Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Open Ruy Lopez (Read 200726 times)
Zwischenzugzwang

I Love ChessPublishing
& chess pubs!

Re: Open Ruy Lopez
Reply #61 - 07/11/11 at 09:45:44
Post Tools
I'm somehow in love with the Keres-Variation 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4. Ba4 Nf6 5.0-0 Nxe4 6.d4 b5 7.Bb3 d5 8.dxe5 Be6 9.Qe2 ([B81]). But that seems to be totally out of fashion?  Cry

Zwischenzugzwang

What do people mean when they say "Chess is the pawn of the soul"?

IP Logged

Daniel

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #60 - 07/11/11 at 07:02:05
Post Tools
Yandemirov?

IP Logged

CraigEvans
God Member

If I can't sacrifice a
pawn, I'll throw my rook
in

Reply #59 - 07/10/11 at 09:50:25
Post Tools
Ametanoitos wrote on 04/06/11 at 12:14:27:
He recommends 2 lines against Nbd2. He plays Nc5 and g6 in his first recommendation. He ommits the quick Nd4 line (a known idea where White sacs the e5 pawn) but even worse his main line there stops in a winning position for White! In his second suggestion (a modern Nxb3 line) He says nothing about the critical plan with a quick Re1 for White when he stops the main idea ...f6 of Black. Then Black should play "a la Short" with ...a5 but this plan is not even mentioned by Martin! Black is again slightly worse there, but following Martin's recommendations you are not going to get just a "+/=" but probably a "+/-".

Also his recommendation against Keres' quick Qe2 line looks supsect to me. OK, Black may have adequate counterplay somehow but again Martin fails to spot the critical continuations!

This man has done some nice things in the past. So, i don't think that he is bad at what he is doing. I mean that he can do something good, but the last products by him are at least awfull! He claims that he doesn't do them for GMs to see but (as i am an experienced coach myself) the way he presents the material and his choices of the lines are even worse for a normal club player. I regret every cent i have spent on his recent DVDs.

Do you want more details?

Interestingly, I discovered this 9...Nc5, 10...g6 line independently a few months back, and have been playing it with success in correspondence (albeit not against particularly strong opposition). I wasn't aware that there was theory on this line, let alone an established pawn sacrifice! Could someone be so kind as to let me know what the "main line" of this is considered to be, and what lines are currently critical? The idea of pressuring the e5 pawn and re-routing the e4 knight to d7 whilst making the Nbd2 look less useful is an appealing one, so it'd be nice to try and patch this up if it requires it!

Also, since my attempted improvement in the Yandemirov has failed, I'm kind of desperate for a line against the RL, so this could rescue me!

"Give a man a pawn, and he'll smell a rat. Give a man a piece, and he'll smell a patzer." - Me.

"If others have seen further than me, it is because giants have been standing on my shoulders."
IP Logged

Daniel

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #58 - 05/25/11 at 03:15:08
Post Tools
11. a4 b4!? is interesting but white is slightly better either way.  I also analyzed some of the lines after 11... bxa4 that were given by Ametanoitos as worthy of study.

Some of the lines analyzed after 11. Nd4 were simply losing for black (an example is given below.  I don't believe I analyzed further than 23. Qh3 in the version of the file I posted though).  I tried to provide some alternatives but white is again still for preference.

9. Nbd2 Nc5 10. c3 Bf5 is objectively dubious but not so horrible as to be unworthy of playing against an unprepared opponent.

IP Logged

NeverGiveUp

Never despair in a lost
position

Reply #57 - 05/16/11 at 14:54:53
Post Tools
Thanks a lot for this Daniel.

Can you please summarise - have your analyses lead to any (major?) changes to my original analyses, or of the evaluations of the critical positions?

IP Logged

Daniel

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #56 - 04/28/11 at 02:09:19
Post Tools
Sorry for the double post.  Can't otherwise figure out how to attach the updated file.

IP Logged

Daniel

I Love ChessPublishing!

updated pgn of 9. Nbd2 Nc5 10. c3 Bf5!?
Reply #55 - 04/27/11 at 23:04:40
Post Tools
I compiled NeverGiveUp and Ametanoitos's analysis of 9. Nbd2 Nc5 10. c3 Bf5!? into a pgn file and quickly updated it a bit.

Edit: Added some analysis of 11. a4 b4!? among other things

« Last Edit: 04/28/11 at 02:08:30 by Daniel »  

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #54 - 04/07/11 at 12:35:11
Post Tools
Precisely, eveyone has a right to his view, and it's fun to read them all here.  I don't think that a discussion of a book or a DVD that includes sharp criticism of the work is necessarily a bad thing for sales, either.  People who come here will recognize that everyone has his own taste, and make up their own minds.  This forum would be a lot less interesting if every discussion of a book or CD were devoted entirely to its praise.  Let's face it as well, some of these products are stinkers.  We may not all agree on which ones, but it's fun to read opinions even in that vein.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #53 - 04/07/11 at 11:28:50
Post Tools
Mr Martin, thank you very much for posting here and showing that you respect the opinion of some of your supporters (i believe that i am because i have bought at least 10 products that have your name in them). But without too much details i'd like you to tell us your opinion about the quality of your last products. Do you sincerely believe that the Open Lopez DVD has the same quality as say your Czech Benoni DVD? (which was nice) Or even the Scandinavian or Dutch DVDs?  Do you really believe that your recommendations against the main line Nbd2 can be used by an average club player? Or do you believe that Black is fine in those positions? Would you like from me to provide specific analysis in those positions?

IP Logged

IMAndrewMartin

Reply #52 - 04/07/11 at 08:57:56
Post Tools

Greetings,

I have been pointed in this direction by friends. All I will say is that everyone has a right to their individual point of view.

Best Wishes to all CP subscribers and enthusiasts.

Andrew

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #51 - 04/06/11 at 12:14:27
Post Tools
He recommends 2 lines against Nbd2. He plays Nc5 and g6 in his first recommendation. He ommits the quick Nd4 line (a known idea where White sacs the e5 pawn) but even worse his main line there stops in a winning position for White! In his second suggestion (a modern Nxb3 line) He says nothing about the critical plan with a quick Re1 for White when he stops the main idea ...f6 of Black. Then Black should play "a la Short" with ...a5 but this plan is not even mentioned by Martin! Black is again slightly worse there, but following Martin's recommendations you are not going to get just a "+/=" but probably a "+/-".

Also his recommendation against Keres' quick Qe2 line looks supsect to me. OK, Black may have adequate counterplay somehow but again Martin fails to spot the critical continuations!

This man has done some nice things in the past. So, i don't think that he is bad at what he is doing. I mean that he can do something good, but the last products by him are at least awfull! He claims that he doesn't do them for GMs to see but (as i am an experienced coach myself) the way he presents the material and his choices of the lines are even worse for a normal club player. I regret every cent i have spent on his recent DVDs.

Do you want more details?

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #50 - 04/06/11 at 07:55:39
Post Tools
fortify wrote on 04/05/11 at 19:43:08:
oh.what lines does he recommend then, against maybe 9 nbd2?i m interested as Iplay the Open Ruy.

You dont need anything else than a subscription to 1.e4e5 chesspublishing - the current host, Victor Mikhalevsky is an outraging expert on the Black side of the Open Ruy Lopez!

IP Logged

fortify
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #49 - 04/05/11 at 19:43:08
Post Tools
oh.what lines does he recommend then, against maybe 9 nbd2?i m interested as Iplay the Open Ruy.

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #48 - 04/05/11 at 17:50:08
Post Tools
fortify wrote on 04/02/11 at 19:06:24:
The last post wasnt too helpful. Why is it bad?

Have you even seen it?

Yes, i have seen it. Very bad repertoire suggestions and bad presentation of these suggestions. Most of Martin's recent DVDs are just bad. The sae for his latest QGD one.

IP Logged

Laramonet

Gwyddbwll am byth !

Reply #47 - 04/05/11 at 14:24:13
Post Tools
I've ordered it anyway ! I'll give me impressions when I receive it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo