Latest Updates:
Normal Topic what's up with the Tarrasch??? (Read 2612 times)
Paul Hopwood

Re: what's up with the Tarrasch???
Reply #3 - 02/16/05 at 14:07:34
Post Tools

White also seems to be doing well in several variations of the main line and Gelfand has been dishing out problems to 9...c4 players.

For further details, see either 'Queens Gambit for the attacking player' or the more up to date, Play 1 d4.  They will add flesh to the bones, but essentially Inn2 is right.  White gets a comfortable edge in the main lines and can make Black defend for the draw forever and a day.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Paul Hopwood

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #2 - 01/17/05 at 08:42:43
Post Tools
Since the first match Karpov-Kasparov the Tarrasch is out of favour, so one should study the games of that match first.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #1 - 01/17/05 at 07:43:51
Post Tools
Speaking as a White player I am always happy to see a Tarrasch. It just means my opponent is going to suffer for hours  Grin. It's one of the surest ways to get out of the opening alive, but not much more than that. Even "harmless" attempts like 1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nf3 c5 4. cxd exd 5. Bg5!? are poisonous for Black, not to mention the rubinstein main lines. The theory hasn't moved much, mainly because hardly anyone wants to take the black pieces nowadays (Grischuk's recent game against Gelfand is the last one I remember, and he suffered for hours before resigning).

IP Logged

krugman

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

what's up with the Tarrasch???
01/17/05 at 07:32:01
Post Tools
Hi everyone!

In my quest to find a non-mainstream defense to d4 that is still sound and yet active, the tarrasch (and the classical dutch, and the benoni...) sprung to my mind! But, it is not widely played nowadays so that I was wondering what was it's theoretical status. Are there some lines that are particularly troublesome for black???
Thanks for your help!!!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo