. You volunteer for courses you are interested in and in my experience most issues that are raised will be  addressed during beta testing. So a >= 4 star rating should not be a surprise. But even so one of my reviews was pretty negative about the course it discussed and I also gave only one 5 star rating so far.

One additional point is that there are no guidelines I know of that tell you how to decide whether a course deserves a 1-, 2-, 3-, 4- or 5-star rating. I believe most reviewers tend to be a little bit too generous when in doubt.

My suggestion is to look at the pro and con sections most reviews contain and check other reviews by the same reviewer. Then you get a better idea of how strict or generous the given reviewer is.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #45 - 06/15/19 at 12:19:36
Post Tools
I’m very interested in this repertoire as it’s a perfect way of avoiding Benko/Benoni/Grünfeld (among other things) without having to resort to d-pawn specials all the time. This repertoire could solve many problems for me before I  just switch to 1.c4 entirely.

However, I’ve never used Chessable, and I’ve had some difficulty in finding out what it’s like. Is everything done through the MoveTrainer program, or is there any traditional analysis like you would expect in ChessPub, for example? Is there a book/index to search for a specific variation, for example?

Apologies if these questions are a little off-topic, but the website (at least to me) doesn’t make it as clear as I apparently need it to be.

Just sign up and get one of the free courses to test it out. Personally I am not a fan of the Move Trainer, I'm old school that way. On the Plus side some of the courses are quite good and some are exclusive, moreover if you really like the KIS course you could consider creating your own pgn file from it.

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #44 - 06/15/19 at 03:18:54
Post Tools
Is everything done through the MoveTrainer program, or is there any traditional analysis like you would expect in ChessPub, for example? Is there a book/index to search for a specific variation, for example?

If you mean that if they give you a .pgn or .cbv download file, no, you have to move pieces on your own each line with its programme.

I believe that there is tree section where you can look at what the lines are as an overwiew. But this is not the same as when you going through lines like in ChessBase where you scroll your cursor to get through the moves.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #43 - 06/15/19 at 01:31:32
Post Tools
Burgess has a good anti-Benoni section in his Cunning repertoire book. I use a combination of his lines, Maroczy bind lines, symmetrical English lines, and lines with ...c5 d5 and Nc3 in front of the c2 pawn to avoid it (though I used to do ok against real Benonis, I just didn't enjoy it). I'm hoping Sielecki will have something interesting to add here.
« Last Edit: 06/15/19 at 20:22:26 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

Pantu
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 06/14/19 at 21:58:17
Post Tools
I'm not so familiar with Chessable either, but this will be published in book format later this year (I assume by New in Chess) so you can have a standard paper book with this format if you can wait.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #41 - 06/14/19 at 19:29:40
Post Tools
I'm pretty sure that it allows the Grunfeld (the semi-symmetrical g3 lines), as well as many versions of the Benoni (though I'm not exactly sure what he proposes after 1.d4 c5 or 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 c5, so coukd be wrong).  If it converges with lines covered in Wojo's Weapons or Avrukh's books, there could be more work for White than you'd think.

IP Logged

winawer77

Reply #40 - 06/14/19 at 12:07:39
Post Tools

IP Logged

Matute
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #39 - 06/14/19 at 11:19:33
Post Tools
katar wrote on 06/13/19 at 23:16:44:
JFugre wrote on 06/13/19 at 20:36:40:
every new book immediately has tens of enormously glowing reviews
Yes, it seems an enormously glowing "review" is part of the bargain to become a "beta-tester" at Chessable.  (Beta-testers get the e-books for free.)

I would be interested in a thorough/objective review of the new Sielecki product.  Why is it better than similar attempts, like Wojo's weapons or the older Donaldson/Hansen Strategic Repertoire (or even Avrukh for that matter)?  The video-samples are not encouraging from my point of view.  For instance, the promotional bit about the novelty played in Ding Liren - Caruana 2019 suggests to me that the repertoire is far beyond simple.  It could have been subtitled, "Keep it simple, and outprep Caruana."

We are not gonna play Caruana though

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #38 - 06/14/19 at 10:32:22
Post Tools
Thanks Stigma, that is very enlightening. It is only sensible to want to review things where you have an interest/ background expertise.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo