Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Playing the Petroff by Dhopade (Read 36792 times)
TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Re: Playing the Petroff by Dhopade
Reply #17 - 04/18/20 at 03:09:16
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 04/18/20 at 01:53:55:
I agree most amateurs who play in club and swiss events will want a different defense. But not all. If they are young and ambitious, planning to be a GM someday, then the Petroff would be ideal paired with a sharper option, like the Sicilian for Makarichev, or the Winawer for Yusupov. I can see a huge demand for this title in India and China. Whether they will actually sell many copies in those countries is doubtful, unfortunately.

Edited:
Above I was replying to TopNotch, not to MW.

I agree with that.

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #16 - 04/18/20 at 01:53:55
Post Tools
I agree most amateurs who play in club and swiss events will want a different defense. But not all. If they are young and ambitious, planning to be a GM someday, then the Petroff would be ideal paired with a sharper option, like the Sicilian for Makarichev, or the Winawer for Yusupov. I can see a huge demand for this title in India and China. Whether they will actually sell many copies in those countries is doubtful, unfortunately.

Edited:
Above I was replying to TopNotch, not to MW.

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 04/18/20 at 01:46:39
Post Tools
Excellent correspondence weapon.....theory is; not too complex and is also fairly stable unlike some variations of the Sicilian or French etc.......

Also happy to play it OTB and to be honest have often very much enjoyed playing the positions I've reached.

Another thing going for it is that players of the white pieces often treat it with contempt and find themselves in some pretty terrible positions ....lets face it how much time does the average amateur 1 e4 player send studying positions against an opening like the Petroff?

IP Logged

ehpotsirhc

Reply #14 - 04/18/20 at 01:45:47
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 04/17/20 at 22:01:26:
No matter how good this book may or may not be, I do not see the Petroff ever becoming popular at amateur level, as there is very little upside for Black. Furthermore the opening is just not sexy enough below GM and IM level, not to mention Black is under tremendous pressure in a few key lines, although admittedly he can hold the balance with precise play but the positions are definitely no fun for him. Below Master level Black players need sound but active defences to thrive.

Bullet Proof rep won't help much against an Armor Piercing attack. Wink

Interesting perspective. What are examples of black openings you think are better suited for amateurs?

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #13 - 04/17/20 at 22:01:26
Post Tools
No matter how good this book may or may not be, I do not see the Petroff ever becoming popular at amateur level, as there is very little upside for Black. Furthermore the opening is just not sexy enough below GM and IM level, not to mention Black is under tremendous pressure in a few key lines, although admittedly he can hold the balance with precise play but the positions are definitely no fun for him. Below Master level Black players need sound but active defences to thrive.

Bullet Proof rep won't help much against an Armor Piercing attack. Wink

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

doefmat

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 04/17/20 at 12:00:33
Post Tools
Kingside castling in the modern mainline always looked pretty scary to me but maybe the book can convince me to try it.

Bb4 instead of the Four Knights also looks interesting.

Chesspub; where people devote their whole life to find novelties on move 26 just to blunder on move 27

IP Logged

ehpotsirhc

Reply #11 - 04/16/20 at 23:39:02
Post Tools
tracke wrote on 04/16/20 at 18:17:08:

Looks nice, indeed. Will definitely get it when it comes out

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #10 - 04/16/20 at 18:17:08
Post Tools

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #9 - 01/13/20 at 02:35:34
Post Tools
MW wrote on 01/13/20 at 00:57:10:
The two Lakdawala books are also very good reads and I was impressed with the fact that there was little cross over of material between the two books. But in the Opening repertoire edition if you look at the "new main line" as he calls it, he offers a number of different lines for black resulting in the level of depth in each option being a little on the thin side for a repertoire.

I suppose so. I analysed the Petroff and made my own personal files for analysis. I spent probably one whole month on this opening, analysing it everyday, so yes if I did this maybe he could have added more analysis in his book.

Also, I analysed the line with 8...b6 in the New Main Line myself, and it seems like Black has to know what he is doing to avoid getting attacked. The queenside fianchetto means that Black lags in development, especially since he already has castled kingside.

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 01/13/20 at 00:57:10
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 01/12/20 at 18:45:48:
You think the Fight 1.e4 like Caruana repertoire isn't good/modern enough?

Leon_Trotsky wrote on 01/12/20 at 23:01:42:
But there were books by Cohen and Lakdawala on the Petroff as well.

I have Fight Like Caruana and it is very good, excellent in fact, but I was referring to printed material. I haven't finished this course and unlike a book I find it hard to flick through and look at the more challenging lines for black. Chessable products are still a work in progress for me, great if you want to simply learn variations but for use as a reference source I'm not proficient enough with the product yet.

The two Lakdawala books are also very good reads and I was impressed with the fact that there was little cross over of material between the two books. But in the Opening repertoire edition if you look at the "new main line" as he calls it, he offers a number of different lines for black resulting in the level of depth in each option being a little on the thin side for a repertoire.

As for Or Cohen's book I have nothing but absolute admiration for the guy. He was pretty much unknown at the time and he put together an excellent book, one or two lines might have been on the edge but IMO that took nothing away from the finished product. Trouble is it is seven years old now and theory on the Petroff has moved on, hence I welcome Quality's new volume on this opening.   

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #7 - 01/12/20 at 23:01:42
Post Tools
But there were books by Cohen and Lakdawala on the Petroff as well.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 01/12/20 at 18:45:48
Post Tools
doefmat wrote on 01/12/20 at 17:35:27:
MW wrote on 01/12/20 at 17:31:45:
doefmat wrote on 01/12/20 at 10:25:23:
What do you mean with long overdue?

IMO the last authoritative book on the Petroff was written by Sakaev in 2011..hence the time has come for a up-date and I'm hoping this new book will provide that.

Perhaps he is referring to print sources?

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

doefmat

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 01/12/20 at 17:35:27
Post Tools
MW wrote on 01/12/20 at 17:31:45:

IMO the last authoritative book on the Petroff was written by Sakaev in 2011..hence the time has come for a up-date and I'm hoping this new book will provide that.

Chesspub; where people devote their whole life to find novelties on move 26 just to blunder on move 27

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 01/12/20 at 17:31:45
Post Tools

IP Logged

doefmat

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 01/12/20 at 10:25:23
Post Tools
MW wrote on 01/11/20 at 21:43:38:
According to the publisher Swapnil has played the Petroff a few times although it is not the backbone of his repertoire. They do go onto say that they still think his analysis of it is first rate.

They have given no hint as to whether he will recommend 6...Bd6  (as per the Caruana repertoire) or the more usual 6...Nc6 against the old main line.

Regardless it is a long overdue book (IMHO) and one I'm looking forward too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo